Enron Verdict to be read at 8am - Alaska Time - GUILTY!

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
I suspect the following.

-slap on the wrist

-massive fine that the state will try to collect with little success for decades (Exxon Valdez)

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: BriGy86
Originally posted by: alchemize
They're going to jail, I'll bet a beer on it. Good riddance.

for 3 months?

If they're convicted on the bigger charges yes... and then some. ;)

Edit: This the reading of the verdict. Sentencing will come later.

Jun 27, 2005
5-10 years per count.

That's a virtual life sentence for Lay. Skilling might taste free air before he dies.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I'm glad that the jury was able to see through their manipulative game.
Lay had gotten away with the same bait, switch. grab & run game in investments in a his company 20 years ago
so he probably beleived he coud scam it again with these jurists.

Now in the sentancing phase, I hope they throw the book at them & loose the keys.

Tens of thousands of hard working employees and trusting investors lost everything they had to these snake-oil salesmen.
People who have been duped out of their life savings when they are 68+ years old don't have the option of
working for another 35 years to regain all that they were taken for.

Lay & Skilling should never again be allowed to stand in the sunlight, or breath air outside of a prison wall.

Anybody want to bet that within a relatively short period of time some 'Doctor' will discover some
'health concern' that will try to get them off as being too ill to go off to prison, because they might die there?

What are the chances that Dubya will grant them or one of them 'Presidential Pardons' as his last act in office before he slithers out of the Whitehouse?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: jlmadyson
And to borrow a phrase from Enron Executives, ?Burn, baby, burn!?.

:thumbsup:

Good for the jury. Guilty on all counts except for 8 insider trading counts against Skilling. Enron was a poster-child for Corporate America turned evil. Throw the book at those f**kers and let's make an example out of them.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Anybody want to bet that within a relatively short period of time some 'Doctor' will discover some
'health concern' that will try to get them off as being too ill to go off to prison, because they might die there?
That'll be a little tough as the state's doctors would have to concur with the diagnosis. Even still, the best he could hope for is to be transferred out of PMITA prison and into a prison medical facility or some other lower security place. He's still in jail either way.

That's not something I'd worry about.

What are the chances that Dubya will grant them or one of them 'Presidential Pardons' as his last act in office before he slithers out of the Whitehouse?
Now THIS is a possibility.

Edit: They are both still out on bail... Both have money... Anyone think they will skip?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I have read that some people were surprised by my forcefulness when I testified on my own behalf. I will continue to forcefully defend myself against all false accusations as I proclaim my innocence of the crimes of which I have been accused. We are confident that I will be found not guilty of all charges.

Ken Lay's Personal Website

Not even his friend George Bush can save him now.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
That'll be a little tough as the state's doctors would have to concur with the diagnosis. Even still, the best he could hope for is to be transferred out of PMITA prison and into a prison medical facility or some other lower security place. He's still in jail either way.

Edit: They are both still out on bail... Both have money... Anyone think they will skip?

My interjection about the 'Medical thing' is because it was attempted with limited success by 'Waddle like a Duck' Cunningham
as a ploy to get a lighter sentance. Might have saved him 3 years.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

That is crap, once you are found guilty there should be no such thing as bail...

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
I'm glad that the jury was able to see through their manipulative game.
Lay had gotten away with the same bait, switch. grab & run game in investments in a his company 20 years ago
so he probably beleived he coud scam it again with these jurists.

Now in the sentancing phase, I hope they throw the book at them & loose the keys.

Tens of thousands of hard working employees and trusting investors lost everything they had to these snake-oil salesmen.
People who have been duped out of their life savings when they are 68+ years old don't have the option of
working for another 35 years to regain all that they were taken for.

Lay & Skilling should never again be allowed to stand in the sunlight, or breath air outside of a prison wall.

God help us...I didn't even think of that. You probably nailed it. :|

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I don't want this little embeded tidbit to go unoticed:

Lay was also convicted of bank fraud and making false statements to banks in a separate trial non-jury trial before U.S. District Judge Sim Lake related to Lay's personal banking

There was a separate non-jury trial for bank fraud against Lay, that the judge said he would announce the findings of
only after the Big Dance, so as to not affect any conclusions made by the jury in the main trial.

Austin Powers
Paragraph #3.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Please understand Lay and Skilling now stand convicted of stealing the huge fortune they still have. Conviction is just a small setback---there are all those appeals yet to go.
Maybe juror#6 didn't disclose something, maybe the judge erred in some ruling or juror instruction, and the appeals won't stop until the attorneys end up with every last dime.
Attorneys all over this country are salivating as I write this. Nor am I holding my breath awaiting the sound of the jail doors slamming shut on those pieces of biological
waste matter.

But I am still thrilled the jury saw through all that PR---but many a slip between cup and lip as they say.---and least they didn't get a sleeze pass like Scrutchie did.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab
I have read that some people were surprised by my forcefulness when I testified on my own behalf. I will continue to forcefully defend myself against all false accusations as I proclaim my innocence of the crimes of which I have been accused. We are confident that I will be found not guilty of all charges.

Ken Lay's Personal Website

Not even his friend George Bush can save him now.

Actually, he can. :(

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Have they seized his assets yet?

Nope, they have to wait until they're actually *in* prison for that ;)

Nate