Elio Motors death bet. PLACE YOUR BETS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Elios motor produce or its all vaporware and they implode.

• YES Elio Motors will be a success and everyone wins.

• NO, They will never survive and most likely deposits lost.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Depends entirely on the make. Some $50k plus cars sell for 5-6k after 8 years of sitting in grandma and grandpa's garage so that's absolutely untrue. I'd rather have a big car capable of protecting me from an accident than get ripped to piece's in a POS like that and for this reason I hope these things go under.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Looks great. I would consider it if cheap; enough.

this is not the vehicle that was on top gear. this is more like the spyder motorcycle. they are safer to drive.

Planned pricing is $6900.

If they get made, I would probably buy one as a commuter vehicle.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
I am interested in one. I drove a motorcycle as a daily commuter for a couple of years, don't see how this could be any more dangerous. Having a two seater, cheap, high gas economy car would be awesome.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Seems pretty impractical.

And, might as well buy a Cooper or Fiat.

Depends on its use. For a commuter car, it's very practical.

As for it vs Cooper or Fiat. Around 1/3rd the cost of a Fiat 500 and much better mileage. 1/3 to 1/4th the price of a Cooper.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Depends entirely on the make. Some $50k plus cars sell for 5-6k after 8 years of sitting in grandma and grandpa's garage so that's absolutely untrue. I'd rather have a big car capable of protecting me from an accident than get ripped to piece's in a POS like that and for this reason I hope these things go under.

i don't hear people in Smart cars dying in accidents above the avg

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
At $7500 new + 84mpg it will sell, unless crash ratings are horrendous.

If your that hard up for cash that you need 84mpg to afford driving, your not gonna pay 7500 for that.

I really do not see much of a market for them. Also I suspect the whole thing will never make it off the ground. All the deposit holders are gonna end up as creditors waiting in line for pennies on the dollar.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm almost surprised one of the car rental companies hasn't put up a bunch of money to get this into production. It'd be a big boost for them. Cheap cars so their customers treating them like shit matters less, cheap on gas, a lot of people renting vehicles are just one person needing just basic transportation, and it would enable them to offer cheaper prices.

I think this would be a great "backpack" car, in that you could go off on long trips whenever you have the time (like people that take like a month backpacking in between college semesters/etc). It'd have enough room to have a tent and the like, it'd offer faster mobility than a bike, be enclosed so not as hard of a trip as on a motorcycle (could even enable one to take a pet). It'd get good mileage, should be cheap to maintain and get worked on.

I absolutely will buy one if they go to market, and are sold close to the projected price. I don't believe in it enough to gamble my money up front, but $8k for a car is getting close to disposable tier.

Yeah, there's a lot of people that cars are just appliances and the costs (both of the vehicle and maintaining it) are sunk costs that prevent them from doing more that they actually want.

I think this car also offers people more freedom in that they can have this as their cheap practical car for getting to work, and then can splurge and get a different vehicle that is all about wants (sports car, Jeep, etc) or other needs.

That line of thought is straight up stupid. If anything you'd want other drivers to be in things like this as that would likely make things safer for you.

If your that hard up for cash that you need 84mpg to afford driving, your not gonna pay 7500 for that.

I really do not see much of a market for them. Also I suspect the whole thing will never make it off the ground. All the deposit holders are gonna end up as creditors waiting in line for pennies on the dollar.

I don't think it is about being hard up for cash. But this would be an excellent commuter car so that people could have this, but then have a pickup or a luxury, or sports car. It gives them a cheap way of having multiple cars to suit different needs or wants. I think the price and the MPG alone would get a lot of people interested, and the combination of the two just makes it that much more attractive.

I really do not understand your hatred for this. Even if you hate Elio I don't know why you're so belligerent about what this car offers. Hell even if they can just do 50mpg for $10k in this form factor (without total garbage safety) that would be quite a feat.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I'm almost surprised one of the car rental companies hasn't put up a bunch of money to get this into production ...

Because it's not real? Let me again emphasize that this is a guy, with a homemade prototype, throwing out an absurdly low selling price trying to raise texa$ through marketing hype.

