Donald Trump: dumbest billionaire ever?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Donald Trump: dumbest billionaire ever?

• Yes

• Nope, I agree with his comments

• Maybe, maybe not. There may be n ulterior motive that will make him more money

Results are only viewable after voting.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
N7CnN2H.gif

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
<Psst> Liberals love Trump.

Yea, it sure seems that way...

And the only Latino population that should really be taking offense to his comments is the illegal one... And they can f off. And anyone else that does is really too stupid for me to care. If it means losing the election to Hillary so be it...done with the bullshit politicians, let's get someone in the office that actually wants the country to succeed. It will take a while, but we've got over a year for even the moderate liberals to see the light.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yea, it sure seems that way...

And the only Latino population that should really be taking offense to his comments is the illegal one... And they can f off. And anyone else that does is really too stupid for me to care. If it means losing the election to Hillary so be it...done with the bullshit politicians, let's get someone in the office that actually wants the country to succeed. It will take a while, but we've got over a year for even the moderate liberals to see the light.
Trump vs Sanders would be fun. Hillary is too much a conservative for me to get excited about.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Donald Trump is an ignorant, belligerent hypocrite. He's the most American presidential candidate we've ever had.

Sep 12, 2004
To be completely practical, I don't think it matters that he's pissed off an entire voting block since Latinos weren't going to vote republican anyway. Jeb can give all of his speeches in english and espaniol and it's not going to matter.
Latinos aren't a homogeneous group. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are often at odds, both of them frequently dislike Mexicans, and vice versa. Speaking a somewhat similar language is no guarantee of unity.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Sure you do. This part was answered;

He is against government assistance, yet he received it and owes his success to it - which was my original point.

Thanks for reminding me to find proof to prove my point.

LOL - the generalization of a liberal. And you guys accuse others of being generalizing bigots/racists/nativists...etc.

He didn't say get rid of bankruptcy, FHA, or any other program that helped him. Furthermore, he hasn't said to get rid of a large swath of any program, he takes a more nuanced (and intelligent) perspective. Something which you obviously fail to recognize or be able to identify with.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
LOL - the generalization of a liberal. And you guys accuse others of being generalizing bigots/racists/nativists...etc.

He didn't say get rid of bankruptcy, FHA, or any other program that helped him. Furthermore, he hasn't said to get rid of a large swath of any program, he takes a more nuanced (and intelligent) perspective. Something which you obviously fail to recognize or be able to identify with.

All of those come from government money/involvement he is against government money/involvement - yet he is on it; and you see NO issues with that.

Yup, hypocrisy and double standards confirmed. Carry on.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Is that really true though? I mean sure, he's about as close to being a media pariah now w/o having people with pitchforks and torches coming after you. But what has he really lost? Celebrity Apprentice? Some hotel bookings? I don't know for a fact that this has really cost him that much.

Isn't he primarily a real estate developer? I don't think what he said really surprised anyone that knows him or with whom he does business. And the only people who are likely to care are public companies like broadcasters who have to worry about advertisers.

Celebrity Apprentice, Miss USA, The Nascar thing, some business deal with Carlos Slim, i think Macy's dropped him too. And his hotels got hacked (may or may not be related). Kinda snowballed for him.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The really scary thing to me is that certain posters here-people who otherwise generally have very well thought out, intelligent postings, apparently have lapped up his BS and support him.

As a Democrat, I'd prefer the GOP select either Trump or Cruz as their nominee, and I'm leaning towards Cruz. Cruz's batshit craziness is more apparent to the average person. Personally I view Trump like I do Ann Coulter-I don't think he really believes the crap he says, and that he is operating on the more outrageous spiel is better philosophy of public relations.

I still stick by my prediction that Trump's campaign is going to be very short lived, though. He will come up with some my business needs my full time attention excuse and quit. Certainly before there is actually any primary results (which admittedly is still a long way off).

