Early next year, sub 1000$ 28" Dell P2815Q 4K Monitor

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I am baffled. I think I have to get one :)

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/usc...&cid=271006&lid=4970696&acd=12309188680294295

Coming Soon: Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor– Expected to be The Industry’s Most Affordable Ultra HD Monitor
The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor will be available in early 2014. Offering the same incredible Ultra HD screen performance as the Dell UltraSharp 32 and Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitors, but priced at under $1,000, this 28-inch monitor can help boost user productivity with its multiple adjustability features, including the ability to pivot to portrait mode, plus multi-task applications. The energy efficient monitor has multiple input ports that allow users to display content from smartphones and tablets on the larger screen, and conveniently connect laptops, PCs and essential accessories. Dell expects this monitor will be the most affordable Ultra HD monitor in the industry when it is launched.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Yup, and some people were calling the focus on 4k in reviews/etc worthless, because the displays are not affordable and won't be for YEARS

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
wooo.......hmmmm.......I got my laptop for work; I really could use a workstation also and monitor upgrade.....*grins*

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
thanks Shin......I think I found some work upgrades that I just have to have to be happy......:D

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Not quite. The 24 inch model has full 10 bit color while the 30 inch model is designed for consumer use with 8 bit color. In other words, the 24 inch model is for professionals using Quadro/Firepro cards and need 10 bit color, while the 30 inch model is an 8 bit color model.

To be clear, 99% of users and certainly no one here (I don't believe) can use 10 bit color. The 30 inch model is for consumer use, while the 24 inch model is geared towards professional content creation.

As far as i'm concerned, 10 bit color is useless for anyone who isn't doing video/photo editing for their job, so i'd much rather get the 30 inch 8 bit color model. Can't wait for the 30" to be released, probably a day one purchase for me.

Last edited:

rancherlee

Jul 9, 2000
Yup, and some people were calling the focus on 4k in reviews/etc worthless, because the displays are not affordable and won't be for YEARS

Sub 1000$ for a 28" screen affordable?!? call me when its under 500$ (like 1440p screens that size) THEN it will be "affordable". Then again to the guys rockin the tri/quad Titans/290x's needed to run 4k 1000$ isn't much I guess.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Not quite. The 24 inch model has full 10 bit color while the 30 inch model is designed for consumer use with 8 bit color. In other words, the 24 inch model is for professionals using Quadro/Firepro cards and need 10 bit color, while the 30 inch model is an 8 bit color model.

To be clear, 99% of users and certainly no one here (I don't believe) can use 10 bit color. The 30 inch model is for consumer use, while the 24 inch model is geared towards professional content creation.

As far as i'm concerned, 10 bit color is useless for anyone who isn't doing video/photo editing for their job, so i'd much rather get the 30 inch 8 bit color model. Can't wait for the 30" to be released, probably a day one purchase for me.

There is no 30". Only 24, 28 and 32.

This is the 32"
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=210-ACBL

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I meant the 28" model. The 28" is 8 bit color while the 24" is 10 bit color - the former is for consumer use, the latter is for professional content creation.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Sub 1000$ for a 28" screen affordable?!? call me when its under 500$ (like 1440p screens that size) THEN it will be "affordable". Then again to the guys rockin the tri/quad Titans/290x's needed to run 4k 1000$ isn't much I guess.

$1k on a 28" 4k monitor is a lot more sensible than $1k on two 290s/780s/one Titan etc.
It will last much much longer.
It's also barely more than current 30" 1600p monitors, and less than a third of the 32" 4k monitors.

Pretty much makes it to affordable levels. Not cheap, but affordable.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This is great, but you will still need more GPU power than is currently available to run high settings at 60fps. I had the Asus 4K briefly and performance sucked on Titan SLI at the settings I wanted to run. Also nvidia is setting us up for fail at 4K with their current 3GB VRAM cards.

I will still get one of these because the price is great and it is Dell, so the quality and warranty is top notch. But I do not think I will game much on it until 20nm flagship GPUs are available, and still expect to need two or three of them to run good settings at 4K and get 60fps.

Are these 60hz capable screens ? Did not see that mentioned anywhere.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Sub 1000$ for a 28" screen affordable?!? call me when its under 500$ (like 1440p screens that size) THEN it will be "affordable".

Consider that before this announcement, the cheapest 4K@60Hz monitor was $3500. Prices are dropping fast, and should continue to go down faster.

Seiki has a 39" 4K TV that is selling for as low as $500. The only reason this can't be effectively used as a PC monitor is that it is limited to 30Hz. But that limitation is purely due to the input controller, not the panel. Any manufacturer could create a viable 4K monitor by using this same panel with a DisplayPort 1.2 input controller, and Asus and Planar have already announced them. Once the Korean vendors jump on this bandwagon, prices should fall to near $500 fairly quickly. I suspect it will take less than a year.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Glad to see the lower prices. However, I just bought dual 25x14 last year. I'll wait until the prices go down to <$500 level. Come on Koreans, go go go...!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I don't see how this makes 4k gaming penetration a game changer for the time being. They will get cheaper, but by the time they are in reach of your average flagship buyer, the 28nm will be a just a memory.