Polaris (one of the largest transportation manufacturers in the world) sells their three-wheeled vehicle for what, $15k? How can anyone believe Elio motors, with zero economy-of-scale can put a competitive vehicle on the market for less than half of Polaris? The price is pure fiction. The big 4 japanese motorcycle manufacturers only have a couple of street models among them that list for < $7,000, and those are two-wheelers, and those companies have 100 years of manufacturing and business expertise working to their advantage.

It will never happen. They'll continue raising capital until the well runs dry and then disappear.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Been following Elio since day one - I will own one if this is produced and comes to market under $8K. Give me 75mpg, low cost of maintenance, cheap insurance & AC and I will drive this thing into the ground. 18K of the 22K miles I put on a car in a year are solo-commuting.

I will be installing a slender box on the top for weekend trips for the wife & me -

thule_sonic-alpine-02.jpg

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Elio motors now selling Letter stock (Letter security) for 12 dollars a share. These unlisted securities are very illiquid and have no market.

They are pushing this "IPO" via Facebook and are reeling in the fools.

I Predict 2016 will be the year Elio Motors implodes in scandal, and lots of people will be holding the bag.

#1 NO functional factory so far.
#2 NO full production intent prototype.
#3 NO working capital goals reached.

3 strikes already.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Elio motors now selling Letter stock (Letter security) for 12 dollars a share. These unlisted securities are very illiquid and have no market.

They are pushing this "IPO" via Facebook and are reeling in the fools.

I Predict 2016 will be the year Elio Motors implodes in scandal, and lots of people will be holding the bag.

#1 NO functional factory so far.
#2 NO full production intent prototype.
#3 NO working capital goals reached.

3 strikes already.

I really hope they do win. They have a great market - get rid of old beaters, have something that is easy to work on (Pep Boys parts & service), an inexpensive car for students, eco-friendly for single work commuters, etc. Assuming they could meet the 5-star crash-test safety rating, it would be an amazing machine. I wish someone like Elon Musk would give them the cash they need to make it happen & fill in the lower-end of the automotive spectrum.

But there's also a good chance of this turning into vaporware, or perhaps even worse, actually getting produced but not meeting the safety requirements, which may have to be sacrificed to make it work. I'm a big fan of the early 80's Delorean, which was supposed to be a super-safe car & have the first airbags on the market, but the budget & deadlines means it just didn't happen...it ended up being a fiberglass illusion with stainless-steel panels & a horribly unsafe Y-frame design. Jalopnik has a good article on Elio from a few weeks ago:

http://jalopnik.com/the-difference-between-elios-crowdfunding-pitch-and-and-1744213503

Perhaps the most telling paragraph:

The company does not have “a final design, a built-out manufacturing facility or manufacturing processes,” though company founder Paul Elio did tell us the company had plenty of equipment, if not tooling. There is also no recourse if anything happens to him, the “driving force” behind the company, or if he leaves for some reason, the filings say.

Per Wikipedia:

A lack of funding has been the primary obstacle to production over the last five years. On their homepage they say the Elio will be "[c]oming fourth quarter 2016." The delay will mean Elio will miss the deadline to reserve their space in Shreveport's old GM plant. An extension of the deadline is possible.

Obviously none of the big car makers want them to succeed. The EV guys like Musk don't want them to succeed. Lots of places & people could fully fund them in an instant, but no one has yet. Five prototypes, years of work, no shop, no build procedure, and they're going to miss the deadline to get the plant they wanted. Doesn't look good, but I'm still rooting for them...but reality is reality. If there comes a day when I can run down to Pep Boys, hand over $8k & get a 5-star Elio, then heck yeah I'd be interested. Until then, too many Kickstarter projects have gone down the tubes & with a project as big & as ambitious as this, there's no telling how (or when) it will turn out.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I really hope they do win. They have a great market - get rid of old beaters, have something that is easy to work on (Pep Boys parts & service), an inexpensive car for students, eco-friendly for single work commuters, etc. Assuming they could meet the 5-star crash-test safety rating, it would be an amazing machine. I wish someone like Elon Musk would give them the cash they need to make it happen & fill in the lower-end of the automotive spectrum.

