Equifax Hacked - 143M US Consumers could be affected

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I think we need to do more for these poor executives than just send them off into the sunset with their golden parachutes. We should offer them 24 hour concierge service provided by a team of federal employees at a federal facility at government expense where all of their needs will be taken care of and they'll be able to make new friends and have surprise butt sex.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Reactions: destrekor

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The CEO retired just a few days before he will have to testify in front of Congress and was able to keep his $18 million pension and $30 million stock option on top of $70 million stock sale from the last two years. Several high-ranking executives sold shares before the public announcement of the breach (shares went down from around 135 to 105). Talk about things are stinking to heaven at Equifax.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
And not a damn thing will happen. You don't hear Trump going off on Twitter about this do you? Because raping the masses and getting away with it is the American way.

Nov 20, 2009
Quitting, firing, etc., should let anyone off the hook. But since they are all in bed with the politicians then it is OK.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Quitting, firing, etc., should let anyone off the hook. But since they are all in bed with the politicians then it is OK.
Don't you mean shouldn't?

And just because they left the company doesn't mean squat, they can still prosecute them.
It is just a way for the board to say we "got rid" of the people that caused this, move along.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'm considering this;

https://www.experian.com/consumer-p...-b2e1-2c57685b5ab3&ref=identity&awsearchcpc=1

but get a sketchy feeling about it. We just got a mortgage last week and nothing came back bad from the CR. Ugh...

The free service probably harvests your email for some marketing, as is common in free web services. But I'm not sure why you feel it is sketchy?

This kind of service is available as an option through a lot of paid identity theft sites, and I've been notified for some things. But they have appeared to be for ancient profiles that are now disabled, or for services where major hacks have been well-known and passwords are changed often.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002

Yeah, especially when they come out and tell you:
Identity thieves use the Dark Web to buy and sell personal information.

And then inform you:

I also understand that by submitting my e-mail address on this site that you may use my e-mail address to contact me about your Experian IdentityWorksSM product, or other products that may be of interest to me.

Why make make experian pay the identity thieves for your personal info, when you can give to them for free?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
That's not identity theft ya nut, that's marketing :tearsofjoy:

They are a little different. Selling limited info for marketing is worlds different than your wholesale account info being bought on the dark web, with which to use to potentially defraud you in some way.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The free service probably harvests your email for some marketing, as is common in free web services. But I'm not sure why you feel it is sketchy?
What he said.
Yeah, especially when they come out and tell you:

And then inform you:

Why make make experian pay the identity thieves for your personal info, when you can give to them for free?
A pox on their houses! All three of them.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I (perhaps foolishly) placed an initial fraud alert with Equifax. Been at the current address for 4 years now, and always answer the verification questions correctly but have never been able to pull my Equifax credit report online. To request a free report, I have to mail in the FACT Act request form (with all my personal info in writing). I suppose I can call them if I want to sit on hold for a while.

Furthermore I have not received anything in the mail from Equifax or the other 2 CRAs (who should have gotten notice from Equifax). Last winter I was able to pull my free annual TransUnion report online, and Experian snail mailed me an access code without any additional leg-work on my side.

My credit cards still bill to the old address so that partly explains the proof of identity issue, but Equifax is the worst of the bunch on different levels.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What he said.

A pox on their houses! All three of them.

Then read my reply to him. This is wholly different data that is passed around. You can go on a darknet market and buy someone's identity and do credit damage. That's entirely different than selling some basic info for marketing.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
According to a press release issued by Equifax today, a study conducted by Mandiant concluded that approximately 2.5 million additional Americans were affected by Equifax security breach announced on September 7th 2017. This now brings the total number of affected Americans to 145.5 million who have had sensitive information such as addresses, birth dates, phone numbers, and social security numbers exposed to hackers.

This same study indicates that the amount of Canadian citizens whose information was exposed was reduced from 100 thousand to 8 thousand. The amount of United Kingdom citizens affected was also determined, but while this information was reported to and being analyzed by UK regulators, it is not being made public at this time.
... sigh.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yep, they aren't going anywhere or getting anything..maybe a small fine. I feel like 'we' the people should be able to sue to be rid of them, and I don't mean this class action bs.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
You can't be a doctor without a license to practice medicine for example. As another example you can't design a bridge or a building without a P.E. licensed engineer putting his stamp on the blueprints.

If we value data security we should not allow anyone to work in I.T. security without a license proving they are competent and upon any evidence of incompetence that license should be subject to revocation.

I know, I know more regulations and more bureaucracy which the political right might bemoan but at some point they should realize doing the right thing is more important than doing what the political right would do.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

I saw that too. Hard to believe the other two major credit companies don't have the same expertise.

And not a damn thing will happen. You don't hear Trump going off on Twitter about this do you? Because raping the masses and getting away with it is the American way.

Yeah for this case he's just following SOP. How many execs were punished for the recession?

Nov 20, 2009
First, individuals done give these asshats permission to collect and disseminate information on us. They get to do it without punishment it seems. Second, the CEO blaming one IT guy is the chief of all asshats. Every job/employer I've worked the person above me was equally responsible for my [in]action(s). I like how the [former] Equifax CEO tried to skirt any responsibility.