Ethereum GPU mining?

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Try 980/2200 MHz at 0.9V (or less if possible). Should drop power usage 10+Watts per card (reported by GPU-z) and the mining speed is still neat 26MH/s

This.

Also you're currently only pulling 900W on a very high quality power supply anyways. 91% efficiency as well if Corsair link is to be trusted. Nothing to worry about here. 1200W is a bit of a waste for 6x480's.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
That's actually pretty much perfect for 6 cards. I run mine at 1080/2200 with 898mV which seems to do decently.

My test bench is currently running a eVGA 700W B series power supply. Which is 80+ Bronze and pretty "meh" but at <$40 it's not worth it for me to replace with a higher quality gold/platinum PSU. And it's really just a burn-in/undervolt/OC tester at this point anyways...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Looks like there's a bit of a curveball thrown into the Ethereum world now that we have achieved the hard fork: ETC or "Ethereum Classic" which is the "other" Ethereum that exists on the old blockchain.

tl;dr: those who feel the hard fork impugns Ethereum's reliability and desirability as cryptocurrency are staying on the old blockchain because . . . it's immutable! Awesome sauce. Good for them, have fun guys.

There's a lot of drama surrounding this development, but one thing that sticks out to me as a point of concern is that old wallet addresses apparently exist on both blockchains, and that some folks might be vulnerable to replay attacks:

http://vessenes.com/do-not-mess-with-eth-classic-it-will-f-you-up/

Current best practice appears to be to start new wallets on the new blockchain and to move all eth there. Or maybe you're safe so long as you attempt no BTC transactions, period. I'm not really sure on that part yet. For now I haven't moved anything around . . . but it is a little weird/creepy. Just when you thought you hard-forked, ETC rises from the grave. Yay.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Looks like there's a bit of a curveball thrown into the Ethereum world now that we have achieved the hard fork: ETC or "Ethereum Classic" which is the "other" Ethereum that exists on the old blockchain.

tl;dr: those who feel the hard fork impugns Ethereum's reliability and desirability as cryptocurrency are staying on the old blockchain because . . . it's immutable! Awesome sauce. Good for them, have fun guys.

There's a lot of drama surrounding this development, but one thing that sticks out to me as a point of concern is that old wallet addresses apparently exist on both blockchains, and that some folks might be vulnerable to replay attacks:

Current best practice appears to be to start new wallets on the new blockchain and to move all eth there. Or maybe you're safe so long as you attempt no BTC transactions, period. I'm not really sure on that part yet. For now I haven't moved anything around . . . but it is a little weird/creepy. Just when you thought you hard-forked, ETC rises from the grave. Yay.

How do I know on what version I am? Do I need to download newest ethereum release?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

One awesome thing about it is anyone who had ETH on Polonix before ETC was listed had equal ETC to ETH from the point of the fork backwards. I sold all that ETC off and got a few more ETH! Like a week's worth of mining.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How do I know on what version I am? Do I need to download newest ethereum release?

I'll tell you what I did. I use Mist/Ethereum Wallet so your mileage may vary.

I updated to the latest version of Ethereum Wallet (64-bit Windows variant) and it asked me if I supported the hard fork. Basically, if I said yes, it would configure the client to operate on the new blockchain. So I supported the hard fork and viola, now I am (apparently) on the new blockchain.

The pool I mine through - nanopool - announced that all their hashpower would be moved to the new blockchain several days ago. So between my mining and my wallet software, I'm fully moved onto the new blockchain.

So long as you get the latest wallet software and mine through a pool that supports the hard fork, all your hashpower goes to the new blockchain and all your transactions should apply on the new blockchain.

The "scary" bit is that if you have an old (read: pre-hard fork) wallet address, all eth assigned to that wallet address prior to the hard fork exists on both blockchains at the same address. So if you try to send your ETC to someone for some BTC or . . . whatever, there's the risk of you "accidentally" sending all your ETH to the same address on the new blockchain at the same time.

I found this post which may be of use to us all:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4uly3d/step_by_step_guide_to_protect_your_eth_and_etc/

Though really it seems like a lot of trouble just to protect your ETH. Apparently it is written with securing both your ETH and ETC in mind. I'm not sure it's worth even bothering with ETC since it's below $1 at the moment, and it will probably lose value over time.

One awesome thing about it is anyone who had ETH on Polonix before ETC was listed had equal ETC to ETH from the point of the fork backwards. I sold all that ETC off and got a few more ETH! Like a week's worth of mining.

Apparently you don't even need to have had your ETH on Poloniex prior to the fork to get the ETC. If you deposit ETH from your pre-fork wallet to a Poloniex account, they'll credit you for the ETH and the ETC associated with the source address. You can then divy up the funds to do with as you wish.

Last edited:

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Try 980/2200 MHz at 0.9V (or less if possible). Should drop power usage 10+Watts per card (reported by GPU-z) and the mining speed is still neat 26MH/s

This power usage is looking better, eh? Lost ~1Mh per card but indeed ~10 less watts... Voltages also seem much better than previous screen cap. Now ~ 0.9v.

