Elio Motors death bet. PLACE YOUR BETS

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Elios motor produce or its all vaporware and they implode.

• YES Elio Motors will be a success and everyone wins.

• NO, They will never survive and most likely deposits lost.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Looks like Death is right around the corner. Looks like all those deposits will be gone. The only one who wins is Paul Elio, everyone else loses.
http://jalopnik.com/elio-motors-says-it-needs-376-million-to-fund-producti-1794816478

Elio Motors filed its latest reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the three-wheeled auto start-up’s future looks even bleaker than before: according to its latest 1-K form, filed today, Elio says it wants production to begin in 2018, but it needs $376 million to make that happen, up from the previous estimated funding requirement of $312 million.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Although it's still not look good, I'm hoping they make it. It's a niche we seriously need to fill. Australia crashed a 1998 Corolla against a 2015 Corolla to show what a 17-year difference in safety technology can provide:

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/16/corolla-vs-corolla-crash-test-safety-video/

The video states that more than half of the people who die in crashes on Australian roads die in cars built before the year 2000. Regarding safety ratings:

ANCAP sacrificed two Toyota Corollas to the safety gods last week to make a point and to mark the United Nations' Global Road Safety Week. An Aussie-built 1998 model (our cars had airbags in 1998, but not theirs), and a 2015 model were pitted against each other in a 40-mile-per-hour partial overlap collision. As you'll see in the video, it's no contest. ANCAP gave the '98 Corolla a rating of zero stars. Yes, zilch. Sensors indicated the crash-test dummies received severe head, leg and chest injuries. And the car's precise score from the test rubric was a measly 0.40 out of 16 possible points. The 2015 Corolla, meanwhile, got a 5-star rating and almost 13 out of 16 points, and thanks to the airbags and a much more sorted-out structure, everyone would have walked away, or at least hobbled away with minor injuries.

The problem then becomes, who drives these cars? For starters, people who can't afford newer, safer cars - specifically, teenagers & old people:

ANCAP used the video to point out a grim irony. Our riskiest cars are often in the hands of our most-at-risk drivers. A 19-year-old car driven by a 16-year-old kid is not unusual. Ditto, an 80-year-old. Says ANCAP CEO James Goodwin: "It is unfortunate we tend to see our most at-risk drivers – the young and inexperienced, as well as the elderly and more frail – in the most at-risk vehicles, and we hope this test promotes a conversation to encourage all motorists to consider the safety of their car."

I know plenty of people who spend at least $100 a month on their cell phone bill, but don't want a $300+ monthly car bill...but if you could lower the price to $99 a month for a safe commuter car (the Elio is supposed to be 5-star rated, at least in its class), that would make it pretty affordable for a teenager working at a part-time job after school, for a retired person on a fixed income, etc. So I'm rooting for them...even though it's not the perfect car, it would fill a much-needed void in our existing automotive safety profile, especially if the government partnered with them to do another "cash for clunkers" program, but apply the money to subsidizing the vehicle to make them more affordable for people to get out of their deathtraps. I have way too many friends who have died in car accidents that are partly due to being in older cars with less safety technology that what's available on newer models, which is a shame because personal automotive safety shouldn't be something that is dictated by personal economics.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
(the Elio is supposed to be 5-star rated, at least in its class)

That's great you care about safety and wrote a long post about it, but it's a joke if you believe anything Elios says.

First of all, it doesn't even fall within an NHTSA safety class because the weight is so low - "in it's class" is meaningless. The whole purpose of going to three wheels was to avoid safety and emissions standards of cars in the first place. Elios never planned to meet car standards until the NHTSA said they were considering changing the rules on three wheeled vehicles. At that point Elios simply said "sure, we will have a 5 star crash rating!"... By that point they already had zero credibility. In fact, The Elios VP has specifically said they will not meet a 5 star rating:
http://www.hybridcars.com/elio-to-launch-by-mid-2016-with-41000-reservations-and-counting/

Even if they did have their own weight class, and even if they did get 5 stars, it would be still be less safe than other cars -frontal crash ratings are relative to a vehicle of the same size (and all cars on the road are bigger than the Elios).

