DOJ busts dozens in massive college admission cheating scheme

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
The evidence is he didn’t pocket the money and instead spent it on the sailing program. What he did was wrong, his career is toast, he is a felon, and has to pay a fine so he didn’t exactly get off.

I see then the punishment sounds appropriate

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
I'm waiting for that actress and her husband to go to court. They're going to fight it. They might get a bit stiffer sentence.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'm waiting for that actress and her husband to go to court. They're going to fight it. They might get a bit stiffer sentence.

Two days in jail? :D

We'll see if they get more harsh as it goes on.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001

They are already being punished. Loughlin's career is in the crapper. The Hallmark Channel dropped her like a hot potato. Her daughter's "influencer" career has also crapped out because of the indictments.

Add to this that their personal lives have all been laid bare (ex: the husband was exposed as a thief/liar for taking the money his parents gave him for school and using it instead to start his business). If they lose their court cases they lose. If they win their court cases they lose ...

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Update: Felicity Huffman is sentenced to 14 days in prison. This should freak out Loughlin as she has fought it all the way. Huffman didn't.

While I understand the argument for why the system is this way it still bothers me. You're totally right that Loughlin should be worried but inherent in that is the fact that we all recognize that our criminal justice system punishes people for asserting their constitutional rights.

Jan 25, 2011
While I understand the argument for why the system is this way it still bothers me. You're totally right that Loughlin should be worried but inherent in that is the fact that we all recognize that our criminal justice system punishes people for asserting their constitutional rights.
Or they take a more sympathetic view to people who show contrition and remorse for their actions. Loughlin has shown nothing but contempt. You're right it should be the same based on the crime in a perfect world but remorse will always play a part unless it's the most extreme of cases.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Or they take a more sympathetic view to people who show contrition and remorse for their actions. Loughlin has shown nothing but contempt. You're right it should be the same based on the crime in a perfect world but remorse will always play a part unless it's the most extreme of cases.

And by contempt, you mean that she knows she's guilty but wants to waste resources and try to finagle her way out utilizing the two-tier justice system.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
In other words, she'll spend fourteen days being treated like a princess, signing autographs, and having the guards jerk off to her.

Probably more like 6 days. They'll cite over-crowding in the Lindsay Lohan Suite at Club Fed and she'll be quietly released. And even that is ridiculous. When exactly did this become a thing that has people so worked up? Rich parents have been buying their kids way into college since colleges were invented. I guess Huffman and Loughlin fucked up not in what they did, but in how they did it. Pay to change scores you're a criminal, pay for new microscopes in the science lab and you're a philanthropist. Hopefully other rich people learn the lessons of this dog and pony show and in the future channel their payoffs in a more socially acceptable manner.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Why is defending yourself showing contempt?

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Update: Loughlin has now been charged by a grand jury in Boston with conspiring to commit federal program bribery by paying employees at the University of Southern California to admit the defendants' children as athletic recruits or other favored admissions categories. The Feds are piling on additional charges because she has failed to plead guilty.

Also, found it somewhat interesting that (apparently) Loughlin is awaiting Huffman's release so that she can "debrief" her on the conditions in prison.

“She wants to debrief Felicity after jail to find out what it was like and what her advice would be,” a source told People. “She feels like Felicity’s time in jail will be an indicator on her own time, and she’s extremely curious to know how it goes.”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Update: Loughlin has now been charged by a grand jury in Boston with conspiring to commit federal program bribery by paying employees at the University of Southern California to admit the defendants' children as athletic recruits or other favored admissions categories. The Feds are piling on additional charges because she has failed to plead guilty.

Also, found it somewhat interesting that (apparently) Loughlin is awaiting Huffman's release so that she can "debrief" her on the conditions in prison.

“She wants to debrief Felicity after jail to find out what it was like and what her advice would be,” a source told People. “She feels like Felicity’s time in jail will be an indicator on her own time, and she’s extremely curious to know how it goes.”

Way to hold out for more pain.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

she either has the worst lawyers or the best ones.

Nov 8, 2012
These poor poor celebrities. Who will shit in their golden toilets, water their gardens, and tweet stupid shit 1st world problems all day while they are in jail?

Oh wait, they will probably go to an elite class jail with cell phones, TVs, and gourmet meals.