CsmFdoj.png

Also you're currently only pulling 900W on a very high quality power supply anyways. 91% efficiency as well if Corsair link is to be trusted. Nothing to worry about here. 1200W is a bit of a waste for 6x480's.

Not sure how accurate the Corsair Link reading is, but my thinking was a bit more head room to be safe for gaming (even if it maxes out at 150w on 1 card) while other 5 cards mine, or a slightly better gaming CPU than the current i3-2120, or for dual mining (it was hitting 1000W dual mining sia).

BTW, is there any correlation of the order of the cards in the miner (GPU0-5) vs. GPU-Z dropdown vs. Wattman? It'd be nice if GPU0-5 is the same order in GPUZ/Wattman but I don't believe that's the case.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
This power usage is looking better, eh? Lost ~1Mh per card but indeed ~10 less watts... Voltages also seem much better than previous screen cap. Now ~ 0.9v.

CsmFdoj.png

Not sure how accurate the Corsair Link reading is, but my thinking was a bit more head room to be safe for gaming (even if it maxes out at 150w on 1 card) while other 5 cards mine, or a slightly better gaming CPU than the current i3-2120, or for dual mining (it was hitting 1000W dual mining sia).

BTW, is there any correlation of the order of the cards in the miner (GPU0-5) vs. GPU-Z dropdown vs. Wattman? It'd be nice if GPU0-5 is the same order in GPUZ/Wattman but I don't believe that's the case.

Nice improvement. Power dropped 120watts at the wall, so 20 watts per card? :thumbsup:

Also, PSU is rated at 1000W of output power. With 91% efficiency it means it will pull at least 1090Watts from the wall to output 1000watts.

Also, this:
http://www.eteknix.com/corsair-rmi-series-rm1000i-fully-modular-power-supply-review/7/

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice improvement. Power dropped 120watts at the wall, so 20 watts per card? :thumbsup:

Yes, looking much better! although I'm not sure where the extra 10 watts savings is coming from?

Also, PSU is rated at 1000W of output power. With 91% efficiency it means it will pull at least 1090Watts from the wall to output 1000watts.

Also, this:
http://www.eteknix.com/corsair-rmi-series-rm1000i-fully-modular-power-supply-review/7/

:thumbsup: nice link, thanks. so (as Madpacket said), I guess nothing to worry about with this 1000W... ;)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Damn...was hoping I wouldn't have to jump through hoops to secure my Eth. :(

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/07/26/onward_from_the_hard_fork/
The step-by-step guide is linked at the bottom of the post.

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yes, looking much better! although I'm not sure where the extra 10 watts savings is coming from?

:thumbsup: nice link, thanks. so (as Madpacket said), I guess nothing to worry about with this 1000W... ;)

GPU VRM efficiency + PSU VRM efficiency + gddr5 savings.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Damn...was hoping I wouldn't have to jump through hoops to secure my Eth. :(

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/07/26/onward_from_the_hard_fork/
The step-by-step guide is linked at the bottom of the post.

It is annoying, though as long as you don't do anything with the ETC you own thanks to the fork, apparently nothing bad can happen to you. It still might be a good idea to move to a new wallet address anyway "just in case". I'm pretty sure that if you create a new account through a post-fork version of Mist/Ethereum Wallet that the new address you create will exist only on the new blockchain. So if you transfer ETH directly from your old account to your new address, you'll be able to avoid replay attacks.

I think.

The downside to that is that you may lose your ETC that way . . . though I'm not really sure what would happen to it, to be honest.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Anyone know if you can use Wattman and MSI Afterburner at the same time to control clock speeds and voltages for different class of cards on the same miner? Wattman for 480's, Afterburner for 290's?

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
I told ppl not to invest in ethereum scam for long.... mine -> dump/trade short! for BTC!
Support real decentralization and fair distribution not a scam and controlled system that is ruled by MOB!

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Anyone know if you can use Wattman and MSI Afterburner at the same time to control clock speeds and voltages for different class of cards on the same miner? Wattman for 480's, Afterburner for 290's?

Yep, you can. Thats exactly what I'm doing with my 290/480

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

Yes, I have a mixed rig of 480s and 290s and I do exactly this.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
^^^ woah. :colbert::eek:

pretty much. interesting times ahead.

as my mining rig currently has a 6 year old mobo, an old core 2, E8400 and giving slight stability issues, ordered a new mobo for my miners sunday, gigabyte GA Z97X UD3H, G1840 cpu, V300 128 gig ssd and 8 gigs ripjaws. mobo, ram, ssd arrived yesterday, cpu tomorrow. already have everything hooked up in an old antrc case.

figure this way ill have a new mobo that will carry me through gpu crypto for the next few years, or if worse comes to worse throw a better cpu in it and have descent gaming rig. or possibly nas/vm box, but id rather go with xeons and ecc memory.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
http://fork.ethstats.net/

Still similar mining difficulty as yesterday according to EthStats. There was some large movements on both chains this morning that sure look like the Eth foundation is splitting their wallets into ETH and ETC. If they dump their ETC the ETC market is in for one hell of a crash.