Equifax Hacked - 143M US Consumers could be affected

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
  • Equifax said data on 143 million U.S. customers was obtained in a breach.
  • The breach was discovered July 29.
  • Personal data including birth dates, credit card numbers and more were obtained in the breach.
  • Three Equifax executives sold shares in the company days after the breach was discovered.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/cre...entially-affect-143-million-us-consumers.html

:(

Didn't see this anywhere else yet, hope it is not a repost

Reactions: disappoint

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
can anyone remember a time when a company lost customer data and been hit with actual substantial fines or damaged business?

RpAn2IK.jpg

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Anyone tried it?
All it does is put you on a waiting list to enroll to TrustedID Premier, after claiming you were not part of the hack.

Lame.

This really looks like people will go to jail, they can't dump stock like that when they knew about the hack, then wait to tell everyone else months later.

Reactions: sandorski

someEEguy

Jun 5, 2013
Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information
We are also offering free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring to all U.S. consumers, even if you are not impacted by this incident. This offering, called TrustedID Premier, includes 3-Bureau credit monitoring of your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports; copies of your Equifax credit report; the ability to lock and unlock your Equifax credit report; identity theft insurance; and Internet scanning for your Social Security number – all complimentary to U.S. consumers for one year.

and
TrustedID Premier Terms of Use
PERSONAL INFORMATION; AUTHORIZATION. As needed to provide Products to You, You authorize and instruct Us to obtain, monitor, and compile Your: (i) credit information from one or more consumer reporting agencies; (ii) "non-public personal information", "personal information", and/or "highly restricted personal information" about or concerning You as defined by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (15 U.S.C. sec 6801 et seq); and (iii) other personal information.
By placing Your order You acknowledge and agree that Your access to the Products and any consumer credit information contained therein is subject to Your prior written authorization and Our verification of Your identity. As such, You understand and agree that by submitting Your order, You are providing "written instructions" in accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA") for Us to obtain credit information about You from one or more of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies and You hereby authorize Us to access Your personal credit information in order to provide the Products.

TrustedID an Equifax subsidiary, nice.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Just a FYI:
Trust them, they know what they are doing!
Not even in their own domain.

Whois for equifaxsecurity2017.com:
Registrant Contact
Name: Domain Administrator
Organization: DNStination Inc.
Mailing Address: 3450 Sacramento Street, Suite 405, San Francisco CA 94118 US
Phone: +1.4155319335
Ext:
Fax: +1.4155319336
Fax Ext:
Email:admin@dnstinations.com
---
Name:
Domain Admin
Organization: Equifax Inc
StreetP.O. Box 740006
City:Atlanta
State: GA
Postal Code: 30374-0006
Phone: +1.4048858000
Fax:+0.0000000000
Email:
5c011eae1259b0ed987fb1528c5ae59304ffca6d.png
@equifax.com

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
What in the actual fuck are they thinking with this check to see if your data was stolen website. Shady as hell looking.

Reactions: harobikes333

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Just a FYI:
Trust them, they know what they are doing!
Not even in their own domain.

Whois for equifaxsecurity2017.com:
Registrant Contact
Name: Domain Administrator
Organization: DNStination Inc.
Mailing Address: 3450 Sacramento Street, Suite 405, San Francisco CA 94118 US
Phone: +1.4155319335
Ext:
Fax: +1.4155319336
Fax Ext:
Email:admin@dnstinations.com
---
Name:
Domain Admin
Organization: Equifax Inc
StreetP.O. Box 740006
City:Atlanta
State: GA
Postal Code: 30374-0006
Phone: +1.4048858000
Fax:+0.0000000000
Email:
5c011eae1259b0ed987fb1528c5ae59304ffca6d.png
@equifax.com

?? the dnsinations part? so what.

Nov 8, 2012
Couple things:

1. When they say execs sold days AFTER the breach was discovered - that was before it was released publicly... that's an important tidbit there - definitely going to be investigated for insider trading.

2. Their Equifax site is already offering people membership to their "TrustedID" service as a means of trying to help you - Rumors are swirling that if you sign up for this it will throw away your right to participate in a class action - BEWARE.

