Drug test at possible employer - just tell them I've smoked pot before?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
if you test positive on a pre-employment drug test it will show up in a background check for years and you will be Fk'd out of jobs for a long time.

this is false, the only case where it may be true is if you apply at the SAME company in the future.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I once met a person that owns a business where they make kitchen cabinets. He told me that he tries to hire people that he thinks do drugs. If the employee happens to cut off a finger and is found to have drugs in his system, the employer does not have to pay the medical bill and his workmans comp insurance will not rise.

Mar 15, 2003
Not all military and government people are like that, but Marines tend to take the cake.
Source: me and buddies I know. ;)

Sorry to stereotype, just every relative of mine (sampling size of 5 isn't reliable) goes into armed services disenfranchised and undisciplined indian born americans (from rock drummers to annoying hip hop talkers), and come out really uptight country listening republicans who are really into rules. Even when they were stationed in blue states, they come out red. One has a country accent! He lived in india until he was 12 then NYC, and has a by way of the military country accent. It's super weird.

My marine cousin was the worst, he gets into anti-immigration rants (legal or otherwise) when he was born in india and tells people if they don't agree with his rightwing politics they shouldn't be able to live here, because they're unamerican for dissenting (while this lefty believes america was defined and built by dissent, and I love Her for it). Not to threadjack or inflame anyone, but man they seem more driven by rules than ethics, intelligence, and compassion. The last I saw of him was when I kicked him out of the car for making a cute foreign born girl cry for disagreeing with him (he went full beast mode, finger pointing, heavy breathing, shouting while arms distance from her in a car, 'how dare you criticize, you're not from here! go back to germany!').. It was mortifying, hypocritical, and the lack of patience for differing ideas worthy of a boot out of my car and a disowning.

Call me biased, but the lack of flexibility and stubbornness to hear other's point of view makes military men not worth working for in the private sector to me - they're too rigid. I'm talking 'flaming military,' meaning they wear a lot of americana flair, talk in military jargon, and really let a job they had years ago define the rest of their existence.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If another employer found out your result you could sue the shit out of them.
Isn't it cute when they're naive? Let's see... which of these do you think is in the call/letter from HR that says you didn't get the job:
"Hello, we regret to inform you that you did not get the position you were interviewing for. We had a more qualified candidate that better fit the position."
or
"Hello, we regret to inform you that you did not get the position you were interviewing for, because one of the guys in HR has a friend at a company you applied to last year who told us that you failed a drug test."

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
you guys need to smarten on on this..drug / alcohol testing for pre employment / random / post accident is not going away. The Insurance Industry and BigGov. are going to expand this and more jobs are now classified "safety sensitive" which the courts recognize and approved the legal language to expand testing. Good luck with the dope.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
you guys need to smarten on on this..drug / alcohol testing for pre employment / random / post accident is not going away. The Insurance Industry and BigGov. are going to expand this and more jobs are now classified "safety sensitive" which the courts recognize and approved the legal language to expand testing. Good luck with the dope.

You could also say that when it's legalised that these tests will actually have to show impairment and not that the substance has been in your system sometime in the last 4-5 weeks.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Wtf

You know you smoke weed, bite the bullet and get some fake pee. Why is there even a thread on this.

Mar 15, 2003
Wtf

You know you smoke weed, bite the bullet and get some fake pee. Why is there even a thread on this.

This is a dumb question - obviously you'll be disqualified for the job if found out, but can there be criminal ramifications for cheating on a drug test? Is that fraud?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
FWIW, my uncle is the general manager over two warehouses for a large sporting goods company. Failing a drug test is an automatic firing and they would never hire someone that failed the test. Maybe your employer is more lax, but I highly doubt it. A lot of it has to do with insurance.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
You could also say that when it's legalised that these tests will actually have to show impairment and not that the substance has been in your system sometime in the last 4-5 weeks.

..if the employer chooses to engage in zero tolerance drug / alcohol testing..and that has been ongoing and in progress for years..you will get bounced. Alcohol is legal and is included in zero tolerance testing.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Call me biased, but the lack of flexibility and stubbornness to hear other's point of view makes military men not worth working for in the private sector to me - they're too rigid. I'm talking 'flaming military,' meaning they wear a lot of americana flair, talk in military jargon, and really let a job they had years ago define the rest of their existence.
I do find you biased. I've been around the military for a long time and the ratio of ignorant red neck rigid thinkers is exactly the same as the population in general. The difference is that it's more acceptable to voice those ideas than in 'polite' society. I've just as many 'average' citizens defined by their HS glory days or Frat rats. I too am biased against loud mouthed idiots bombarding you with political or religious opinions but, the military doesn't have a corner on that market.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
..if the employer chooses to engage in zero tolerance drug / alcohol testing..and that has been ongoing and in progress for years..you will get bounced. Alcohol is legal and is included in zero tolerance testing.

Happens with Nicotine too. If it is in your system at all, zero-tolerance employers will not hire you, or will fire you. Some employers allowed those employed who use nicotine to be grandfathered in without that requirement, but they enforce it for all new hires, and those caught later on who weren't grandfathered are given the boot.

