Drug test at possible employer - just tell them I've smoked pot before?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 15, 2003
Congrats on following through with the docs. Looks like it is really helping.

Thanks! Yeah, it's life changing - you know that feeling you get in your arms when you workout the next day, the afterglow? I feel that in my chest/heart, as if my heart was overworking for years.. Almost justifies me walking out of my last job, chain smoking and expensive and heart killing deli lunches could have killed me in 10 years

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
that is how i felt when i finally got on advair for my asthma. i had been using my fast act relief inhaler for like 2 decades, like 3x a day or more sometimes, and then i finally tried advair one day at the doctors.

i hadn't been able to breathe as well as i did 15 minutes after taking that, in probably 10+ years. it was incredible and felt life changing. since that day (which was like 6-7 years ago) i have used my inhaler probably 2-3 times. i haven't had one in years.

Mar 15, 2003
that is how i felt when i finally got on advair for my asthma. i had been using my fast act relief inhaler for like 2 decades, like 3x a day or more sometimes, and then i finally tried advair one day at the doctors.

i hadn't been able to breathe as well as i did 15 minutes after taking that, in probably 10+ years. it was incredible and felt life changing. since that day (which was like 6-7 years ago) i have used my inhaler probably 2-3 times. i haven't had one in years.

Congrats! Just dealing with personal shit takes courage. I was so petrified of being judged (honestly have stayed away from cardiologists because of my man boobs and their history of ragging on me for my fat ass and smoking) that I was putting my life at risk. Luckily I found someone competent, but it did take some doc-jumping. And cigarettes are the dumbest things ever. Never settle for a subpar doc and do your research!

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
**weird update 03/2016**

So I canceled that interview, overbearing HR aside I didn't want to deal with the drive. Something judgy and republican was said in the thread about 'self medicating' with pot, and how I should be seeking professional advice instead of smoking pot. I saw the logic in that so scheduled an appointment with a shrink and was completely honest with her, telling her about my pot use and former drinking habit. I explained how I was always tired physically while my mind was always doing the opposite, and that I stopped ADHD treatment in the past because adderall made me an angrier, more efficient jerk and went as far as being honest about sexual side effects. She was incredible, and addressed my concerns with a mellow, sexual disfunction free blend of low milligram anti-anxiety and adhd meds that don't tend to cause agitation/aggression. She also didn't judge my pot use, and immedietly said I was self medicating for anxiety and said I'd be over the need in weeks. Class friggin act.

She also suggested that I immediately see a cardiologist, and I broke tradition and actually followed through. It was a good decision because my resting bpm was intense and my blood pressure out of whack. Explains the headaches I smoked pot to get rid of. He put me on a very mild dose of blood pressure control meds and the headaches are gone and the fast heart beat mellowing out.

I also have not craved a cigarette and smoke less pot, I'm weening myself but am in no rush to quit cold turkey, I believe it has it's uses and shouldn't be vilified. . I need to get back to the workforce so it doesn't fit, but I may just end up a stoner when I retire . I'm also not constantly chasing energy through snickers, I've lost 6 pounds so far. I am tired, but my heart's pumping at a gentler pace so I think I have to just get used to the pace and that it's not really exhaustion, and it can take up to 6 weeks for me to feel the full benefits.

PSA - go to the doctors. I feel like an idiot for not going sooner.

pluggins away on the job search, but I'm a hell of a lot less stressed out

:thumbsup:

It took awhile to sort things out myself, but getting on a combo of Wellbutrin and Zoloft has been freaking awesome for me. As you said, it takes a little while for the full effects to be noticeable, might be hard to notice but after a few months it'll just kind of click and you'll realize how much improvement you've had.

Glad you're giving yourself the attention and have received good treatment. Marijuana isn't evil, not in the least, but it should be fun or a supplemental treatment for various physical health concerns, but mental health always requires something else.

