Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I'll switch one of my rigs over to ZEC and check it out. No way to create a ZEC wallet in windows?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah this is just ridiculous. A lot of people getting rich today. This a scam coin with tons of hype, really kind of sad to see this honestly.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I think for mining you have to go Linux or Windows 7. Windows 10 seems like a no-go. I'm sure this will be fixed in the coming days but for now it's a mess. Oh well hopefully this will lower ether difficulty a tad. What a weird day.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Yeah this is just ridiculous. A lot of people getting rich today. This a scam coin with tons of hype, really kind of sad to see this honestly.

There's none changing hands at those prices, go look at the buy/sell depth. Real depth doesn't start until less than $10, and most of it is less than $1.25.

I think for mining you have to go Linux or Windows 7. Windows 10 seems like a no-go. I'm sure this will be fixed in the coming days but for now it's a mess. Oh well hopefully this will lower ether difficulty a tad. What a weird day.

Mining with the genoil miner on W10 no problem.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
There's none changing hands at those prices, go look at the buy/sell depth. Real depth doesn't start until less than $10, and most of it is less than $1.25.

One day I'll learn how to read these damn charts. Thanks.

Let me know if genoil doesn't crash within 30 minutes :D

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

So what's the profitability of this new coin right now?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Might have to check that out later then. ETH difficulty is off the chain. Too bad the USB stick for one of my Linux machines bought the dust earlier today . . . sigh.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Made it 65 :p before a very very hard crash.

Yeah very buggy :(

Genoil seems pretty fast with releases though so I bet he'll get things stabilized soon.

I even have two nearly identical machines with the same Sapphire 480 cards, same parameters etc and one machine genoil miner crashes on launch every time, while the other mines for 30 minutes or so before crashing.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
btw I think the #1 reason we don't have a crypto forum here is that the mods are probably worried it'll wind up being a trollfest ala poloniex's trollbox. It's difficult to have a good, organized discussion about crypto without manipulators showing up and making a mess of things.

Sad but true.

#2 reason is probably that they don't want impromptu buying/selling of cryptocurrencies taking place over the forums. Probably.

Reactions: thepaleobiker

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'm still mining ETH. Already some reports of fake Windows wallets for ZEC which have stolen people's crypto-exchange credentials (gold rush mentality) and drained their accounts. Personally I have my wallet machine encrypted and air gapped from the rest on a separate network. One can't be too paranoid with new binaries from questionable sources.

Reactions: Feld and Madpacket

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You can mine ZEC directly to an exchange account. I'm mining to Poloniex right now using nheqminer. I haven't produced any ZEC yet that I know of so it's in a test phase on my end. Also nheqminer slowed to 0 Sols/s for some reason so I have to figure out why that happened. A reboot was required to correct the problem.

It may be that nheqminer doesn't like coexisting with games like Dirty Bomb running in the foreground.

edit: btw nanopool is running 0% commission on ZEC right now.

lienad216

Sep 10, 2016
What's with the price of ETH? Just noticed its dipped below 11$ now and it seems the network hashrate has gone down a bit (etherchain.org stats, was at 7.5k GHs a few days ago and its at 6.7k now)

Was there an announcement of some sort? The last I heard of was geth releasing fixes and a fork for the DoS attacks.

lienad216

Sep 10, 2016
It's difficult to have a good, organized discussion about crypto without manipulators showing up and making a mess of things.

This is very true. I've seen other forums with a thread about bitcoin and 3 out of 4 posts is some ad about cloud mining or gambling or some thing or other.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This is very true. I've seen other forums with a thread about bitcoin and 3 out of 4 posts is some ad about cloud mining or gambling or some thing or other.

That's easy enough to moderate out (ban poster/remove post). The main problem are people like uh . . . well let's not mention any names, but imagine someone making seemingly-informed posts actually acting as a shill for their own position or to defend the position of someone paying them.

Now imagine a forum where 80+% of the posters are all like that. Straight-up shills. What fun.

edit: I'm getting this thing with nheqminer where it will say:

read_until: End of File

then it reconnects to the stratum server and the Sols/s starts a steady decline, all the way to 0 Sols/s. I have no idea why it's doing that. Anyone else using nheqminer?

edit edit: I've tried genoil's Windows miner but it consistently produces 0 S/s and produces no GPU load. Using version 3.2 .

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm using Win 10, Crimson 16.6 driver. Was using Genoil and was getting ~20Sol/s on each of my 290s but that miner kept crashing so I'm using the Nicehash miner (which I think is nhqeminer) which is much more stable, but a bit slower I think.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
zcash really seems like the price will just keep going down...the more we mine, the bigger the reward (to a point), the more coins there are, so supply gets bigger, and so demand goes down? This seemed like a great way for pool operators to "premine" lol. Not sure whether to add any hardware for it...