Doom 3 = disappointment

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just cant belive this, I have to force myself to play through this game. It just doesnt grip me at all!

great engine
less then medicore gameplay

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Right now I just transmitted. So far gamelpay seems to be pretty good. I like it, I no longer take baby steps, no longer take adult steps. I feel more free in the world, maybe that's because it's predictable, but I don't find it predictable, I just wield my weapons better.

The ragdoll physics kind of suck with arms sometimes being in the air still. Sure they are just bugs, but hope they update it to make it better.

syconub

Aug 7, 2004
well, so far from what ive heard, it sounds like i should cancel my reserve for this game...but i dont feel like missing out on a milestone game like doom, that just defines what FPS is all about. And i built a rig just so i could play d3 athon64+3000/pc3200/powerclr128mb. I dont want to see that go to waste.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Too dark as others have said..

The main thing that bothers me is the strobe lights, on all the time, very annoying. If I wanted a 30Hz monitor, i'd bought a AOC or some such crap. aother thing is the unrealistc bullets rehcochet when you shoot things like walls. No sparks, just this lame always black puff of smoke. then fads. I also don't like that some objects can be moved and others can't. Oh well...another $55 down the drain...FC was free with my A64 so I guess I paid $55 for that and well worth it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: CRXican
Yes, good for you, shooting a pistol one handed is difficult. It would also be difficult to keep switching from holding a flashlight with one hand to shooting a pistol with two hands. Nice try though.

Dude I shoot a 12ga John Wayne style... my old lady can shoot a pistol one handed I know this buff marine can. Face it was a HUGE mistake not to have tactical lights or at least a cheap LED headlamp.

twil

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by: KAMAZON
I was very dissapointed too, espcially after building a new system to handle it. Although it is very fluid, but it is just too dark in alot of places. I do like the fact that it did scare teh shite out of me tho.

I would be pissed off too if I had built a new sys to play this mediocre game. Fortunately, the system I built 6 months ago to play Max Payne 2 (worth every penny), can run D3 well.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo

The main thing that bothers me is the strobe lights, on all the time, very annoying. If I wanted a 30Hz monitor, i'd bought a AOC or some such crap. aother thing is the unrealistc bullets rehcochet when you shoot things like walls. No sparks, just this lame always black puff of smoke. then fads. I also don't like that some objects can be moved and others can't. Oh well...another $55 down the drain...FC was free with my A64 so I guess I paid $55 for that and well worth it.

You do realize that not all metals cause a spark when they come into contact with each other, right? If anything I'd say this is more realistic...

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
I just borrowed a copy of this game and I played it for a few hours tonight with some friends. Here are my thoughts:

There was so much hype surrounding this game that there was no way it could have lived up to all the expectations set for it. Yes, the graphics are superb, and even at 640x480, everything looks amazing. Without a doubt, the graphics engine lives up to John Carmack's legendary reputation. Sound effects are also stellar - the hum of the machinery and the screams of base employees really add to the terrifying atmosphere.

I have mixed feelings about the gameplay.

I really like having the PDA and reading the logs & email of others on the Mars base, and I like the UAC video clips. Interactivity with the environment, particularly control panels and computers can be fun. Even the stupid spam and the martianbuddy crate is pretty funny IMO - it makes the Mars base seem like a real place.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much originality to the gameplay. I found myself remarking to my friends that the UAC base and situation seemed a lot like the Black Mesa facility from Half Life, albeit a lot darker and more horrific. And I know I would have felt safer if my marine had Gordon's powered armor suit (who doesn't want a force field, jet pack, and *integrated* flashlight), though again that would have made the game less scary. The crates with codes and the PDA also felt like elements of System Shock 2.

What keeps me going in this game is curiousity - I want to find out more about the twisted doctor and what the psych guy and his bodygaurd are trying to do about him. And I'd like to know how the experiments went wrong and if there is anything I'm supposed to do to fix the situation. Oddly, it is the plot of the game (and Doom has never been known for a good plot, or much of a plot at all, or any plot for that matter) that will see me through to the end.

As for replay value - I'm not so sure. I've never been into multiplayer stuff. I'd probably keep the game on my system as a tech demo to show people what a modern pc is capable of, but once I beat it and my curiousity is satisfied, I don't know if I'd pick it up again.

Abhoth

Nov 13, 2002
Yup... Tweaker it is....

Doom 3 is a wildly fun and interesting game. It has actual atmosphere... it's creepy, scarey and a bit unsettling.

1) If you do not like the game, that is your right. It is then my right to think you just don't get it.
2) Too dark? babies... Maybe it was designed that way for the 'feel' of the game! Some folks complained about certain aspects of UT'04 too... but that's the design of the game. Get over it... babies.

Expectations are what ruin a game, an experience, a marriage. Get a life and over it. The game is what it is, enjoy it and the beauty that it brings.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Abhoth
Yup... Tweaker it is....
2) Too dark? babies... Maybe it was designed that way for the 'feel' of the game! Some folks complained about certain aspects of UT'04 too... but that's the design of the game. Get over it... babies.

Problem is it's unrealistically dark when you see other light sources in the room. It's almost like his pubils fail to dialate as he transitions from light to dark.

