EU Chief: Vacationing is a human right, will be subsidized for the less wealthy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So we need a federal law to mandate it?

I get more than 2 weeks and most people I know get more than that too. Time to fire up your job search.

Yes, we need a federal law to mandate 1 month. Firing up job search does not help. Usually when you start over you get 2 weeks, then the company adds 1 day for every year.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
When people who hate themselves and don't know it inevitably project that self hate out onto others, they look around for somebody who is getting something for nothing so as to feel justified in labeling those others as being as worthless as they themselves feel.

Simply put, people who have become swine because they were made to feel so dump swine shit on others wherever they go, but always on weaker and less fortunate folk than they so as to preclude getting any swine shit back. This is how swine attain the status of ego hog.

And these swine collect together in herds of the sty, recognizing each other by smell.

you know what, shut the fuck up. This has nothing to do with self-hate (btw, I love myself), it has to do with stupidity of the progressives in Europe.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yes, we need a federal law to mandate 1 month. Firing up job search does not help. Usually when you start over you get 2 weeks, then the company adds 1 day for every year.

Boo freaking hoo. The federal government has no business mandating vacation time. Go to work and earn your vacation time like everyone else. Many companies also give you the ability to 1) buy additional vacation time 2) take unpaid time.

I started here with 18 days of paid vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year off. Plus we also get 3 additional Fridays off during the summer if we agree to work 30 minutes additional during the work day during the summer months.

At my last job, I think it was 12 days of paid vacation but we had the option to buy up to 5 additional days.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think the Federal government is just the entity to mandate 1 month vacation, because that would level the playing field.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I think the Federal government is just the entity to mandate 1 month vacation, because that would level the playing field.

I have a better idea -- how about the federal government work on more important things (you know, like the deficit) and let employers and employees work out vacation details?

You guys are amazing. What next, do you want the government to start mandating that companies give employees nap time too?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I have a better idea -- how about the federal government work on more important things (you know, like the deficit) and let employers and employees work out vacation details?

You guys are amazing. What next, do you want the government to start mandating that companies give employees nap time too?

Vacation is important too. Federal government should work on that as well.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I wonder if this kind of thinking is common in the EU. I guess we can look forward to more Greek-like economic meltdowns in a few years if that is the case.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Vacation is important too. Federal government should work on that as well.

No, it isn't something the government should work on. You guys and your nanny state mentality are ridiculous. I hope you are being sarcastic and that my meter is broken.

Don't like your vacation time? Go find another job with better vacation policies. It isn't a difficult concept. The vacation policy at my current company was one of the reasons (not the only one) I chose to work here rather than staying at my last employer.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think if given a choice between 2 more weeks of vacation or lower deficit, I'd have to go for the 2 weeks vacation, hmm, maybe time to write to my representative.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I think if given a choice between 2 more weeks of vacation or lower deficit, I'd have to go for the 2 weeks vacation, hmm, maybe time to write to my representative.

Which part of "find a new job with a better vacation policy" is confusing? Top employers offer compensation packages designed to attract top employees. Fortunately I work at one of the top places in the US and have all sorts of goodies in my package. :)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Which part of "find a new job with a better vacation policy" is confusing? Top employers offer compensation packages designed to attract top employees. Fortunately I work at one of the top places in the US and have all sorts of goodies in my package. :)

Good for you, as for me, I am writing my rep.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Good for you, as for me, I am writing my rep.
The only recourse for an idiot who can't do anything for himself. If you want a great salary and great benefits, get a great skillset which warrants them. Then again, I suppose it is easier to just whine about it until all of the other deadbeats in the country jump on your bandwagon which is pulled along by the productive members of society.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
This is almost certainly made up by the tabloids. Not becasue it would never happen - I can think of worse ways to spend taxes than sending carers, poor children, the disabled, etc on holidays - but simply becasue we can't afford it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The only recourse for an idiot who can't do anything for himself. If you want a great salary and great benefits, get a great skillset which warrants them. Then again, I suppose it is easier to just whine about it until all of the other deadbeats in the country jump on your bandwagon which is pulled along by the productive members of society.

Deadbeats don't care about only having 2 weeks vacation. It's the productive members of society that need more vacation time. I have a great salary and benefits, just vacation time to spend the salary is lacking. I could be out there creating tourism jobs right now.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

On the flipside, what are the negatives to mandating 4 weeks of vacation a year instead of 2?

There'd be a loss of productivity in comparison to other nations, but could it be offset by a surge in general health and well-being of the populace? Better diets, lower blood pressure, more time to get involved in the community? Stronger familial bonds and more knowledge of what's going on in your kids' lives?

The government already mandates X for the populace, so I don't really see an issue in investigating if X is the optimal value.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Its just another stupid proposal that will be shot down - just like so many dumb proposals in both EU and USA.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
On the flipside, what are the negatives to mandating 4 weeks of vacation a year instead of 2?

Why is it the government's job to mandate vacation time? It sets a bad precedent. What next -- studies show that mid-day naps are good for you, so the government will mandate that companies have you allow you to take a nap?