But there's also a good chance of this turning into vaporware, or perhaps even worse, actually getting produced but not meeting the safety requirements, which may have to be sacrificed to make it work. I'm a big fan of the early 80's Delorean, which was supposed to be a super-safe car & have the first airbags on the market, but the budget & deadlines means it just didn't happen...it ended up being a fiberglass illusion with stainless-steel panels & a horribly unsafe Y-frame design. Jalopnik has a good article on Elio from a few weeks ago:

http://jalopnik.com/the-difference-between-elios-crowdfunding-pitch-and-and-1744213503

Perhaps the most telling paragraph:

Per Wikipedia:

Obviously none of the big car makers want them to succeed. The EV guys like Musk don't want them to succeed. Lots of places & people could fully fund them in an instant, but no one has yet. Five prototypes, years of work, no shop, no build procedure, and they're going to miss the deadline to get the plant they wanted. Doesn't look good, but I'm still rooting for them...but reality is reality. If there comes a day when I can run down to Pep Boys, hand over $8k & get a 5-star Elio, then heck yeah I'd be interested. Until then, too many Kickstarter projects have gone down the tubes & with a project as big & as ambitious as this, there's no telling how (or when) it will turn out.

It's not helping him in that gas has hit record lows recently, taking away most of the reason for getting one in the first place.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Almost 2017. No Elio motors, also there is an Elio Motors scam report website.

https://www.facebook.com/Elio-Motors-Scam-Report-296567303873692/

"
Just in case anyone was fooled by that dog-and-pony act at the L.A. auto show, the latest SEC filing is out, and Elio Motors is still broke. There was this new bit of language added, which sounds particularly ominous:

"We have experienced recurring net losses from operations, which losses have caused an accumulated deficit of $123,212,432 as of September 30, 2016. In addition, we have a working capital deficit of $25,769,911 as of September 30, 2016. We had a net loss of $34,787,800 and $13,873,656 for the nine months ended September 30, 2016 and 2015, respectively. These factors, among others, raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern. If we are unable to continue to obtain financing to meet our working capital requirements, we may have to curtail our business sharply or cease operations altogether. Our continuation as a going concern is dependent upon our ability to generate sufficient cash flow to meet our obligations on a timely basis to retain our current financing, to obtain additional financing, and, ultimately, to attain profitability. Should any of these events not occur, we will be adversely affected and we may have to cease operations."

Now, compare that to Paul Elio saying he only owed 30 million in front of the Commerce Committee a while back, and you can see that he's either ignorant, stupid, or untruthful"

Only 1 engine so far to be shared amongst prototypes?!

"Look closely at these two photos of the P5 prototype. The outdoor shot is from a recent appearance, the indoor shot is from SEMA just a day or so past. The driveshafts are missing! It's been speculated that the IAV engine originally installed in this prototype has been pulled to put into the new one they're showing in Los Angeles. Could it be they only have ONE ENGINE?"

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Spoke with friends in Lousiana (with the old GM plant in which Elio was planning to open and build his new vehicles) and so far, not a damn thing is happening but more promises and empty space in that huge plant. I am not holding my breath.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Spoke with friends in Lousiana (with the old GM plant in which Elio was planning to open and build his new vehicles) and so far, not a damn thing is happening but more promises and empty space in that huge plant. I am not holding my breath.

Did they get some kind of Federal funding like Solyndra?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Did they get some kind of Federal funding like Solyndra?

Not sure if they did or not. But I am sure that huge GM plant is still empty (we drove by a few days ago) and Elio pushed back the deadline to build his cars back, again (he was supposed to build his vehicles in 2013/2014 at the old GM plant).

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I can have a full sized car that goes 200mph, does 1000 miles to the gallon and never breaks down on the road by 2025. Gimme money now!!!

Mar 11, 2004
Ok, Hugo, you predicted they'd implode in 2016. What did you wager on that?

At least this thread is at least more interesting than Adlep and the eCat.