Elden Ring Releasing Feb 2022 - Hidetaka Miyazaki - GRRM - FROM Software

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Since no one has started a thread Elden Ring is releasing on February 2022.

It's basically Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro all combined with a more open world. This was the game George RR Martin worked on many years ago providing lore, and world building.

Looks like 2022 is going to start off great with GOW on PC in Jan and then Elden Ring following in Feb.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Ps3 graphics on a PS5. That would be fine if the gameplay was good, but that looks bad to me as well.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Can't wait! Been drooling since the first trailer.
Now with the gameplay trailer out, I had to replace my flooring and put a "Slippery when wet" sign around my computer.

I don't care about the graphics, i've platinum'd DS2 et DS3 and working on DS1R. I'm gonna play ER like a madman.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Looking forward to this. I played Sekiro for a few hours but it never clicked. Hoping I enjoy this more. I've put 60+ hours in each Dark Souls game.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
real time combat with dodging, blocks, and ripostes that require perfect timing? what am a teenager?? im too old for this s***.

Well you could just get a great shield, spear, and poke your enemy to death. :)

Can't wait! Been drooling since the first trailer.
Now with the gameplay trailer out, I had to replace my flooring and put a "Slippery when wet" sign around my computer.

I don't care about the graphics, i've platinum'd DS2 et DS3 and working on DS1R. I'm gonna play ER like a madman.

Yeah I don't get the criticism of the graphics. FROM software has a history of reusing assets and animations for their games, there has to be a compromise and especially when trying something new with Elden Ring. Aside from DS2 which was mediocre for me they have yet to make a terrible game.

I found this video the other day covering the topic.

Reactions: Rhezuss

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dark Souls 1 turned me off to FromSoft games forever.

It's the kind of game I would have devoured over a summer break back as a kid, but as an adult I just don't have the time to "Git Gud" at a game and keep throwing myself at a wall until I either figure it out or level my way out of a problem.

My understanding is that FromSoft has blunted some of their QOL issues in their newer games (god damn bonfire placement) so the jury is still out on some of their newer stuff.

Reactions: SMOGZINN

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I started with Demon's Souls on the PS3 and became hooked, but every time I try to start Dark Souls, I just get bored. I don't know why, but I can't ever push myself to finish a run. I have possibly thousands of hours in Demon's Souls and maybe 100 in Dark Souls, but I just can't finish it. I'm fairly certain Dark Souls gets so much praise because it's most people's first "Souls" game, but to me, it's the second game and it's just not as good as the first.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I started with Demon's Souls on the PS3 and became hooked, but every time I try to start Dark Souls, I just get bored. I don't know why, but I can't ever push myself to finish a run. I have possibly thousands of hours in Demon's Souls and maybe 100 in Dark Souls, but I just can't finish it. I'm fairly certain Dark Souls gets so much praise because it's most people's first "Souls" game, but to me, it's the second game and it's just not as good as the first.

Have you considered that you're giving Demon Souls so much praise becaue it's *your* first "Souls" game?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Have you considered that you're giving Demon Souls so much praise becaue it's *your* first "Souls" game?
That was kinda my point of that comment. It was my first and therefore I've compared every game since then to it, whereas most people started with Dark Souls 1 and every other game is built off the first. From my understanding, all the Dark Souls games have the same lore/story whereas Demon's Souls was all on its own so when people started with Dark Souls 1 and went to play Demon's Souls, it felt disjointed and the world didn't click.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That was kinda my point of that comment. It was my first and therefore I've compared every game since then to it, whereas most people started with Dark Souls 1 and every other game is built off the first. From my understanding, all the Dark Souls games have the same lore/story whereas Demon's Souls was all on its own so when people started with Dark Souls 1 and went to play Demon's Souls, it felt disjointed and the world didn't click.
Perhaps. I started with Dark Souls 1, but I think my favorite is 3. Levels are a bit linear but the game play is fun. Haven't tried Demon's Souls. If only they'd port it to PC.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Perhaps. I started with Dark Souls 1, but I think my favorite is 3. Levels are a bit linear but the game play is fun. Haven't tried Demon's Souls. If only they'd port it to PC.