Curious if they got you on Wellbutrin? That can be useful for some types of ADHD/ADD, and also is good for anxiety and depression. Primarily the reason I was put on it, as a combo to address a few concerns. The Zoloft then was added later to give it an additional kick. Took a little to figure out the right doses for each, but I feel great. Sometimes perhaps a little apathy but there are many possible causes, nutrition is still a major factor in overall wellbeing as well as other activities, so that is what I try to focus on.

But also Wellbutrin (bupropion branded as Zyban, or generic bupropion) is prescribed to some for smoking cessation, so if that's what you are on, that could very well explain the decrease in craving.

I definitely notice I get less out of nicotine than I used too. A large cigar would have me feeling damn good, but now it's just "good."

Congrats on getting things in your life figured out. Reaching out for help can be the most challenging thing a man may face, but once you get that ball rolling, you realize how beneficial it is to simply pay attention and take care of yourself. It's a wonderful feeling.

Mar 15, 2003
:thumbsup:

It took awhile to sort things out myself, but getting on a combo of Wellbutrin and Zoloft has been freaking awesome for me. As you said, it takes a little while for the full effects to be noticeable, might be hard to notice but after a few months it'll just kind of click and you'll realize how much improvement you've had.

Glad you're giving yourself the attention and have received good treatment. Marijuana isn't evil, not in the least, but it should be fun or a supplemental treatment for various physical health concerns, but mental health always requires something else.

Curious if they got you on Wellbutrin? That can be useful for some types of ADHD/ADD, and also is good for anxiety and depression. Primarily the reason I was put on it, as a combo to address a few concerns. The Zoloft then was added later to give it an additional kick. Took a little to figure out the right doses for each, but I feel great. Sometimes perhaps a little apathy but there are many possible causes, nutrition is still a major factor in overall wellbeing as well as other activities, so that is what I try to focus on.

But also Wellbutrin (bupropion branded as Zyban, or generic bupropion) is prescribed to some for smoking cessation, so if that's what you are on, that could very well explain the decrease in craving.

I definitely notice I get less out of nicotine than I used too. A large cigar would have me feeling damn good, but now it's just "good."

Congrats on getting things in your life figured out. Reaching out for help can be the most challenging thing a man may face, but once you get that ball rolling, you realize how beneficial it is to simply pay attention and take care of yourself. It's a wonderful feeling.

Quick reply since I'm in a rush, but thanks for the thoughtful reply!

I'm now on wellbutrin, vyvanse, and buspar and the combo seems to be giving me such a great sense of calm so far, look forward to weeks from now! I simply don't crave cigs anymore, it's not even on my mind and seeing someone smoke triggers nothing. It's a good feeling! I think I may need more vyvanse because my mind is still all over the place (a vast improvement, but instead of work I've been focusing on fixing my home theater - it's a weird focus), but it could just be that it still takes more time to work. The great thing is that the crash is much less severe, and my wife says I'm goofy and calm vs. intense and kinda a dick like on adderall. Buspar REALLY helps with whatever minor crashing remains, never heard of it but so far so good.

I was on adderall and lexapro for years and was pissed off all the time and couldn't get it up - ended 3 relationships and my shrink back then couldn't care less ("eh, maybe you shouldn't even be dating?"). my new shrink really listens so I look forward to trial and erroring it with her (and actually going to future appointments, insurance covering mental health ftw).

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

I'm now on wellbutrin, vyvanse, and buspar and the combo seems to be giving me such a great sense of calm so far, look forward to weeks from now! I simply don't crave cigs anymore, it's not even on my mind and seeing someone smoke triggers nothing. It's a good feeling! I think I may need more vyvanse because my mind is still all over the place (a vast improvement, but instead of work I've been focusing on fixing my home theater - it's a weird focus), but it could just be that it still takes more time to work. The great thing is that the crash is much less severe, and my wife says I'm goofy and calm vs. intense and kinda a dick like on adderall. Buspar REALLY helps with whatever minor crashing remains, never heard of it but so far so good.

