DOJ busts dozens in massive college admission cheating scheme

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Hope your kid does great at community college.

You really don't hold much faith in your kids to handle themselves in life do you? It's what it sounds like, at least.

Paying for your kids to attend college (tuition, books, housing, etc...) is not comparable. My parents did that as well - and you know what part of it is? Because we have an incredibly fucked up system in which MY PARENTS INCOME dictates whether or not I qualify for federal loans. The stupidity of that is off the charts - but it is what it is and since I have high income that means I'm basically required to return the favor for my kids.

I don't see any correlation to this case. In this case, these parents were too big of a cheap-ass with their money to buy their way into college the old-fashion (and legal) way - which is to donate a large sum to the school. I see no problem with that - it overall helps the education of everyone at the cost of one seat being filled by someone that is potentially not as qualified. Hell, I would argue that the large donation can be seen as creating more seats for more students to attend - thus a net positive in school seats.

What happened here are sleezy shithead celebrities that won't even pay that amount to the school, and instead try to circumvent (as the con man said "Go in the side-door"). The school doesn't benefit from this - because it's under the table bribes to individual people. They are essentially trying to get around donating millions and instead bribing individuals for thousands.

Also don't knock community college - Nothing wrong with going to a low-cost solution for the first 2 years to knock out stupid basic classes at a fraction of the cost.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
The evidence suggests that rich white people (such as the kids in this case) gain little from going to elite schools so it was probably a waste of money anyway.

Guess it depends on their major. It costs me a shitload to put the kid through UC Santa Barbara, but she got her degree in Marine Biology, and went to work for Ca state EPA.

Let's hear from one of those non Wally's students on their feelings about this.

So yeah. Give me a hundred Wally's every damn day of the week.

That would be the exception. There were a few that were actually doing the work. They lost all their credits earned when this came out. They didn't lose the knowledge, just the paper. They'll still go on. The airheads can fall flat, I could care less about them.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So, you're saying you would rather have an honorable graduate from Wally's School of Trucking, than a Harvard or Yale scholar.

Well, at least you have plenty of money saved for polish for your halo.
If they wanted to be a truck driver then yes. You slide right past the idea that they might be capable of going to Harvard or Yale on their own. If they've already proven they're not capable then, buying their way in is pretty foolish. Why not just give the bribe money to your kids? Are you afraid they'll squander it? Could it be their upbringing by someone who believes money and privilege outweigh ethics and honor?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
And so does the party of rich elites.
Let's see, if Demonrats are the party of the rich elites, I guess that makes the God Ordained Party is the party of the rich...non-elites? So it seems elites are defined as rich people who don't use their money to push policy that harms everyone else for their own gain. Which makes sense because it reminds you that if you were Koch rich you would use your money to fuck others over just so you could make more. I'd hate knowing I was that type of shitty person if I were like you.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There's not a person here that wouldn't do the same thing for their kid(s) if they had the money. Your children's future is the reason you bust your ass at work everyday. I don't begrudge those people one bit for wanting the best for their kids.

If I had access to a wheelbarrow full of money I would do the same damn thing.
That is some fucking bullshit right there. No fucking way I would teach my kids to be scumbags just because i am rich. I teach them to be thankful that they have it so well and to be considerate of others that don't. They are learning the value of money so they never take it for granted. Also, buying your kid an education doesn't make them smart. Anyone with at least a high school education and no religious indoctrination instantly recognizes that someone like Dubya or Trump is an idiot no matter what paper they can wave around.

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
That is some fucking bullshit right there. No fucking way I would teach my kids to be scumbags just because i am rich. I teach them to be thankful that they have it so well and to be considerate of others that don't. They are learning the value of money so they never take it for granted. Also, buying your kid an education doesn't make them smart. Anyone with at least a high school education and no religious indoctrination instantly recognizes that someone like Dubya or Trump is an idiot no matter what paper they can wave around.

You can't "buy anyone an education", you can only purchase an educational opportunity. It's still up to the kid to go to class, take notes, and do the work for the degree. All those parents did, was buy a better environment.

And when you get down to where the rubber meets the road, is there ANYONE here that says: "Yeah! I want my kid to have the worst shot (s)he possibly can have at a future, because suffering builds character?"

