Enron Verdict to be read at 8am - Alaska Time - GUILTY!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
What are the chances that Dubya will grant them or one of them 'Presidential Pardons' as his last act in office before he slithers out of the Whitehouse?

Fellow corrupt Oil Baron Republicans???

Guaranteed 100% Bush will pardon them.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab
I have read that some people were surprised by my forcefulness when I testified on my own behalf. I will continue to forcefully defend myself against all false accusations as I proclaim my innocence of the crimes of which I have been accused. We are confident that I will be found not guilty of all charges.

Ken Lay's Personal Website

Not even his friend George Bush can save him now.

Club Fed is too good for George's former boosters.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Please understand Lay and Skilling now stand convicted of stealing the huge fortune they still have. Conviction is just a small setback---there are all those appeals yet to go.
Maybe juror#6 didn't disclose something, maybe the judge erred in some ruling or juror instruction, and the appeals won't stop until the attorneys end up with every last dime.
Attorneys all over this country are salivating as I write this. Nor am I holding my breath awaiting the sound of the jail doors slamming shut on those pieces of biological
waste matter.

But I am still thrilled the jury saw through all that PR---but many a slip between cup and lip as they say.---and least they didn't get a sleeze pass like Scrutchie did.

I might be wrong here... wouldn't be the first time... But once you're sentenced you go to jail. I don't think they let you out on bail for an appeal. The appeals are held with the convicted parties in jail? The only exception I could see to that is if they mangaged to convince a judge to allow them to sit under house arrest while they go through the appeals process.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
What are the chances that Dubya will grant them or one of them 'Presidential Pardons' as his last act in office before he slithers out of the Whitehouse?

i should just put this in my sig for when it doesn't happen.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What I am waiting for is the sobbing Ken Lay wife---who may have to really start slumming it and start selling one
of the many Lay family million dollar plus mansions---Life can be cruel---but that indignity is just too hard for
anyone to bear.

But cheer up----maybe she can ask the Dub for some of the Lay families political donations back. Surely GWB
can find it in his heart for good old Kenny boy and girl.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
All over California grandmothers who lost their retirement money are hoping these guys go away for ever.

Jun 27, 2005
Eessshh... Sentencing won't happen until 9/11/06. Why so long?

Linkage
Lay, Skilling Convicted in Enron Collapse
May 25 12:53 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By KRISTEN HAYS
AP Business Writer

HOUSTON

Former Enron Corp. chiefs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were convicted Thursday of conspiracy to commit securities and wire fraud in one of the biggest business scandals in U.S. history.

The verdict put the blame for the 2001 demise of the high-profile energy trader, once the nation's seventh-largest company, squarely on its top two executives. It came in the sixth day of deliberations following a trial that lasted nearly four months.

Lay was also convicted of bank fraud and making false statements to banks in a separate trial non-jury trial before U.S. District Judge Sim Lake related to Lay's personal banking.

Lay was convicted on all six counts against him in the trial with Skilling. Skilling was convicted on 19 of the 28 counts against him, including one count of insider trading, and acquitted on the remaining nine.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed," Skilling told reporters outside the courthouse. "But that's the way the system works."

Skilling's lawyer, Dan Petrocelli, said the verdict "doesn't change our view of what happened at Enron ... or Jeffrey Skilling's innocence."

Lay did not come outside the courthouse to speak with reporters immediately after the verdict.

Lake told jurors, "you have reflected on this evidence for the last few days and reached a very thorough verdict, and I thank you."

He set sentencing for Sept. 11. :confused:

Lake set a $5 million bond for Lay and ordered him to surrender his passport before he leaves the courthouse. The judge said the bond already in place for Skilling was sufficient. The judge said he did not believe home confinement was necessary for either.

The former corporate titans are now felons facing years in prison after being convicted of running an elaborate fraud that gave the company a glamorous illusion of success.

Jurors declared through their verdict that both men repeatedly lied to cover a vast web of unsustainable accounting tricks and failing ventures that shoved Enron into bankruptcy protection in December 2001.

The conviction was a major win for the government, serving almost as a bookend in an era that has seen prosecutors win convictions against executives from WorldCom Inc. to Adelphia Communications Corp. and homemaking maven Martha Stewart. The public outrage over the series of corporate scandals led Congress to pass the Sarbanes-Oxley act, designed to make company executives more accountable

The panel rejected Skilling's insistence that no fraud occurred at Enron other than a few executives skimming millions from secret scams behind his and Lay's backs, and a lethal combination of bad press and poor market confidence sank the company.