I was on adderall and lexapro for years and was pissed off all the time and couldn't get it up - ended 3 relationships and my shrink back then couldn't care less ("eh, maybe you shouldn't even be dating?"). my new shrink really listens so I look forward to trial and erroring it with her (and actually going to future appointments, insurance covering mental health ftw).

Yeah, you can feel the immediate effects of something like Vyvanse, as it's essentially a pro-drug of dextroamphetamine, which is one of the enantiomers of amphetamine found in Adderall (75% iirc), but Adderall also has the right-handed enantiomer levoamphetamine. Quite a few people report better response to the pure dextroamphetamine in Vyvanse, reporting that the other enantiomer tends to cause the worse side effects, and it isn't even really active in the brain for the desired effects anyway IIRC.

But at the same time, continued use does actually slowly shape the neurological pathways and can produce long-term benefits that stack up over time.

I've considered getting a different psych, am not a fan of the current one and I never really agreed with his diagnosis, but the resulting prescriptions have been a pretty good approach, and not needing pure stimulants is desirable.

Interesting that they are doing wellbutrin and vyvanse combined, as wellbutrin can be pretty beneficial on its on for both anxiety and attention. But it's definitely no replacement for a proper stimulant.

Also, something to consider: be very careful with alcohol and wellbutrin. I had a few unfortunate blackouts from not even that much alcohol. Once you body adjusts to the dosage you can better handle your intake, but during the month or two the body is adjusting to a change in dosage, it will definitely impact your tolerance. It may kill your tolerance and get you to black out way earlier than you've ever experienced (like me), or it may, as I've heard about, increase your tolerance making it easier to drink more. But be warned that doing so is a terrible idea, period. It is best to keep alcohol use low, and I don't follow that well but I do try to limit myself when out with friends.

The biggest concern with alcohol isn't the tolerance change, but the risk of seizure. I think I had one during a blackout if recounted experiences are to be believed, and it's possible I had one during another blackout that landed me in a spot of trouble. And keep in mind that a seizure is not necessarily grand mal with the flopping, it could be a minor one that simply induces a behavior change for a short period of time, or some other symptoms. Do yourself a favor and look up partial and generalized seizures (the latter represented by grand mal and petit mal), as it's the partials that are really interesting. If you have any loved ones you see often, might encourage them to do that research too so they might help spot anything.

I don't want to scare you, not at all, as bupropion is wonderful, but it's something to be aware of, especially if can't give up alcohol entirely. Just take it easier and everything should be fine, I haven't noticed anything other than questioning what occurred during black outs. Avoid those and you're in great shape!

Also...
Keep in mind that attention-improving drugs aren't a miracle cure, they're a tool. You'll need to work on the self-discipline to really help get it under control, and you'll find it should be easier to do that. No drug can fix an inability to correctly prioritize, but if you can get that addressed, everything else falls in line.
Best of luck! And if you ever want to chat you can PM me if you don't feel like posting everything to the world.

monstarvb1

Mar 9, 2016
“Employers understand that it doesn’t mean something. Anyone WHO smokes pot can simply stop for many days."
True of most drugs; not true of pot. The actually dangerous stuff, the items you'd very be disturbed regarding, that stuff clears call at some of days. consciousness-altering drug will linger in your system for as long as a month. each assaulter is aware of that they're those WHO find yourself being completely targeted by drug testing. I've had friends WHO quit smoking weed and switched to controlled substance or coke as a result of they were longing for work and frightened of testing positive in a very drug screen. THC urine drug test, also known as piss test, marijuana, pot or weed test, is the most common type of drug testing. Read more: http://syntheticurineworks.blogspot.com/2014/01/does-synthetic-urine-work-with-drug.html

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
“Employers understand that it doesn’t mean something. Anyone WHO smokes pot can simply stop for many days."