The dominant health system in our region is one of a handful of strict no-nicotine policies. A perfectly legal vice is grounds enough to not hire you these days. Marijuana won't be tested by some employers once it is made legal, but others will maintain zero-tolerance stances. For those that will accept hiring those who smoke, they will likely employ some kind of test to determine if they have been using recently, on the job.

That will be a difficult time, however, as blood testing is typically what they use to determine the likelihood of intoxication, but it is not a guarantee to represent the past few hours. It can show last's night smoke session, for example. I think they have testing levels to try to alleviate that, but it varies per person and could conceivably result in a false positive for "are you high right now?" tests.
I think a few groups have created prototypes for THC breathalyzers, which is a very interest concept that I hope makes it to market and is found to be accurate. I am all for accurate testing to enforce sobriety standards for driving and workplaces, just so long as they are indeed accurate for the time-frames they are measuring. Determining the right and fair cutoffs will be just as important.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I do find you biased. I've been around the military for a long time and the ratio of ignorant red neck rigid thinkers is exactly the same as the population in general. The difference is that it's more acceptable to voice those ideas than in 'polite' society. I've just as many 'average' citizens defined by their HS glory days or Frat rats. I too am biased against loud mouthed idiots bombarding you with political or religious opinions but, the military doesn't have a corner on that market.

:thumbsup:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
You know what? I never realized that. Makes total sense.

But still fascist! :colbert:

Yup, we were sold out for a discount. Even worse if your involved in a workplace injury you automatically get drug-tested ( at least here in FL) and if comes back positive you lose any right to medical care for the injury and you lose your job as well.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

That's not really what i meant, i'm all for bouncing people that are inebriated at work, if they held alcohol to the same standards then if you had a drink 3 weeks ago and it showed up on a piss test you would be ok with them firing the person?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
That's not really what i meant, i'm all for bouncing people that are inebriated at work, if they held alcohol to the same standards then if you had a drink 3 weeks ago and it showed up on a piss test you would be ok with them firing the person?

..go take a "zero tolerance" drug education class and find out what's on going and in progress. The courts up to and including the Supreme Court have hammered out drug / alcohol testing language and all the Unions including SEIU have signed off on it. The employer is holding all the cards. Mass Gas Spectrometer Testing has become wide spread and is considered forensic (court acceptable) and cheap. They recently (courts) have hammered out PED (personal electronic device) liability language that employers will be enforcing as well. Doesn't matter if you or I agree / disagree..all this criteria is out there. We have to deal with it.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Drinking alcohol isn't illegal. I'm not an expert, but I would think if you can show you have a medical marijuana card then they couldn't fire you as long as you are using it as prescribed. If an employer can show you are engaging in any illegal activity then they can fire you.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Drinking alcohol isn't illegal. I'm not an expert, but I would think if you can show you have a medical marijuana card then they couldn't fire you as long as you are using it as prescribed. If an employer can show you are engaging in any illegal activity then they can fire you.

That is incorrect. Courts have held up repeatedly that MMJ does not supersede the requirements of a drug free workplace.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I've been around the military for a long time and the ratio of ignorant red neck rigid thinkers is exactly the same as the population in general. The difference is that it's more acceptable to voice those ideas than in 'polite' society.

I buy that in general, but if it is more acceptable to be or act that way then it must be because the military culture is more accepting of or receptive to it. If it is either of those things, then how does it stay that way if the ratio is the same? Again, just speaking generally, I would think ultra-conservative types would be more attracted to that sort of rigidly ordered hierarchical society than some other types of people would.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

Unless you have a card prescribing your race, religion, gender, handicap, or sexual orientation, an employer (in an at-will state) can fire you for anything it wants (unless you have a contract limiting why you can be fired).

You can be fired for smoking pot, for smelling funny, for looking at Ted the wrong way that one time at the urinal, for secretly being from outer space, etc.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Unless you have a card prescribing your race, religion, gender, handicap, or sexual orientation, an employer (in an at-will state) can fire you for anything it wants (unless you have a contract limiting why you can be fired).

You can be fired for smoking pot, for smelling funny, for looking at Ted the wrong way that one time at the urinal, for secretly being from outer space, etc.

..I've known people the were"let go" for flunking random / zero tolerance with legally prescribed methadone and / or marijuana. Zero Tolerance is Zero Tolerance.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I buy that in general, but if it is more acceptable to be or act that way then it must be because the military culture is more accepting of or receptive to it. If it is either of those things, then how does it stay that way if the ratio is the same? Again, just speaking generally, I would think ultra-conservative types would be more attracted to that sort of rigidly ordered hierarchical society than some other types of people would.
It has less to do with political beliefs than it has with being more comfortable with the structure of institutions be it military or cube monkeys. You're right that the culture affects soldiers in the same way corporate America affects office drones but, neither has a proclivity for "ultra conservatism."

Mar 15, 2003
It has less to do with political beliefs than it has with being more comfortable with the structure of institutions be it military or cube monkeys. You're right that the culture affects soldiers in the same way corporate America affects office drones but, neither has a proclivity for "ultra conservatism."

I've never, ever met a military man or woman I'd consider a flaming liberal. Moderates with conservative leanings, sure.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/25/military-no-less-conservative-less-republican-surv/