Both men testified in their own defense. Skilling is expected to appeal.

The government's victory caps a 4 1/2 year investigation that nabbed 16 guilty pleas from ex-Enron executives, including former Chief Financial Officer Andrew Fastow and former Chief Accounting Officer Richard Causey. :D

All are awaiting sentencing later this year except for two who either finished or are serving prison terms.

Many deemed the outcome of the Lay-Skilling case a final exam of sorts of the federal government's ability to prove complicated corporate skullduggery.

Enron's implosion and the subsequent scandals vexed Wall Street, sent skittish investors fleeing, increased regulatory scrutiny over publicly traded companies and prompted Congress to stiffen white collar penalties.

Former WorldCom head Bernard Ebbers awaits a 25-year prison term for orchestrating the $11 billion accounting fraud that bankrupted the company. Stewart did five months in prison and more time confined to work and home for lying about a stock sale. Adelphia Communications Inc. founder John Rigas and his son got double-digit prison terms for looting their company. :thumbsup:

HealthSouth Corp. founder Richard Scrushy bucked the trend with his acquittal last year of fraud charges despite five former finance chiefs pointing the finger at him in a $2.7 billion scheme to inflate earnings. He dropped in on the Lay-Skilling case during Fastow's lengthy testimony in March, saying the ex-CFO couldn't be believed.

But those cases were much simpler than that against Lay and Skilling.

The government's vast investigation seemed to stall until Fastow pleaded guilty in January 2004 to two counts of conspiracy and paved the way for prosecutors to secure indictments against his bosses. Fastow also led investigators to Causey, who was bound for trial alongside Lay and Skilling until he broke ranks with their unified defense and pleaded guilty to securities fraud just weeks before the trial began.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
They can't be sent to prison.
These are just the guys to manage our Social Security Retirement accounts.

jimkyser

Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Please understand Lay and Skilling now stand convicted of stealing the huge fortune they still have. Conviction is just a small setback---there are all those appeals yet to go.
Maybe juror#6 didn't disclose something, maybe the judge erred in some ruling or juror instruction, and the appeals won't stop until the attorneys end up with every last dime.
Attorneys all over this country are salivating as I write this. Nor am I holding my breath awaiting the sound of the jail doors slamming shut on those pieces of biological
waste matter.

But I am still thrilled the jury saw through all that PR---but many a slip between cup and lip as they say.---and least they didn't get a sleeze pass like Scrutchie did.

I might be wrong here... wouldn't be the first time... But once you're sentenced you go to jail. I don't think they let you out on bail for an appeal. The appeals are held with the convicted parties in jail? The only exception I could see to that is if they mangaged to convince a judge to allow them to sit under house arrest while they go through the appeals process.
You're wrong. People get let out on appeal all the time, provided they can afford the usually very high bail. It's $5M bail in this case.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I say a presidential pardon will never happen.

As for the money matters, Lay's already near bankruptcy (if not actually bankrupt). Skilling is the one with money, he basically funded Lay's defense. I wonder if he'll fund Lay's appeal?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Great news. Better than I would have ever hoped. With his low approval rating, I don't think Bush will dare to interfere. I predict long prison sentences. Here's to hoping that both those fsckers rot in prison a long time and then die there, wretched and broken.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

I say you should. No way Bush will pardon them. Even he is not that stupid. He would be immediately impeached and out of office in disgrace. In politics, friendship comes in stacks of green, and Lay doesn't have enough of those left anymore to be friends to anyone.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Vic

I say you should. No way Bush will pardon them. Even he is not that stupid. He would be immediately impeached and out of office in disgrace. In politics, friendship comes in stacks of green, and Lay doesn't have enough of those left anymore to be friends to anyone.

Presidential pardons take place the day before they leave Office.

Bush will pardon them Jan 19, 2009.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Anything is possible.