True of most drugs; not true of pot. The actually dangerous stuff, the items you'd very be disturbed regarding, that stuff clears call at some of days. consciousness-altering drug will linger in your system for as long as a month. each assaulter is aware of that they're those WHO find yourself being completely targeted by drug testing. I've had friends WHO quit smoking weed and switched to controlled substance or coke as a result of they were longing for work and frightened of testing positive in a very drug screen.

4Liu2We.gif

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Well yeah my opinion is that its virtually impossible to be in a relationship on SSRI style antidepressants and have it actually work out. \

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Well yeah my opinion is that its virtually impossible to be in a relationship on SSRI style antidepressants and have it actually work out. They basically remove the emotional part of you that is human. Walking, talking repository of your life experiences, check. Actual clear thinking human with emotions, not so much. The memory & logic is always in charge. There is no presence of mind & emotion in the here and now. Which to people who still have emotions, makes people who take SSRIs seem like callous jerks who, through emotional ignorance, push other people around a bit because they are unable to pick up on social cues and the emotions of others very well (and by very well I mean not at all).

Wellbutrin will make you talk about nothing all day. Really not too bad, the people on wellbutrin. Except they will talk at inappropriate times.

Its about as predictable as a long time pot users having a hard time finding the right words but increasing creativity or nicotine making someone more extroverted.

I guess I can't really add to the argument one way or the other, as I haven't been in a relationship in a few years, but knowing myself, an SSRI isn't necessarily the devil it's cracked up to be. Then again, there are two critical factors: which chemical, and what dosage.

Zoloft alone might have problems for some people, but in combination with Wellbutrin, it certainly hasn't given me any side effects that would impact relationships. And I'd argue that the overall effects of the combo would be far more beneficial to a good relationship than foregoing treatment.

I'll add that causative symptoms or those from treatment are unlikely to be the cause of my current relationship status. I have not been even attempting to pursue anything unless it falls in my lap, because I would much rather get things better worked out in my life before I take on that kind of financial burden. I'm on track toward getting things in great shape, and I'd rather keep it that way. I've been eyeing certain scenarios, and I'm not against a relationship, but it's definitely not on my priority list. Given certain factors, like turning 30 in two years, I'll likely be in an almost "crash mode" state of mind, but I don't even pretend to worry about that right now. I need less stress, not more, and I think I'll be a more attractive partner in the end if I keep that stress factor lowered and have things in my life worked out and have a good career path. I definitely believe in having all of that figured out before cruising the scene as opposed to trying to figure things out after the fact. If I ever get to the children stage, having my life figured out will make everything far less stressful, and that is definitely a big plus in my book.

Certain factors may have played a limiting factor at an earlier point, and that may play a role in my current state of mind, but honestly, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Back then? Yeah I would have given anything to have a "normal life" and probably have a kid by now like most others in my age group. But fuck it, I'm glad it didn't work out like that. I can only imagine having a bad luck type situation where, oops, you're having a kid... oh wait, haha nevermind, you're having four kids! I have a co-worker like that, who had one kid and then a few years later, surprise, you got four in the oven! That's a financial wallop, and that makes it all the more difficult to get things on track if they weren't already. All the more reason to have your life squared away before even thinking about settling down.

But for the other folks like the OP, where you have already settled down, it's definitely never too late to figure things out and get your life in order. Beyond potential partners and kids, doing so will make your life that much better, likely extending your lifespan for starters, and potentially leading to a more rewarding career, which in of itself can lead to a wealth of possibilities.

Having your head screwed on straight can be the most eye-opening thing in the world. I'll never again pass judgment on seeking help, and cannot be more glad that I did when I had. I actually really wish I had followed through much earlier, but I'll take anything over nothing.

edit:

When I originally quoted you, what you had wrote was much shorter. Below is to respond to that which is beyond the first sentence:

I will add, in response to the quote that never was... I do not agree, not entirely at least. SSRIs are not responsible for the behavior you suggest. Instead, that is a combo of the original mentality of the individual in question, combined with the specific drug and dosage prescribed. Psychiatry is not a perfect science, like any other science. The brain and consciousness is a very complicated study, and what works for one in any given situation, even if superficially similar, is not necessarily the answer for others. Please keep that in mind before trying to label everyone on any particular class of medicine.