There are the rumors that it will be ported to PC as part of Sony's effort to expand their catalog to the computer. Given that a good number of rumored Sony/PlayStation-only games have been announced for the PC (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, etc.), it wouldn't be surprising if we see it. The unfortunate aspect is that they do seem to ensure there's a good, two-ish year buffer between the release on the PlayStation and the PC release.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There are the rumors that it will be ported to PC as part of Sony's effort to expand their catalog to the computer. Given that a good number of rumored Sony/PlayStation-only games have been announced for the PC (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, etc.), it wouldn't be surprising if we see it. The unfortunate aspect is that they do seem to ensure there's a good, two-ish year buffer between the release on the PlayStation and the PC release.

- Just means it will go on sale fast and the price will crater in no time. Love companies who reliably follow the $60 new / $45 after 3 months / $30 after 6 months/ $20 after 9 months / $10 bucks after a year sales model. A little bit of patience and a huge game library ends up saving you tons of money.

Let other people be the guinea pigs for ports and unpatched games.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The port for Demon Souls should be great considering they remastered it for PS5. Consoles are pretty much PC's at this point.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I finally watched some videos of this last week and it inspired me to play through the Dark Souls series again. Not doing New Game or higher, just a single player through. I finished DS 2 on Sunday and now I'm on to DS 1 remastered. Personally, I like DS 3 the best so I'm saving that for last.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
ive seen a few videos and holy macaroli, thats some insane graphics.
what? thats exactly the opposite of what everyone who complains about the game says. Graphics, effects, polygon counts are par for end-of-life PS4, early PS5. on PC it could get a remaster and look better. obviously, for 4K gaming on the PS5, the graphics need to be tuned down a bit. perhaps utilizing dynamic resolution and all sorts of tricks.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
what? thats exactly the opposite of what everyone who complains about the game says. Graphics, effects, polygon counts are par for end-of-life PS4, early PS5. on PC it could get a remaster and look better. obviously, for 4K gaming on the PS5, the graphics need to be tuned down a bit. perhaps utilizing dynamic resolution and all sorts of tricks.
maybe i like the design?
or maybe i havent kept up with what kids these days call good graphics, if it hasnt got a visual diarrhea of exploding colours, but to me that's the best smoke effect ive seen.
polygon cound dont mean ***.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I looked at the video and there is no way that is anything like PS3 (based on one annoyed fan's comment). It looks fine. I have no idea what people get into when they complain about stuff like this.

I don't see how anyone gets any of that from the available videos; it's not like they know what kind of options are available, either.

Reactions: Artorias

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
There are a bunch of game play videos on Youtube that were posted on 11-10 thru 11-13. The graphics look nice but definitely don't look next gen.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I looked at the video and there is no way that is anything like PS3 (based on one annoyed fan's comment). It looks fine. I have no idea what people get into when they complain about stuff like this.

I don't see how anyone gets any of that from the available videos; it's not like they know what kind of options are available, either.
Don't forget that there were people complaining about the graphics in Crysis on launch. Some people won't be satisfied until video games look better than real life and some simply aren't satisfied unless they're complaining. This is one of the main reasons I steer far from trailers and pre-launch gameplay footage. It's far too easy to get caught up in the negative comments and a game you were once hyped for you're now disappointed with before the product is even released.

If it looks fun and the graphics look good enough, who gives a shit what some random internet stranger has to say?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
speaking of which, didnt Crysis end on a cliffhanger? What happened to that?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
This is probably my top upcoming game, even more than God of War and Horizon.

I've had DS 1 forever but finally got into it after the PS4 remake. Then got hooked on DS3 and played it both on the PS4 and PC. I think I have done NG++++ with three different builds (strength, dex, magic). Originally I could not get anywhere in the Demon Souls remake when I got it last year, but after seeing some of the Elden Ring videos, I went back last week and created a magic build. Trying to Platinum the game now and hopefully that gets me close to next spring.