It's stupid to believe anything these guys say, but it's moot since it won't be built.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's great you care about safety and wrote a long post about it, but it's a joke if you believe anything Elios says.

First of all, it doesn't even fall within an NHTSA safety class because the weight is so low - "in it's class" is meaningless. The whole purpose of going to three wheels was to avoid safety and emissions standards of cars in the first place. Elios never planned to meet car standards until the NHTSA said they were considering changing the rules on three wheeled vehicles. At that point Elios simply said "sure, we will have a 5 star crash rating!"... By that point they already had zero credibility. In fact, The Elios VP has specifically said they will not meet a 5 star rating:
http://www.hybridcars.com/elio-to-launch-by-mid-2016-with-41000-reservations-and-counting/

Even if they did have their own weight class, and even if they did get 5 stars, it would be still be less safe than other cars -frontal crash ratings are relative to a vehicle of the same size (and all cars on the road are bigger than the Elios).

It's stupid to believe anything these guys say, but it's moot since it won't be built.

Oh, I don't disagree. When you look at our system, it really depends on the car, you know? The Mini Cooper is actually an IIHS Top Safety Pick & gets a 5-star safety rating:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mini/cooper-2-door-hatchback/2017

Airbags, crumble zones, etc...but how does that go up against a Ford Expedition? And for that matter, how does a Ford Expedition go up against the big boys on the road, like semis & dump trucks? Despite the 5-star crash-test ratings on cars, it's kind of laughable because we don't truly enforce things like bumper-height requirements. I would be curious to see (if Elio ever goes to production & ever does achieve a 5-star rating) how it compares to the video above with the 17-year-old Corrolla. Physics makes me think it would get smooshed, but I've also seen cars with rollcages survive some pretty gnarly crashes, so it'd be interesting to see some real-life crash tests with actual production models. Assuming they ever get to that point.

Starting a car company seems like a really difficult thing to do. Elon Musk was fortunate because he already had his Paypal money to help fund things (he dumped $70 million of his own cash into it). I don't know how Elio is going to fare, but it's not looking too good at the moment...

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Friends in Louisiana sent me this story. Elio received over $40 million USD for deposit from 65,000 people and so far, none of the depositors receive anything so one of them is suing Elio - http://www.ktbs.com/story/35447384/elio-reservation-holder-sues-for-deposit-back

They can sue all they want, but they're probably chasing an empty bag. Does the company have any actual assets that could be liquidated to pay off creditors? They've burned through almost all the cash (at least what hasn't been stolen or hidden in offshore accounts) without building any real infrastructure. The money flows through Elio like shit through a goose. All those depositors are going to win and then they're going to collect nothing.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
So how is Elio Motors doing? pinksheet stock is in the dumps, looks like no cars being build and I heard only a few thousands left in the bank.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
First of all, it doesn't even fall within an NHTSA safety class because the weight is so low - "in it's class" is meaningless.
The whole purpose of going to three wheels was to avoid safety and emissions standards of cars in the first place.

Elios never planned to meet car standards until the NHTSA said they were considering changing the rules on three wheeled vehicles. At that point Elios simply said "sure, we will have a 5 star crash rating!"... By that point they already had zero credibility. In fact, The Elios VP has specifically said they will not meet a 5 star rating:

remind me again how the Elio is different from a Tryke?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I think launching their own cryto-currency is a laughable idea, the reason Bitcoin became so popular was drug dealers (and anyone involved in nefarious activity) could use it without bring traced, that won't be of benefit with "Eliocoin", the lulz is amazing. Bottom line was it was an OK idea when gas was $4/gallon, with gas hovering between $2.50-3.00 no one will want one of these. One would be better off spending $7,895 on a reliable, safe used car.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think launching their own cryto-currency is a laughable idea, the reason Bitcoin became so popular was drug dealers (and anyone involved in nefarious activity) could use it without bring traced, that won't be of benefit with "Eliocoin", the lulz is amazing. Bottom line was it was an OK idea when gas was $4/gallon, with gas hovering between $2.50-3.00 no one will want one of these. One would be better off spending $7,895 on a reliable, safe used car.