I would hope not; however, external pressures can encourage/convince a president to pardon someone for the sake of friendship and then come out with a justification for such actions.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

In your conspiracy theories, you forget the #1 rule of politics. What good has Lay done Bush lately? Or could do after 1/19/09?
Loyalty didn't mean sh!t to Lay before all this, he bribed Republicans and Democrats alike, so I don't think any sense of loyalty is going to save Lay. If that was the case, this never would have even gone to trial. Quite the opposite, IMO. I know you're clueless about the world of finance and economics, Dave, the Bush Admin had a lot to do with bringing down Enron while the Clinton Admin would just look the other way while the law was being broken. Bush gave the SEC its teeth back.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

In your conspiracy theories, you forget the #1 rule of politics. What good has Lay done Bush lately? Or could do after 1/19/09?
Loyalty didn't mean sh!t to Lay before all this, he bribed Republicans and Democrats alike, so I don't think any sense of loyalty is going to save Lay. If that was the case, this never would have even gone to trial. Quite the opposite, IMO. I know you're clueless about the world of finance and economics, Dave, the Bush Admin had a lot to do with bringing down Enron while the Clinton Admin would just look the other way while the law was being broken. Bush gave the SEC its teeth back.

I'm not surprised you would say this. All part of the Republican brainwashing strategy.

"Oh look we slapped our own down".

I hope to God or Allah or whatever the U.S. prays to now that the Sheeple see right through this but sadly I know they won't.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'm not surprised you would say this. All part of the Republican brainwashing strategy.

"Oh look we slapped our own down".

I hope to God or Allah or whatever the U.S. prays to now that the Sheeple see right through this but sadly I know they won't.

HAHAHAHA!!! :laugh:

You always seem to forget that there are no poor men in the Congress. Neither Republican nor Democrat. Every one of them is a millionaire or better. In fact, the 5 richest in the Senate are all Democrats (Kerry is the richest, worth almost a billion).

And I have discussed with you before your abuse of the word "sheeple." I suggest you read Orwell's Animal Farm (the origin of the word) before you use it again. It specifically referred to the clueless partisan sheep who would drown out any attempt at intelligent discussion with their mindless partisan rhetoric. Namely you, moron.

Oh btw, what does Vic do for a living? Oh, that's right... finance and banking. He might know a little bit about what's happening in those industries, don't you think?

Jun 27, 2005
I'm about 70/30 on the pardon thing. (70 he won't, 30 he will)

We've seen some fairly outrageous last minute pardons at the end of presidential terms recently. Marc Rich anyone?

I'm not convinced he won't do it. I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on it. Like I said... 70/30.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
If Bush had intended to save Lay and Skilling - he would have bailed them out as was the rumour at the time. He severed his ties with them...no way will he pardon.

100% guaranteed he won't pardon them. I'll be right for about the 3,745th time where Dave was wrong. On his death bed he'll say "maybe I was a moron".

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alchemize
If Bush had intended to save Lay and Skilling - he would have bailed them out as was the rumour at the time. He severed his ties with them...no way will he pardon.

100% guaranteed he won't pardon them. I'll be right for about the 3,745th time where Dave was wrong. On his death bed he'll say "maybe I was a moron".

I am a Moron, so what's your point?

I'd rather be a Moron than a brainwashed Bush Regime supporter.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Make that 3,747. Neither am I brainwashed, nor a "Bush Regime Supporter". At least you were right on the moron part.

Care to make a wager Dave on the pardon? I'll bet you any amount you choose you will be wrong. You can't go wrong - you 100% promised! I've been here 6 years, you've been here 7. We'll both be here to settle up. How much?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Make that 3,747. Neither am I brainwashed, nor a "Bush Regime Supporter". At least you were right on the moron part.

Care to make a wager Dave on the pardon? I'll bet you any amount you choose you will be wrong. You can't go wrong - you 100% promised! I've been here 6 years, you've been here 7. We'll both be here to settle up. How much?

Awwwwww wasn't refering directly to you. What's the matter guilty conscious???

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
wouldn't it just be great if they had to pay all the people who suffered at their hands all the money they earned while running the frier at McD's.

so i'm a dreamer, leave me alone.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What is all this useless debate on the question of a Presidential pardon?

Its still a binary black box question that only GWB can answer. And I for one can hardly
be any angrier at GWB regardless. Expecting any intelligence or logic from GWB is and remains
an excersize in futility.

What I want to know is when is the sentencing and how soon thereafter will the prison
doors slam shut on these two sad and sorry human beings---who need to be off the street where they can
do no further damage to our economy.---I can hardly think of any two people who have done more social
damage to our economy---unless you count GWB and Dick Cheney.