Easiest way to install Windows 10 on computer being sold?

TheInternal

Jul 7, 2006
So, I can install Windows 10 left and right until I'm blue in the face with no problem. However, Windows 10 Pro requires a user name and password to get to a point where I can toss on any additional software or drivers...

So, how do I easily install Windows, drivers, and software on a system I'm selling without using my own user name and password (like an OEM computer manufacturer does)? In the Windows XP days, my shop had a custom image file we used for each config we built, but that was forever ago and I'm only selling a few one-off builds.

I want my customer to only have to key in their email, password, and activate with the retail Windows key included with the system and have it good to go.

Googling hasn't provided the answer, so I hoped maybe someone knew of an easy way to do this. Thanks.

Two of the keys will be windows pro 7 keys I upgraded to windows 10 pro, and an 8.1 pro key upgraded to windows 10 pro... If that matters.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
User name: Owner
no password

Why is their e-mail address and password necessary? It's not necessary for activation either.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You will have to select offline account, not microsoft account. MS accounts require a password and email.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You will have to select offline account, not microsoft account. MS accounts require a password and email.
Offline accounts of a freshly-installed Win10 1803, REQUIRE "Three Security Questions" (3 security holes, AFAIAC). It's utterly stupid.

Reactions: mikeymikec

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Are you sure about this? What if a password is not selected? Typically when I install windows for a user, I leave password blank, they can add one later if they want.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Offline accounts of a freshly-installed Win10 1803, REQUIRE "Three Security Questions" (3 security holes, AFAIAC). It's utterly stupid.

Really? While I haven't clean installed with 1803 I've done plenty of upgrades to it without seeing anything like this. Admittedly Schmee may have a point, I haven't set up any fresh installs of Win10 with passwords on offline accounts.

I'm planning on setting up dual boot today, I'll try it with a freshly downloaded ISO.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I wonder if MS's strategy is to persist in this level of pettiness in the long term (ie. not requiring users to sign in with Microsoft accounts, but doing lots of petty things to make it increasingly awkward for users wishing to avoid using MS accounts), or something worse.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Looks like the work around is easy enough.