well, the car is supposed to be less than $10k, right? 84mpg is nothing to sneeze at, if correct. It simply doesn't matter what is the price of gas at that point. Even if we are looking at perpetual cheap gas (which of course, we aren't), that is a pretty solid option.

yes yes, people are idiotic and irrational, and are instantly capable of forgetting that they were paying $4/gallon the month before, so yeah, consumers are idiots. ...but that doesn't take away from the rationality of the sector that this car is aiming for...

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
well, the car is supposed to be less than $10k, right? 84mpg is nothing to sneeze at, if correct. It simply doesn't matter what is the price of gas at that point. Even if we are looking at perpetual cheap gas (which of course, we aren't), that is a pretty solid option.

yes yes, people are idiotic and irrational, and are instantly capable of forgetting that they were paying $4/gallon the month before, so yeah, consumers are idiots. ...but that doesn't take away from the rationality of the sector that this car is aiming for...

Unless you need the range, i'd say a used Leaf would be a better buy. 11' and 12's can be had for less than 10k and 13-14 will be getting close soon. Think they are too late to the game. EV will make them useless

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Unless you need the range, i'd say a used Leaf would be a better buy. 11' and 12's can be had for less than 10k and 13-14 will be getting close soon. Think they are too late to the game. EV will make them useless

Solo commuters from 45-70 miles away from work do not want electric. Many people have no way to charge a car - apartments, condos, homes without a garage. Charging stations are another $2,000 to have installed in your home.

You're talking about 6-8yr old cars with no warranty, reduced range, and may require a complete battery pack replacement soon against a brand new car.

Electrics in the winter have 30% less range due to running the heater, I assume the same with AC running.

The Elio is the perfect solo commuter car - its cheap, its efficient, it has good enough safety. These are not being bought for high speed interstate cruising, they will be bought by those who have to slog there way to work everyday through gridlock. Seats 2, with a bit of cargo room.

$8,500 with AC, bluetooth, automatic trans and 70mpg will have this thing flying off the dealer lots.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Solo commuters from 45-70 miles away from work do not want electric. Many people have no way to charge a car - apartments, condos, homes without a garage. Charging stations are another $2,000 to have installed in your home.

You're talking about 6-8yr old cars with no warranty, reduced range, and may require a complete battery pack replacement soon against a brand new car.

Electrics in the winter have 30% less range due to running the heater, I assume the same with AC running.

The Elio is the perfect solo commuter car - its cheap, its efficient, it has good enough safety. These are not being bought for high speed interstate cruising, they will be bought by those who have to slog there way to work everyday through gridlock. Seats 2, with a bit of cargo room.

$8,500 with AC, bluetooth, automatic trans and 70mpg will have this thing flying off the dealer lots.

I knew mentioning EV would bring out a worst caser. OH! but what if I have to drive 200mi each way, uphill through 1' of snow towing 50k lbs? No electric will do that! I did say unless you needed the range, but how many people commute 45-70 miles? Think the avg commute is 25mins. Well within range for a 11' and 12' leaf. My brother just picked up an 11' leaf with the revised lizard pack in it for $7k. This is the worst range you can get from an ev, they only get better in later years. I'd say 2k is a worst case for a 240v charger. Brother already had a 240 outlet in the garage so all he needed was a $300 charger and now he can charge faster. Others paid 1k for an electrician and charger combined. The charger cost is only if you want to do 240v charging. It comes with a 120v charger, if you just use it for commuting and charge overnight, it can do the job for free.