Conveniently (for Equifax), those who sign up for TrustID might waive their right to any class action lawsuit against the company, as stated at the bottom of TrustID’s terms of service.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/i...-times/?utm_source=tcfbpage&sr_share=facebook

Reactions: harobikes333

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
?? the dnsinations part? so what.
I was pointing out that the 2nd one, since it isn't in their same domain could be easily spoofed, there is nothing there that points to Equifax actually owns that site.

Also, more BS from them:
https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms
Effective Date: September 6, 2017
"By consenting to submit Your Claims to arbitration, You will be forfeiting Your right to bring or participate in any class action (whether as a named plaintiff or a class member) or to share in any class action awards, including class claims where a class has not yet been certified, even if the facts and circumstances upon which the Claims are based already occurred or existed."

And the "coverage" is only 1 year. Thieves can just wait a year, and then hit everyone, and you would have no recourse at all.

Do NOT sign up with them at this time!

Everyone should freeze their credit (unless you need a loan, or gonna buy car/house or...), so nothing can be opened up without your consent.
This really should be free, but it varies state by state.
Call each credit reporter to start the freeze and get your PIN, or use their online forms:

https://www.freeze.equifax.com or 1-800-349-9960(Equifax)
https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze or 1‑888‑397‑3742 (Experian)
https://transunion.com/securityfreeze or 1-888-909-8872 (TransUnion)
More info at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

You can also do a "Initial fraud alert" that lasts for 90 days (which is free!) instead of the freeze to see what these chumps finally end up doing. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert
Also, you can complain about Equifax here https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Last edited:

Meliodas

Sep 8, 2017
I plan on freezing my credit.

What's most insulting to me - you know, besides how little and late their disclosure was, the questionable timing of execs selling those shares, the poorly implemented query site, and the fact that this breach occurred in the first place - is their slap-in-the-face offering of free credit monitoring.

I'm sick of that crap, especially now that it's coming directly from one of the big credit bureaus after someone went Mr. Robot on them.

Reactions: disappoint

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All it does is put you on a waiting list to enroll to TrustedID Premier, after claiming you were not part of the hack.

Lame.

This really looks like people will go to jail, they can't dump stock like that when they knew about the hack, then wait to tell everyone else months later.
Free markets at their best. Who needs stinkin' regulations?

Reactions: Thebobo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Freezing your credit is the best but it's a pain because so many services use your credit. I had to temporary thaw my credit just to sign up for AT&T Fiber because they check your credit for internet service. It's crazy. But freezing your credit is worth the small hassle and inconvenience for the piece of mind.

Credit fraud alert and credit monitoring services are fake protection. Only the credit freeze gives you the real protection.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

Lame.

FWIW, it told me that my information was likely compromised.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Freezing your credit is the best but it's a pain because so many services use your credit. I had to temporary thaw my credit just to sign up for AT&T Fiber because they check your credit for internet service. It's crazy. But freezing your credit is worth the small hassle and inconvenience for the piece of mind.

Credit fraud alert and credit monitoring services are fake protection. Only the credit freeze gives you the real protection.

What's the inconvenience factor associated with freeze/thaw? It doesn't seem to bad. I will likely be buying a home in the not too distant future, but would know when and could thaw at that time. I don't have any plans for other hard inquiries so I guess it wouldn't be that bad?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What's the inconvenience factor associated with freeze/thaw? It doesn't seem to bad. I will likely be buying a home in the not too distant future, but would know when and could thaw at that time. I don't have any plans for other hard inquiries so I guess it wouldn't be that bad?
You have to request the temporary thaw with your pin. So I have to retrieve my pin numbers out of my safe deposit box and fill out the online form. So it's a small hassle for me and I don't do it unless I really want the product or service. The past 10 years, I probably had to temporary thaw my credit like 3-4 times. One time it was for AT&T Fiber. The rest was when I wanted to open new credit cards for the signup bonus/rewards.

Credit freeze is definitely worth it for the piece of mind. It's the only real protection you have against data breaches like this one and identity thieves.