Feb 4, 2009
You can't "buy anyone an education", you can only purchase an educational opportunity. It's still up to the kid to go to class, take notes, and do the work for the degree. All those parents did, was buy a better environment.

And when you get down to where the rubber meets the road, is there ANYONE here that says: "Yeah! I want my kid to have the worst shot (s)he possibly can have at a future, because suffering builds character?"

I think the point is if the kid doesn’t want to go to higher education it’s not smart or right to enable them by hiring people to gain admission to a school, then hire assistants to effectively do all the work. All while targeting the most prestigious school possible.
Why not send them down a path they want to pursue and give them something to get them started like a nice house or a few small condos they could rent to people.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I think the point is if the kid doesn’t want to go to higher education it’s not smart or right to enable them by hiring people to gain admission to a school, then hire assistants to effectively do all the work. All while targeting the most prestigious school possible.
Why not send them down a path they want to pursue and give them something to get them started like a nice house or a few small condos they could rent to people.

I never saw any allegations of hiring assistants to do the coursework. If that's the case, then yes, it's all meaningless. Tutors might be different, but from what I read, all the kids wanted to go to those schools, and it didn't have anything to do with Kavenaugh and Squee at a party.

Feb 4, 2009
I never saw any allegations of hiring assistants to do the coursework. If that's the case, then yes, it's all meaningless. Tutors might be different, but from what I read, all the kids wanted to go to those schools, and it didn't have anything to do with Kavenaugh and Squee at a party.

Can't remember which one but the kid was posting on twitter about how great and challenging college was but her Assistant made everything much easier.
Appeared that the kid didn't want to be there, she would rather travel & vacation.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

They weren't buying an educational opportunity, they were buying a prestigious name. After spending the amount of money they did, do you really think they'd be above buying papers, buying test questions and someone to do homework? I want my kids to understand failure is very real if you don't do the work. The issue is lack of consequences. The wealthy rarely consider consequences because they've never had to. Some suffering IS necessary to build character. It forces you to understand that there are many circumstances in life that don't care how much money you have. The idea that people can learn ethics, integrity and, honor after Mommy and Daddy have paid for everything is ludicrous.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is USC really that hard to get into? Is it known for being prestigious? I'm assuming they are California residents too, which would make it in state too. Is it no longer the case where in state schools are easier to get in to for in state students?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
No worries, we have low security prison facilities made just for the affluenza.
Sounds like defense lawyers should be able to argue in court that my client can't go regular jail, that is apparently cruel and unusual punishment for affluent white people, so that's discrimination.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Is USC really that hard to get into? Is it known for being prestigious? I'm assuming they are California residents too, which would make it in state too. Is it no longer the case where in state schools are easier to get in to for in state students?
I think it's more that there's just as much a percentage of rich kids that can't manage college as poor kids, but rich kids get to have their path paid for through the system. In this way, you have a disproportionate number of people getting their way paid through, that otherwise couldn't handle it.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

As far as academic reputation, my take is they’re middle of the road for private schools. But they are a magnet for upper middle class “preppy jocks” in SoCal.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008

USC is a private university. It is not part of the University of CA or Cal State systems.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There's not a person here that wouldn't do the same thing for their kid(s) if they had the money. Your children's future is the reason you bust your ass at work everyday. I don't begrudge those people one bit for wanting the best for their kids.

If I had access to a wheelbarrow full of money I would do the same damn thing.

um, no.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Props to all who have already called you out. This is one of the worst attempts of trolling that I've seen on here in a while. I actually hope you're just being a poor excuse of a troll as the alternative is that you're staggeringly stupid.

I put my oldest through college, paying tuition, cost of books, and even renting her a shared off campus apartment.

If this happened 15 years ago, I would be facing the same charges.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Props to all who have already called you out. This is one of the worst attempts of trolling that I've seen on here in a while. I actually hope you're just being a poor excuse of a troll as the alternative is that you're staggeringly stupid.

Apparently you're childless.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Just how much weight is given to extra-curricular activities?
A lot.
The girl who won the Nobel peace prize is at Oxford right now and she was educated (actually she was not educated because she was a woman ) in Afghanistan

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Dude, for pity's sake, just shut up. I have 4 kids and I'm not wallowing in money.

I am now invoking the Solomon, Twain, Einstein rule on you that I invoked on a guy in the Jussie Smollett thread. Bye.

Apparently you're childless.