Will an ev fill everyone's needs? No. Will it fill most? Probably. Charging networks are getting bigger. VW wants to put charging stations at walmart. Porsche wants to build their own supercharging network. I just think by the time the Elio is actually on the road, the EVs will be bigger competition and people won't want to compromise on the Elio. I like the Elio, but think it is too late

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

So much fail in so little space, I have to be impressed. Mostly I'm laughing, yet still somehow impressed.

First, the Elio is not 8,500, it doesn't have bluetooth, automatic or a 70mog rating. It's VAPORWARE. It's not any closer to delivering on its promised specs than my $5000 time machine with leather interior, full bar, Playboy Playmate bartender and jacuzzi (invest now!! no CoolCoin accepted, cash only). Even if Elio isn't a con man and even if something similar gets built it won't come close to approaching those specs for that price.

But mostly, it's a silly idea in a silly package that's being marketed to a buyer that doesn't seem to exist anymore. A car like that will only appeal to the young, broke, urban audience. An older person won't go near one, a family or couple won't go near one, a person that drives often or more than 10 miles at a stretch won't go near one, etc etc etc. The only probable target buyers would be really lonely single males in cities like New York, San Francisco or Tokyo where traffic and space make having a real car difficult. But that demographic is split into two camps: First, those who understand a car isn't practical in that environment, but deals with one anyway because they need one for carrying things, weekend trips out of the city, etc. And second, those who have learned to live without a car entirely and rely on public transport, ride shares, etc. And none of those people are going to want an Elio. Those who want/need a car are going to look at it as a stupid compromise with most of the hassles of a real car, but almost none of the benefits and those who have learned to live without a car are not going to jump into car ownership hassles for something with none of the practicality of a car.

Larger companies, like Honda or Toyota, have sold hundreds of millions of small city cars to people who have to slog through gridlock every day. They have the resources and engineering to easily copy this basic package, which, lets face it, is nothing more than a motorcycle in a plastic egg like cheap pantyhose. It's something they could knock off in an afternoon and with economy of scale bring to market cheaper than Elio. The fact that they're not interested in doing it should tell you something. You can't make the vehicle Elio is promising at the price Elio is promising and even if you could, not many people would want one.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Wow over 3 years since I posted this and yet no 3 wheeled motovehicle. They still keep getting money thrown at them, Overstock threw 2.5 million at them, I guess they have too much money stuffed in safes and needed to unload excess money. How difficult is to start building a few?

I wonder how many years before Elio Motors is finally put out to pasture.

2019 for Year of Linux on the desktop and Elio in the parking garage?

Reactions: Skel and Perknose

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I spoke recently to a few friends in Louisiana that used to work in the GM plant that was shut down and Elio was planning to create a new business in that exact plant. So far, not a damn thing from Elio but hot air and empty promise.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I spoke recently to a few friends in Louisiana that used to work in the GM plant that was shut down and Elio was planning to create a new business in that exact plant. So far, not a damn thing from Elio but hot air and empty promise.

Smells fishy could be scam The founder of Elio Motors has a separate company where he is also the CEO (ESG Engineering) He funnels money from Corporation A to the parasite corporation B.

Good sized chunk of the millions from deposits etc.. was used to pay for services provided by ESG to Elio Motors the parasite corporation sucking dry the parent. What Paul Elio wants to do is lengthen the death of the target corporation as long as he can while he keeps getting cash infusions and deposits that will be sent to ESG Engineering (16+ Million).

Oh and the 7.5 million dollar building lease, paid to a corporation that is connected to Elio via his buddy Stu Lichter.

Plus tons of stock handed to insiders that most likely got dumped via classic boiler room pump and dump schemes over time.

There might be other related parasite corporations involved as well. Why is the WSJ etc.. not doing any investigative reporting on mess?

OH!!! Forgot there is a Elio coin ICO in the works as well. Hey might as well dip your toe in the ICO once the automobile game blows over.
www.eliocoin.com

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
So much fail in so little space, I have to be impressed. Mostly I'm laughing, yet still somehow impressed.

