[EETimes] TSMC starting 5 nm EUV Risk Production in April?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well Intel identify themselves as foremost a fab company.
Fastest densest and cheapest process.
4 years ago in this sub you were flat out ridiculed if you said it wasn't so rosy.
I wouldn't expect their cultural identity to change without some big bang.
What kind of big bang do you expect? The snail paced arrival of their continuously announced 10nm node (of whatever kind) already ensures that most people caring about Intel's fab prowess already fell asleep.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
What kind of big bang do you expect? The snail paced arrival of their continuously announced 10nm node (of whatever kind) already ensures that most people caring about Intel's fab prowess already fell asleep.
Current 10nm is just investor and bod showoff imo.
Intel is stuck in a strategic difficult place. I have no idea how they could get out of it.
Imagine Toyota not manufacturing their own cars. What is left?
The technical identity is tied to manufacturing because it's so damn complex. The problem being everyone with a boatload of money can do the same so the companies have to add something themselves.
Intel prior had superior process.
Its not only money floating into tsmc from apple and everyone it's also knowledge. The open system is just far superior.
Competing here is not possible. And Samsung have effectively the equivalent of the entire GDP of South Korea to back them up.
For Intel to address it I would expect as step one they speak out loud about the challenge. That would be a big bang in itself. Acknowledging the problem. Secondly to have a CEO and top management that is not tailored to manufacturing. And a bod to match it. Then they can make a long term plan.

Reactions: lightmanek

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Wikichip says TSMC 5 nm is ramping and yield "is good". Says that TSMC is estimating that 5 nm will contribute 10% of revenue in 2020.