Abhoth

Nov 13, 2002
I have a quality monitor that also has a little button handy that switches to any one of 3 brightness modes. Very handy and it doesn't go overboard with it so no loss of game atmosphere. And of course there are other ways to bring things up bit in brightness... just don't overdo it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was hoping that it would be like Doom 1 and 2. Instead it's like a cramped up version of Half-life with the lights turned down to zero.

I've played it for about 3 hours and I have to admit. I just don't like it that much. I guess I'll beat it and then probably sell it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I have a quality monitor that also has a little button handy that switches to any one of 3 brightness modes. Very handy and it doesn't go overboard with it so no loss of game atmosphere. And of course there are other ways to bring things up bit in brightness... just don't overdo it.

The game shouldn't require switches on your monitor.

Ryoga

Jun 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Czar
great engine

Seeing as it came from Id, makers of Quake 1, 2, and 3, this is exactly what I expected.

The game all about eye candy and atmosphere. Belongs on the XBox.

Edit: But I like it. :)

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yup... Tweaker it is....

Problem is it's unrealistically dark when you see other light sources in the room. It's almost like his pubils fail to dialate as he transitions from light to dark.

also light bounches so there should be some ambient light in all rooms that actualy have light in them

what I hate is walking past some area that is totaly dark and there is plenty of light next to it and when I use my flashlight it only reveals a wall. The only chance to get a dark spot like that as if there was nothing there to reflect the light, as in a corridor

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ryoga
Originally posted by: Czar
great engine

Seeing as it came from Id, makers of Quake 1, 2, and 3, this is exactly what I expected.

The game all about eye candy and atmosphere. Belongs on the XBox.

Edit: But I like it. :)

true, quake3 for example was nothing but an engine with some gameplay slapped on as a bare minemum.

this time they at least tried and did an ok job at it, I just cant wait to see what other game devs can do with this engine... think about it... alien vs predator :D

Abhoth

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor

So, you've never adjusted your brightness or gamma for any game out there eh? Sounds like you don't believe in the proper use of the hardware you have.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

So, you've never adjusted your brightness or gamma for any game out there eh? Sounds like you don't believe in the proper use of the hardware you have.

Actually it sounds like my hardware runs properly in it's stock configuration so that I can play games the way they're meant to be played.

You don't seem to understand, the game shouldn't require you to mess w/ brightness settings. I sure didn't. The game is supposed to be dark, cranking up brightness\gamma is just cheating yourself out of the experience.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
quote:

You do realize that not all metals cause a spark when they come into contact with each other, right? If anything I'd say this is more realistic...
I know the shotgun ricochets, but I don't remember anything else doing that.

Earlier in the day I was working at 1AM. There was this room that had little windows up near the ceiling opposite the doorway and it seemed like a moonless night, so it was dark outside. The hallway that led to the door way of that room was decently lit. I could still see everything in the room, but I know that if it was doom, it would have been pitch black.

also light bounches so there should be some ambient light in all rooms that actualy have light in them

what I hate is walking past some area that is totaly dark and there is plenty of light next to it and when I use my flashlight it only reveals a wall. The only chance to get a dark spot like that as if there was nothing there to reflect the light, as in a corridor
Yeah, that would have been realistic, but it was discussed here as being too much work of a modern system to handle. But still I agree that they could have made it lighter to compensate for the crappy quality.

I believ in one setting for all, meaning it this is too dark, then your settings were wrong. Thank god I have sRGB in my monitor. Works beautiful.

Feb 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: NeoV
you do get a flashlight, hang in there, don't base your thoughts on the game off of 2 levels...

I have the flashlight, but its RETARDED that I cant use the flashlight and a gun at the same time.

"Retarded" is definitely the word for it.

I haven't played it yet (yeah i know), but aren't you supposed to be some kind of hardcore marine?! Is this what they mean by realistic lighting! Are there any night vision/infra-red goggles in the game? As for this "pick up the health pack to spawn the next monster" ctap i've read about - that is lame.

On the subject of retarded, I did think the fact that the hardcore (ex) marine you play in Far Cry takes damage from falling a few feet or sliding down grass slopes that most couch potato gamers could handle with ease, but that's another story.

If these things are design decisions in the interest of gameplay, what gameplay do these designers have in mind? Does "fun" factor in anywhere?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
anyone notice that when you reload the shotgun there seems to be a flashlight under the barrel?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
So far (4 hrs or so) it is just running from dark room to dark room via dark halls triggering event and spawns. It's not very scary and very predictable. I agree it rips of Half-Life too much, the whole bad experiment down to the two guys you keep bumping into, like the skinny man in HL.

I'm hoping for a better story driven game in HL2 or the STALKER game.

I hope people learn soon that story >> graphics.

I think Far Cry was more balanced, at least the evirnments were cool and varied, even if the story was dumb. I also think FC looks better.

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
there's a script for the flashlight and pistol together, if someone hasn't mentioned it already (kind of doubt it, since it's five pages long)?
game looks good on s-video imo
will buy when it's $19.99 now that there's an anyos patch for win98/me