First, the Elio is not 8,500, it doesn't have bluetooth, automatic or a 70mog rating. It's VAPORWARE. It's not any closer to delivering on its promised specs than my $5000 time machine with leather interior, full bar, Playboy Playmate bartender and jacuzzi (invest now!! no CoolCoin accepted, cash only). Even if Elio isn't a con man and even if something similar gets built it won't come close to approaching those specs for that price.

But mostly, it's a silly idea in a silly package that's being marketed to a buyer that doesn't seem to exist anymore. A car like that will only appeal to the young, broke, urban audience. An older person won't go near one, a family or couple won't go near one, a person that drives often or more than 10 miles at a stretch won't go near one, etc etc etc. The only probable target buyers would be really lonely single males in cities like New York, San Francisco or Tokyo where traffic and space make having a real car difficult. But that demographic is split into two camps: First, those who understand a car isn't practical in that environment, but deals with one anyway because they need one for carrying things, weekend trips out of the city, etc. And second, those who have learned to live without a car entirely and rely on public transport, ride shares, etc. And none of those people are going to want an Elio. Those who want/need a car are going to look at it as a stupid compromise with most of the hassles of a real car, but almost none of the benefits and those who have learned to live without a car are not going to jump into car ownership hassles for something with none of the practicality of a car.

Larger companies, like Honda or Toyota, have sold hundreds of millions of small city cars to people who have to slog through gridlock every day. They have the resources and engineering to easily copy this basic package, which, lets face it, is nothing more than a motorcycle in a plastic egg like cheap pantyhose. It's something they could knock off in an afternoon and with economy of scale bring to market cheaper than Elio. The fact that they're not interested in doing it should tell you something. You can't make the vehicle Elio is promising at the price Elio is promising and even if you could, not many people would want one.

I always thought it would've made more sense to underspec and overdeliver (i.e. claim 70mpg, if you hit more than that, you can then shout about it; I realize being sensationalist helps attract attention, but I think 70mpg in similar package for $9999 would've gotten people to notice it just about as much, and it'd be more realistic, giving them a buffer, where they could work towards more for less money with revisions). I don't know if he's a conman or not, don't even care, as I'm more focused on the idea.

You say its silly, and it is, but I also like the type of silly it is. I've repeatedly said it, but I think this would make for a great "backpack" vehicle. Yes, you can get most of what it offers with a LOT of other practicality for the same or less in a used Prius (which you know will be reliable and has a pretty extensive network of service and parts). For the person ranting about used Leafs, the Prius is a much better argument. There actually is some company developing a car like the Elio that uses an electric drivetrain. I'd love for them to be successful.

I do think demand for it wouldn't be nearly what it could be (they need to put big wheels and tires - knobbly off road ones and call it an SUV), but then we can see that consumers often are irrational. So it'd probably be popular and then fizzle out. I actually think these would make sense for younger drivers in rural areas. It gets them a car, for cheap, that gets good gas mileage (they often will drive a fair bit for school and/or work), their parents can rest easy that they can't be too big of an idiot in it (and can't fit a bunch of friends in, which is a recipe for disaster with teens).

Certainly its a niche vehicle, but we have plenty of those (and a fair amount of them that are actually quite successful, even at ridiculous prices). I don't get the weird intense disdain some of you have for this type of vehicle.

You realize those exact same arguments were said about electric cars before Tesla, right? That's the thing though, those companies are fairly stuck in having to make a full billion dollar use case for most vehicles they make. That's exactly why they dragged their buts so hard on electric vehicles. And its why they nearly crashed their entire industry because they get stuck in stupid ways. Like how they knew people want SUVs, but couldn't deal with the jacked up prices and gas. So then they go and base them off of cars (all the way down to economy cars), add smartphone support, and now a decade later, in spite of rising gas prices, people are doing the same damn thing (buying SUVs and trucks). Many of these companies were completely opposed to even consider small projects like this (they themselves have said that, that's why they collectively freaked out when Tesla started being successful because they realize that they could get hit hard if someone were to come along and actually make some of these "silly" ideas work).

