Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 97 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
So just curious. Now with the difficulty at 90Th have you guys stopped expanding your mining farms? I stopped about a month ago.

I promised a while ago I would update the thread if I ever get to 1Gh. I did a while back but thought I would share a screen shot my results. I'm not in this for bragging rights, there are people with with 6x the hashing power. Just wanted to share what I accomplished in a standard house without doing anything to my power box.

http://imgur.com/a/3aE3C

All rigs are made up of Radeon 480's except for a Radeon Fury, a 970 and a 1070. The 1070 just died though after only 6 weeks of mild mining. Or at least I think it's dead (need to diagnose to be sure).

I have another 230Mh outsourced as I ran out of practical limits power and heat output etc. The outsourced cards are composed of eight 390's.

Anyways this is my limit. I've spent many hours building and tweaking. It's been a lot of fun (and profitable!) but unless the Ether price doubles before Proof of Stake this is as far as I go.

Fun times!

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I stopped at 62MHs lol. And since the price of Eth kinda help steady/dropped, I'm likely going to stop mining eth soon.

Neurodog

Jan 11, 2000
I'm at 260MH and was thinking of getting another 480 but now I'm not sure...My power is not too bad in Quebec, Canada but it's about 26-28 degrees in the house with the windows open.

Kozlow

Jul 25, 2016
So just curious. Now with the difficulty at 90Th have you guys stopped expanding your mining farms? I stopped about a month ago.

I promised a while ago I would update the thread if I ever get to 1Gh. I did a while back but thought I would share a screen shot my results. I'm not in this for bragging rights, there are people with with 6x the hashing power. Just wanted to share what I accomplished in a standard house without doing anything to my power box.

http://imgur.com/a/3aE3C

All rigs are made up of Radeon 480's except for a Radeon Fury, a 970 and a 1070. The 1070 just died though after only 6 weeks of mild mining. Or at least I think it's dead (need to diagnose to be sure).

I have another 230Mh outsourced as I ran out of practical limits power and heat output etc. The outsourced cards are composed of eight 390's.

Anyways this is my limit. I've spent many hours building and tweaking. It's been a lot of fun (and profitable!) but unless the Ether price doubles before Proof of Stake this is as far as I go.

Fun times!

Nice Job!
Its ok to brag a little.

This is my first go with mining, in retrospect I wish I would have started sooner and moved a little faster.
I'm only up to 200mhs, I might buy one or two more.
Hard part is trying to figure out when to sell the Eth, should I sell before Proof of Stake, right after or hold on to it
to see if price grows.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Thanks guys. I wonder if we have enough hashing power with our forum members to start our own pool :)

lienad216

Sep 10, 2016
Anandpool?

On the other hand, what's next? I mean, is the plan to just sell the hardware? Or are there other coins to mine (I guess there will always be but, are there any worth considering and holding?)

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Just a little guy here at ~120Mh/s, from three 480s and one 290. I also wish I would have got started much sooner than I did, oh well. It's been a fun hobby for the last 5 months. I like to tinker. I'll continue to mine with this setup as long as I can.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm not sure what other coins are worth mining right now. Decred seems popular as a secondary coin, even if it isn't worth very much. Hackers/exploiters seem to like making victim computers mine Monero.

edit: I have cancelled all plans to expand mining operations, and I have no interest in replacing the 290s and 390s I have that are mining currently. I peak at around 250 MH/s and would be higher if my replacement APU didn't somehow change the way my main rig handles 3 video cards but . . . oh well. It's not that big of a deal, and the 7700k was dying anyway.

I might press that last 290 back into service if I get a new system sometime between now and February.

Neurodog

Jan 11, 2000
I broke down and got another RX 480 8G...and I don't even have room yet. will need to order another 1x riser card.

lienad216

Sep 10, 2016
What about EXP? Does it seem like an alt-coin that might be the pump and dump sort or is the developer investment say, comparable to ETH (at that point in the platform's growth/age/development)?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I shut down my single 280x miner. I don't know what happened, but this past month the electric bill was an extra $60 - and I was only making about $35 at it's peak mining ability. Well, back to gaming it goes!

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Not sure about other coins. There are a few that seem to hang out in the top 5 continuously.

https://whattomine.com/coins

Use as a reference. Monero seems interesting from a Dark Market perspective, and one of my mining friends went 100% Monero which I wouldn't do TBH.

I still think Ethereum has the best developers and the most potential long term. It's taking a lot of work to make "programmable internet money" work though. All of these hard forks will harden and define what Ethereum is really capable of and we're seeing that play out now. However it'll be some time before things settle down. This is uncharted territorry but already EVM has proven how much more capable it is than other Blockchain technology, and is likely why it's under constant attack.

Last edited:

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
I'm stopping my rigs momentarly. The profit just isn't there anymore.

Any new coins worth looking into? Even ICO, IPOs.

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
i stopped at 85 mhs, 2 390s i will xfire later and a 380itx for my htpc.

wanted so bad to break 100 mhs (look ma! 3 digits!) i wanted to pick up another card of at least 15 mhs..

didnt ever buy a card just for mining, they were always meant to be repurposed into one rig or another when they wernt profitable anymore.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Hey guys, anyone hopping on the ZCASH hype train? Looks like it may a lucrative way to use your GPU and CPU power. ZEC trading on Polo/Kraken is going to be publicly launched today and it looks extremely overvalued. Genoil released a Windows binary (and there are others). I'm just getting caught up but wanted to let the vets on this thread know about it as may be a way to make a few bucks.

More info here:

http://cryptomining-blog.com/8316-getting-ready-for-the-zcash-zec-official-launch-tomorrow/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1660023.0
https://forum.z.cash/

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
For anyone going to try zcash, just to clarify, to get a proper address (not testnet) you need to wait until launch correct?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Okay, yeah apparently you can get an address beforehand if you're not running the testnet zcashd. And yes, it has to be done in Linux. I did it in a virtualbox.
I'm mining of zcash.flypool.org and getting ~40 Sol/s for my 290s combined, and about 20 Sol/s for my i5-4670k.

Reactions: Madpacket

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Okay, yeah apparently you can get an address beforehand if you're not running the testnet zcashd. And yes, it has to be done in Linux. I did it in a virtualbox.
I'm mining of zcash.flypool.org and getting ~40 Sol/s for my 290s combined, and about 20 Sol/s for my i5-4670k.

I finally generated my own T address and am also mining with one miner at zcash.flypool.org. 2x480's only getting like 24 Sol with Genoil miner. Start's off at like 36 and then drops with a bunch of invalid solution errors. Something's not right with Genoil or my setup. On Windows 10, latest Catalyst HotFix drivers.

What miner did you end up using as a miner?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm using the Genoil miner for my GPUs and NHQminer for my CPU. I'm using the 16.6 driver. Genoil only seems to run for a bit before erroring out and crashing.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Anyone see the price of ZEC?!! I saw 3000BTC/ZEC at one point!! Meaning ONE ZEC was worth 3000BTC!! It's back to around 20BTC/ZEC right now. The pool operators must be raking it in!