I'll relate that, as for myself, I haven't changed in my approach to conversations. If anything, I'm simply more bold in my opinions, putting less emphasis on how others may perceive myself or my opinions. But honestly, I haven't changed a bit in that regard. I've held the same beliefs, conveyed them in the same manner, but it was more rare for me to do so, the anxiety and desire for acceptance outweighing other responses.
I've not lost touch of social queues, and let things go when I feel it's reached a certain point, but I have strongly held beliefs that I often wish to share. I take no pleasure in admitting that I've made people cry, and that was before treatment. But I'll also add that I've never been one to be ignorant of others emotional states. If anything, I can be very empathetic. I care, deeply. And sometimes, I may care too deeply, especially when it comes to matters of politics and religion. I have my beliefs, have studied extensively on those subjects, and wish to relay what I've learned and try to shape the future as best I can, even if it seems futile. If anything, I care too much. :\

But I acknowledge that perhaps my behavior is or is not what you decry, for there are definitely those who take things too far and definitely miss out on social queues. But in reality, that's extending symptoms past the realm of this topic, because those often reach into far more troubling states of mental health. And yes, sometimes what is meant to be a treatment of one disease creates symptoms of something far worse, but as I said, that is the challenge with psychiatry and the prescription of chemicals that so boldly alter the balances of our neurotransmitters. Small changes can have profound impacts, so psychiatric medicine should not be taken with disregard. They are powerful and potentially life-altering tools, and should be regarded as such.

Last edited:

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Full disclosure - yes. I self medicate for social anxiety disorder (I used to take lexapro, which made me gain 50 pounds and made peeing difficult, bad scene) but, beyond justifications, I enjoy it (I don't drink, quit nicotine and have been dieting - pot is literally my only vice)

Since I smoked as recently as last week I'm fairly certain I'll fail. I'm not on any form of public assistance (including unemployment) so calm down republicans :) I'm mostly thinking disclosure would benefit the employer not me - why waste time if they have a zero-tolerance policy? My wife's opinion is to see how things go and to disclose at the time of the test, not before

So quit smoking; then it will not be a worry.

Best of luck in your job search. :)

Mar 15, 2003
Well yeah my opinion is that its virtually impossible to be in a relationship on SSRI style antidepressants and have it actually work out. \

FYI, wellbutrin= no sexual side effects so far, and the smoking cessation is awesome - have not smoked a cig, at all, since starting wb

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wonder if he ever found a job that does not do drug testing.

Glad they don't do that crap here in Canada. I don't do weed but I should have every right to do so on my own time as long as I don't show up high to work. Same with drinking or any activity I do on my own time.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Wonder if he ever found a job that does not do drug testing.

Glad they don't do that crap here in Canada. I don't do weed but I should have every right to do so on my own time as long as I don't show up high to work. Same with drinking or any activity I do on my own time.
If they had a random test that showed any intoxicant AT THE TIME one is at work then I'd have no problem with it, ther fact the testing is picking up THC metabolites days or even weeks after use is a frigging joke.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
If they had a random test that showed any intoxicant AT THE TIME one is at work then I'd have no problem with it, ther fact the testing is picking up THC metabolites days or even weeks after use is a frigging joke.

Smartly, my own experiences, as well as some others I've known in different industries, it seems the trend may be toward fewer random tests. There are some that do more or less use it in a way that amounts of a purity test (and for some healthcare institutions in Ohio [at least] this even includes a full ban on nicotine consumption, with active random testing), but other random places keep it in reserve for employee accidents or new hire screening, if used at all. I haven't been tested to start employment in some time now (having had a few different jobs in the IT world in the past 5+ years).

