Eric Garner all over again

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Anyone post this yet?

From Reuters -

The entire notion of trying to find the death caused by something else is ironic considering the defense's argument would basically be 'the dead man wasn't healthy enough for us to asphyxiate him for 8 minutes'.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
  • Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z
Mar 11, 2004
I hate to do this to you but that is not enough info to judge that situation.
Complicating matters is that just about everyone is going to be shouting "I can't breathe" the second and officer subdues them.

Piling on with multiple bodies like the police were doing there is also known to lead to asphyxiation deaths similar to the knee on the neck technique. Between the weight pushing down on their body (doesn't have to be targeted, as all that weight just on a person's back or chest can compress their respiratory system) coupled with smothering (doesn't need to be deliberate either, meaning, they don't actively block his face or anything to specifically inhibit his breathing) is a recipe for disaster. It could probably even potentially lead to damage from excessive heat (much the same way excessive fevers do). Ever seen the video of the bees taking on hornets?

WTF, I’m not going to derail either but WTF are you talking about?
Do you apply the same logic to terrorists as in “You could have prevented 9/11 by being more like the terrorists. Do you agree with that?”

How about Pedophiles, hey kid you could have avoided that pedo bear if you just didn’t get into the car. Do you agree with that?
Battered wife:
You could have not gotten beaten by bringing him another beer and a sandwich. Do you agree with that?
Come on man.

Stop responding to those fuckheads. He's the equivalent to someone going to the protests and going "I'm sorry but you don't have a legitimate concern until you can explain to me why I can't have a baby!" No one should take him seriously and people should ignore his attempts to demand that people view his completely bullshit logic as more important than these others. If he wants babies so bad he should do right wingers a favor and get a womb transplant so he can prove that very early embryo transplant can work.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Gimme a break. They didn't say he wasn't being charged. They said he was released while prosecutors decide whether or not to charge him.
Funny, considering George Floyd was executed for possibly-maybe having a fake $20. This man was filmed driving into protesters after running a police blockade, but they release him 'while they decide whether or not to prosecute him'? You don't consider this privilege?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Funny, considering George Floyd was executed for possibly-maybe having a fake $20. This man was filmed driving into protesters after running a police blockade, but they release him 'while they decide whether or not to prosecute him'? You don't consider this privilege?

Comparing a horrible act by police to the normal functioning of the justice system doesn't scream system racism or privilege.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
houston's the best

f5912a8529580f91f8b541b1d992f8fe.jpg

Reactions: Atreus21

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So.... what would it take to end the protests / riots?
Would the arrest of all four officers involved with George Floyd's death do it? Will the protestors continue until all four are arrested and behind bars? And, should any of these four officers get off and found to be not guilty, will the following protests be even worse than the current protests?

I think the arrest of all four might calm things down a lot. And it will be interesting to see how long authorities drag this out before we see an actual court trial. A courtroom trial could drag on for years, and it could take years to even start a trial, but once that trial comes to a conclusion I would expect nationwide rioting much worse if even one of the cops involved is handed a pass. To be found not guilty. By then, either Joe Biden will be president or Donald Trump will be in his second term.... god forbid.
So I wonder, what would it take to happen right now that would clear the streets and calm the cities?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The virtue signal is strong...
So white people shouldn't speak out against criminal conduct on the part of police officers and black people sure as hell should just shut their mouths so who, in your estimation, should be speaking out against criminal conduct by police officers?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Comparing a horrible act by police to the normal functioning of the justice system doesn't scream system racism or privilege.
Who the hell are the bootlickers? Of course that's not perfectly fine. That cop needs to be charged with assault.
When so many of these cops NOT being charged with assault is the normal functioning of the justice then it kinda does scream system racism, privilege, etc.

Reactions: KMFJD