News Dow bouncing around -1000

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
I work in the collections industry. A (short) recession actually helps us... though I don't want it to happen.
I'm guessing the health care industry will be looking for lots of extra hands in the near future too :(
What makes this so much worse is we are in the middle of tax season and in Canada we are days before the contribution deadline for RRSPs. Plus the fact the Canadian markets all shut down at about 2 yesterday. That and the slide on it's own would be horrible but add in the other factors and I want to cry here...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
At this point I would think a lot of people are taking huge Losses on their original Investment.

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
Turns out, if our institutions (Healthcare related) manage Coronavirus appropriately, the natural course of the disease isn't significantly changed, and the markets show any sign of recovery... Trump's reelection is almost guaranteed?

Maybe it'll trigger a longer term correction which is due anyway, I guess we'll see.
I'm not so sure about how a small recovery helps at this point, we're just too far down.
If everything stops getting worse right now, we will not bounce back to where we were because some disruptions have already occurred and will need time to recover. The best case, as I see it, is the market recovering this week's losses by the end of the year, and I don't think this situation guarantees Trump's reelection by any means.
I also don't think this case is likely at all.

Jan 25, 2011
:D

Isn't this the fun time for you and where you should be making money? Strangely, I'm so calm right now.
I'm quite calm market wise. It's dealing with jumpy clients in panic mode that is the challenge. Walking people off the cliff all day.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm not so sure about how a small recovery helps at this point, we're just too far down.
If everything stops getting worse right now, we will not bounce back to where we were because some disruptions have already occurred and will need time to recover. The best case, as I see it, is the market recovering this week's losses by the end of the year, and I don't think this situation guarantees Trump's reelection by any means.
I also don't think this case is likely at all.

It takes a lot longer to blow a bubble than to pop it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm quite calm market wise. It's dealing with jumpy clients in panic mode that is the challenge. Walking people off the cliff all day.
So far, the market has knocked a bit of froth off the top. Needs a much deeper drop to get P:E ratios anywhere near historic norms. I say, "Let them jump."

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
GOP got thumped in 2008 because Bush couldn't delay the damage he was doing to the economy long enough to blame it on Democrats. Seems they didn't learn their lesson. Lucky for them Americans have short memories and are fully conditioned to hate Democrats anyway.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
well 6 months ago i put 80% of my 401k in a high interest savings account. When I see a slight non cratering maybe ill throw it all in.

I should say 80% of my contributions. I wasnt THAT smart.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
18k to 12k would be my in. If It keeps dropping like this it wont take long. lol.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Looks like Trump has been handed his first non-reality TV-style crisis, and he's not doing so well.

Reactions: Linux23

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
well 6 months ago i put 80% of my 401k in a high interest savings account. When I see a slight non cratering maybe ill throw it all in.

I should say 80% of my contributions. I wasnt THAT smart.

I had a decent % of portfolio in cash, but did some recent buying.
I guess I could have sold Tuesday and still been in the green and cashed those out, but I hate doing the panic selling. Too easy to get caught in a whipsaw and end up losing money over just doing nothing.

Outside of my retirement accounts, I'm more hesitant to sell as some were short term gains and I didn't want to trigger taxes.

I have a long position in AAPL from the shutdown crash in 2018 I own at $165. Again, could have sold and owed a good amount of taxes as it had doubled... But would hate to hit worse case where I sell, pay a bunch of taxes, then miss the ride back up and end up in a weaker position. IDK.

Contributions mostly directed into cash.

It's bonus time too, so some extra cash on top of normal coming in.

I'll have a good amount of ammo when the smoke clears.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
This would be the part of your job I would hate. Talking down/placating angry and freaked out clients every market downturn.
Nothing is more emotional than money. And no one listens when it's their money involved. I get it. But you have people like us for a reason. If you know better, don't waste our time!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nothing is more emotional than money. And no one listens when it's their money involved. I get it. But you have people like us for a reason. If you know better, don't waste our time!
This is why I only look at my investments every quarter or so. I assume I’ve lost a significant amount of money in the last few days but I have no idea how much. As I’m not looking to access it for at least ten years what it’s doing today is largely irrelevant. It’s a video game score at the moment.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
This is why I only look at my investments every quarter or so. I assume I’ve lost a significant amount of money in the last few days but I have no idea how much. As I’m not looking to access it for at least ten years what it’s doing today is largely irrelevant. It’s a video game score at the moment.

my approach as well (except ~40 years), being only 33

Reactions: DarthKyrie

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Jack Bogle approved!