I say smartly because it really needs to be strictly about on-the-job issues, not testing against what people may use on their own personal time. But tests may still suck when, say you are a forklift operator and have an on-the-job accident, they test you, and it may be that they ignore THC/metabolites but they probably don't, which sucks because that doesn't study strictly on-the-job use. And as we've learned, most drugs used outside of work aren't really impacted quality of job performance. There's a lot of stereotypes that many must either have other questionable judgments/decisions or perhaps even use on the job, and while true for some, it's hardly the reality/expectation in most walks of life. Granted, like in some past job experiences, they might be getting high while working at a car wash or other low-paid labor, but professional jobs? It's such a waste of employer resources because testing not only costs the company money but also costs more due to loss in labor/performance if done on the clock as if typical.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I would get on board with this if it was mandatory for politicians, police, and the judiciary.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Smartly, my own experiences, as well as some others I've known in different industries, it seems the trend may be toward fewer random tests. There are some that do more or less use it in a way that amounts of a purity test (and for some healthcare institutions in Ohio [at least] this even includes a full ban on nicotine consumption, with active random testing), but other random places keep it in reserve for employee accidents or new hire screening, if used at all. I haven't been tested to start employment in some time now (having had a few different jobs in the IT world in the past 5+ years).

I say smartly because it really needs to be strictly about on-the-job issues, not testing against what people may use on their own personal time. But tests may still suck when, say you are a forklift operator and have an on-the-job accident, they test you, and it may be that they ignore THC/metabolites but they probably don't, which sucks because that doesn't study strictly on-the-job use. And as we've learned, most drugs used outside of work aren't really impacted quality of job performance. There's a lot of stereotypes that many must either have other questionable judgments/decisions or perhaps even use on the job, and while true for some, it's hardly the reality/expectation in most walks of life. Granted, like in some past job experiences, they might be getting high while working at a car wash or other low-paid labor, but professional jobs? It's such a waste of employer resources because testing not only costs the company money but also costs more due to loss in labor/performance if done on the clock as if typical.
All urine test's are testing for metabolites but THC is fat-soluble so the metabolites get released very slowly. Most drug classes, (opioids, amphetamine's) are water soluble so you will only test positive 2-3 days max after use. testing for nicotine is laughable, yes, smoking is bad for you, but so is junk food, so is a sedentary lifestyle and so is drinking (in excess). Where does that rabbit-hole end?.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
In today's world, drug tests are common for damn near every job. 16 year old grandson had to take a drug test for a stupid bag boy job at a grocery store......

Knowing this, :rolleyes: smokes weed

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They do some drug testing in Canada too, but maybe that's just American companies?

I suppose it all goes back to our puritan origins. Everybody does (something evil) but nobody is allowed to admit it.

TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) started testing a few years back. But that is about public safety so I have no issues with it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I had to piss test for decades. Pre-hire tests, post-accident tests, (even when I wasn't actually involved, just someone on my crew) since I had a Class A license, I was always subject to random DOT testing, and working on a barge in a navigable waterway...at ant time, a Coast Guard cutter could pull up, drop a skiff with a crew to test everyone on the barge.

Most of the time, drug testing is mandated by the company's work comp insurance carrier for a lower rate.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've quit weed through inertia - i moved from the states back to europe and we simply didnt have anything smokable that could compete with US weed. i enjoyed being weed free for a while, then the negative effects started coming in: bad or even nonexistent sleep, anxiety issues, alcohol use, weight gain, compulsive behaviour, and before you think these are side effects of drug use, they are clearly side effects of work - lacking that one moment in your life when you say fuck it, this is ME time, it will get to you.
Now, we dont have drug testing for work, here in EU; mostly we dont believe this to be a necessity, and neither do i, unless you work in a field which makes it obvioulsy necessary, such as working with drugs, or being in charge of dangerous equipment. And honestly these days i wish i could get back into smoking, as it's absolutely obvious from the medical literature that weed has amazing health benefits - with some caveats.