Wow over 3 years since I posted this and yet no 3 wheeled motovehicle. They still keep getting money thrown at them, Overstock threw 2.5 million at them, I guess they have too much money stuffed in safes and needed to unload excess money. How difficult is to start building a few?

I wonder how many years before Elio Motors is finally put out to pasture.

2019 for Year of Linux on the desktop and Elio in the parking garage?

I don't know, you tell us, after all weren't you the one predicting their imminent demise every few months? Were you the same one doing the same thing for Tesla?

I actually don't even get this weird infatuation with company "death watches", especially when it gets ridiculous (hasn't RIM been on "death watch" for like 10 years?)

Smells fishy could be scam The founder of Elio Motors has a separate company where he is also the CEO (ESG Engineering) He funnels money from Corporation A to the parasite corporation B.

Good sized chunk of the millions from deposits etc.. was used to pay for services provided by ESG to Elio Motors the parasite corporation sucking dry the parent. What Paul Elio wants to do is lengthen the death of the target corporation as long as he can while he keeps getting cash infusions and deposits that will be sent to ESG Engineering (16+ Million).

Oh and the 7.5 million dollar building lease, paid to a corporation that is connected to Elio via his buddy Stu Lichter.

Plus tons of stock handed to insiders that most likely got dumped via classic boiler room pump and dump schemes over time.

There might be other related parasite corporations involved as well. Why is the WSJ etc.. not doing any investigative reporting on mess?

OH!!! Forgot there is a Elio coin ICO in the works as well. Hey might as well dip your toe in the ICO once the automobile game blows over.
www.eliocoin.com

You seem like you sure know a lot, so why aren't you writing an explosive expose on all of this? Seriously, you'd be doing people a lot of good will if you actually were able to prove its a scam. And any of the well meaning people that just wanted to make or buy a quirky car won't keep wasting their time and money on this. Hell, I bet you could write a book and make some nice money even (although probably do better if you focused on trying to make it into a movie).

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Tesla is next, I do not see them around 5 years from now. Blackberry, do they still make phones? Maybe the media should start hiring journalists and stop using unpaid internships and "Citizen journalists" (unpaid bloggers), we might actually get a good story on Elio Motors. Do you have some kind of financial interest in Elio Motors?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
They just announced no trim levels:

https://www.eliomotors.com/trimming-costs/

Man, that's crazy! Their own article says that the current price difference between the various trim levels on a Ford F-150 is $33,655 (from a base model to fully-loaded). That's pretty crazy not to offer different trim levels, which are essentially just cash cows for the manufacturer with virtually no extra work. Like, on my last Kia Soul, I bought the stick-shift model, which is only available in base in the United States - but all of the electronics are there, so for the cost of a harness & steering wheel plastic button assembly (~$80 iirc), I was able to add cruise-control to my car. So they just used a universal electronics module for everything, and sold the car in different configurations. So many opportunities to jack up the price on the Elio...custom colors, spiffy rims, chrome pieces, adaptive cruise control, sports tires, leather seating, heated seats & steering wheel, etc.

I still hold out hope that they can get the company rolling. Right now it sounds like one giant joke though, which is a pity because I have a lot of friends in dire financial circumstances who could really use better, safer cars than they currently own. One of my buddies recently moved up by me & bought a car with zero credit history. He had to eat a 40% loan. Yes, forty percent. On a high-mile used car, no less. A sub-$8k commuter car that is reasonably safe & gets good gas mileage would be a minor miracle for a lot of people, especially with the creative ways they've talked about financing an Elio for personal use. Although, if the Sondors electric car ($10k starting price) really takes off, maybe that will be an even better alternative:

https://sondorselectriccar.com/