Your mid-range segment will have no use for them gaming wise.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Damn, this is so exciting I can hardly contain myself! Do you remember those threads that everyone was speculating about "the future of 4K gaming" or some such? We all talked about it like it was 5 years away, lol. I don't think anyone thought that a 28-30", sub $1k panel @ 60hz would be available so soon. The one in this thread is 60hz capable. That's pretty damn good for such an early panel.
This might sound insane of me, but I'd almost prefer a 120hz TN variant. Not like we'll be gaming at 100+ FPS any time soon at that res, but still. I would really like to try a game on one of these panels to see how it looks with such a high pixel density. Might only be worth it if the game is designed with highly detailed textures and geometry. I'd like to see it for myself. I'd expect to find them displayed in some store at some point with a game being demonstrated.

EDIT: Also, I can't ignore the GPU power needed. It would suck to always be behind in the performance department due to such a high res. Also, playing at low or medium settings would ruin the whole idea of such a display.

Last edited:

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
I don't see how this makes 4k gaming penetration a game changer for the time being. They will get cheaper, but by the time they are in reach of your average flagship buyer, the 28nm will be a just a memory.

Your mid-range segment will have no use for them gaming wise.

It's not really a stretch to assume that someone who pays ~$1000 for a SLI/XF pair of high-end video cards would also be willing to spend $1000 for a high-quality monitor.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not a gamer but I'd like to have 4k just to get rid of pixels and make text crystal clear. Actually I'm looking forward more to 4k on my desktop rather than my home theater for two big reasons. First, I don't sit close enough to my home theater display to actually discern individual pixels. And second, the actual resolution of what I'm seeing on the home theater (if it's not computer generated) is limited by the camera optics, and even more so the lighting and focus. Really well done 1080p on displays up to around 60 or 70 inches can look fantastic and hard to tell from 4k.

It's computer generated images, like games, and text, when you are sitting very close to the display where I see the biggest benefits to 4k. Of course eventually it'll just be 4k everywhere as manufacturing ramps up and economies of scale come into play.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010

Still worthless for the most part due to performance outside of SLI/CF....So yeah, still not affordable enough to really matter.

The next generation of GPU's will likely be different.

It's not really a stretch to assume that someone who pays ~$1000 for a SLI/XF pair of high-end video cards would also be willing to spend $1000 for a high-quality monitor.
Yes, and the number of people are literally in the millions....

/not

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Anyone who has ever made the statement that technology will come to a halt has always, without exception, been wrong. People said that 480p DVDs were "good enough". 720p was "good enough" Were they ever correct? Hell no. Technology doesn't come to a stand still and anyone who says it will, is wrong. 4k will be the standard in the future once prices come down - and make no mistake, they will come down because it is a uHDTV standard. It won't be this year. It could be 2-3 years down the road, but it will happen, period.

As far as this screen goes, 1000$ is pretty good considering that 1600p monitors at 30 inches are roughly in that same price range - and while it isn't the most common resolution, there are several folks running 1600p including myself. I gotta say, a 999$ 4k panel at 28 inches is very tempting, and i'm sure others feel this way as well. Not everyone plays at the lowest common denominator 1080p resolution, so it's great that these panels are rapidly entering territory of being viable purchases. It will only get BETTER from here.

Nobody is saying that millions of people will use these screens. But the PC is desirable for gaming because it is scalable - if you want lowest common denominator 1080p resolution? You can do that. But there are also a lot of people who enjoy 1440p, 1600p as well - and this 999$ 4k screen will be in the correct price range for THESE people to become a viable purchase, whereas the 3500$ 4k screens were not a consideration.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Nobody is saying that millions of people will use these screens. But the PC is desirable for gaming because it is scalable - if you want lowest common denominator 1080p resolution? You can do that. But there are also a lot of people who enjoy 1440p, 1600p as well - and this 999$ 4k screen will be in the correct price range for THESE people to become a viable purchase, whereas the 3500$ 4k screens were not a consideration.

I'm not saying this monitor is worthless and 4k is useless....I'm saying that trying to hype this generation of GPU as 4K capable is worthless/useless.

Big difference.

The fact that this monitor is launching at this price is a good thing, and absolutely no doubt as GPU's become more capable of delivering 60fps on High/Ultra detail will make adoption even faster. Saying 4K will never be adopted would be ignorant.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I'm not saying this monitor is worthless and 4k is useless....I'm saying that trying to hype this generation of GPU as 4K capable is worthless/useless.

Big difference.

The fact that this monitor is launching at this price is a good thing, and absolutely no doubt as GPU's become more capable of delivering 60fps on High/Ultra detail will make adoption even faster. Saying 4K will never be adopted would be ignorant.

While I agree about this generation of GPUs not being capable of 4K (even my SLI Titans can't run it well), these monitors can be ran at 1080P. It may not be ideal for 28'' or larger, but if 4K isn't running well then 1080P can be used instead.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Big difference.

Well, that's true, but the same was also applicable to 1600p screens which have been available for years. 1600p screens never really depreciated in price because they were low volume screens designed for content creation, but I do see 4k rapidly depreciating over the next couple of years.

It will take GPUs some time to catch up, but then again 4k won't be mainstream for another 2 years or so (probably) anyway. The early adopters won't mind plunking down a little extra cash for SLI in in the meantime to make it a workable gaming experience. ;)

My prediction is that in 2 years, 4k will rapidly become the norm in the living room. I could be wrong, but judging on past HDTV standards I could see this being the case. Besides which, profit margins on existing 1080p HDTVs is slim to none and panel manufacturers are eager to push the next big time. 4k will be it, but it will take a couple of years to hit prime time in terms of pricing.