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Purely in terms of his "success", why should anyone be all that impressed with this guy? If you were to find a 69 year old in this country who started out with $10,000 at age 29 and retired 40 years later with $1,000,000 net worth, would anyone anywhere be singing the praises of a person like that, other than calling them a diligent saver/investor? Because that's essentially what Donald Trump, age 69, has accomplished; his $100M inheritance turned into a $9B net worth. Supposedly. Given Trump's penchant for self-aggrandizement and exaggeration, who the hell really knows. And the inheritance he received says nothing regarding the giant financial leg up he got when he was gifted thousand's of daddy's real estate holdings while working for him. This guy is the definition of silver spoon, and there's no real reason to be impressed.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
To be completely practical, I don't think it matters that he's pissed off an entire voting block since Latinos weren't going to vote republican anyway. Jeb can give all of his speeches in english and espaniol and it's not going to matter.

It worked for his brother.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Latinos aren't a homogeneous group. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are often at odds, both of them frequently dislike Mexicans, and vice versa. Speaking a somewhat similar language is no guarantee of unity.
I guess so, at least until you start treating them as one anyway. Maybe Trump's comments technically only applied to Mexicans, but I don't know if other subgroups of Latinos necessarily saw his comments as NOT applying to them as well.

Feb 16, 2005
Purely in terms of his "success", why should anyone be all that impressed with this guy? If you were to find a 69 year old in this country who started out with $10,000 at age 29 and retired 40 years later with $1,000,000 net worth, would anyone anywhere be singing the praises of a person like that, other than calling them a diligent saver/investor? Because that's essentially what Donald Trump, age 69, has accomplished; his $100M inheritance turned into a $9B net worth. Supposedly. Given Trump's penchant for self-aggrandizement and exaggeration, who the hell really knows. And the inheritance he received says nothing regarding the giant financial leg up he got when he was gifted thousand's of daddy's real estate holdings while working for him. This guy is the definition of silver spoon, and there's no real reason to be impressed.

This, so much this...

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Last generation had Howard Hughes. We get Trump. Granted we get screwed but then again many things were better back then.

Feb 16, 2005
Last generation had Howard Hughes. We get Trump. Granted we get screwed but then again many things were better back then.

Hughes was 2 generations ago, and he actually did invent/create things, unlike trumplestiltskin.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Hughes was 2 generations ago, and he actually did invent/create things, unlike trumplestiltskin.

Hughes was big when my parents were about my age. I'd say that makes one generation (its only been like 60 years or so since TWA went tits up as far as he was concerned). Also, many argued about/over his creations, just like we have it today.

Last edited:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
" They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people "

That's a true American right there.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I hate him because he forgot to add "...so hide your kids, hide your wife..."

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I read all these posts as, bitch bitch moan moan, vote for another person who will bring the country down into further depths. Why argue about a group of people who will do absolutely nothing right anyway? Do you think ANY of these so called candidates cares about what you or I think? Letting this guy get you worked up is a waste of your bitterness.

I see people spouting, liberals! conservatives! left! right! and I think, outdated behind the times and narrow minded gossipers missing the real issues with tendencies to think their needs are greater than everyone elses.

These companies aren't dropping him because they give a rats ass what he said, they are dropping him because they are afraid of the monetary backlash being of being associated with him as fallout of what he said.

Last edited:

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
And now his hotel is being built by undocumented workers: http://gawker.com/trumps-dc-hotel-is-being-built-by-undocumented-immigran-1716209836

The Washington Post interviewed workers at the future site of the $200 million Trump International Hotel&#8212;located down the street from the White House&#8212;and found that many of them are in the U.S. illegally. Some are worried Trump &#8220;might come one day and pretty much tell us to get the heck out of here.&#8221;

Typical conservative - complains about the very problem he is the source and cause of.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
And now his hotel is being built by undocumented workers: http://gawker.com/trumps-dc-hotel-is-being-built-by-undocumented-immigran-1716209836

Typical conservative - complains about the very problem he is the source and cause of.

Not defending Trump one bit but it would be pretty difficult to hire and pay these people if they weren't able to get here. This type of thing isn't the source of the problem.

You don't mop up the water and then fix the leaking pipe.