Christ, the whole jail thing (especially in the sense of high dollar individuals) is mere pointless. Give them a HUGE punch to the gut by depleting them of their money. THAT will make them shit a brick and learn a lesson.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Something tells me that she's going to be singing for a while longer.

Prepare for more pain ...

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Something tells me that she's not going to be singing for a while.

Prepare for more pain ...

She's not singing, but the bitch is clearing her throat.

Feb 4, 2009

she either has the worst lawyers or the best ones.

Howard Stern has a great and simple take or bit if you will about this.
Huffman came out and cooperated, didn’t play games with the Police and investigators. She gets an easy ride.
Huffman on the other hand Lawyered up and was a pain in the ass, therefore everyone digs more and more.
Stupid move on her part. She has plenty to live very comfortably for the rest of her life. She and her husband should have plead guilty done the weeks to month time and put it behind them.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
After pleading not guilty for more than a year and having moved for a dismissal of charges as recently as a couple of weeks ago, both Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli have now agreed to plead guilty.

Looks like she will be sentenced to two months in prison and he will be sentenced to five months in prison as well as $150,000 fine, two years of supervised release and 100 hours of community service for her and $250,000 fine, two years of supervised release and 250 hours of community service for him.

Cost them $500,000 for the original bribes and $400,000 in fines as well as a year's worth of lawyer fees.

Now that's what you call expensive college educations.

And they still have to pay for the actual college costs for the 2 daughters.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
After pleading not guilty for more than a year and having moved for a dismissal of charges as recently as a couple of weeks ago, both Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli have now agreed to plead guilty.

Looks like she will be sentenced to two months in prison and he will be sentenced to five months in prison as well as $150,000 fine, two years of supervised release and 100 hours of community service for her and $250,000 fine, two years of supervised release and 250 hours of community service for him.

Cost them $500,000 for the original bribes and $400,000 in fines as well as a year's worth of lawyer fees.

You always seem to beat me to the punch Allisolm when posting these things!

You are correct about SOME of the costs they are paying, but not all consider the following personal losses:

- Loss of her income for the duration of the drama (probably millions)
- The hit to his reputation and to his brand (again, possibly millions)
- They are now convicted felons
- Will she ever return to TV/movies? Possibly, but if not, consider the magnitude of the loss of her future earnings

I've been following this since the beginning and was honestly blindsided by this revelation. They appeared to be very close to having the whole case thrown out just a month or so ago.

I can't wait to read up on how and why they decided to take the plea deal ...

Nov 8, 2012

Ridiculous. You think that is having to pay?

When you fuck up in life - and you play the "I'm not telling game" - which means wasting over a year and TONS of peoples time in courts, lawyers/prosecutors, etc... Then the tab for a celebrity should be in the millions.

Jail time should be in years. Ideally 2+ years.

If you want the easy route (2 months of jail and some peanuts of $150k fine) then you should have plead guilty to begin with.

Reactions: Maxima1

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You always seem to beat me to the punch Allisolm when posting these things!

You are correct about SOME of the costs they are paying, but not all consider the following personal losses:

- Loss of her income for the duration of the drama (probably millions)
- The hit to his reputation and to his brand (again, possibly millions)
- They are now convicted felons
- Will she ever return to TV/movies? Possibly, but if not, consider the magnitude of the loss of her future earnings

I've been following this since the beginning and was honestly blindsided by this revelation. They appeared to be very close to having the whole case thrown out just a month or so ago.

I can't wait to read up on how and why they decided to take the plea deal ...

They committed multiple felonies. 2-5 months jail time? How much time do you think any ordinary person would get for stealing a $1,500 TV? More than a few months.

Damage to reputation? That will wear off after a few years. And the money is nothing to them. They're worth over $100 million.

This is our system of justice. It's always been this way.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I haven't followed this much or looked anything up so I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that her girls knew what they were doing and that they posed for videos/pictures to present themselves as athletes. If they knew what was going on then how are they not accomplices in this?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ridiculous. You think that is having to pay?

When you fuck up in life - and you play the "I'm not telling game" - which means wasting over a year and TONS of peoples time in courts, lawyers/prosecutors, etc... Then the tab for a celebrity should be in the millions.

Jail time should be in years. Ideally 2+ years.

If you want the easy route (2 months of jail and some peanuts of $150k fine) then you should have plead guilty to begin with.
I think the whole idea that you should be punished more harshly for defending yourself is a very dangerous one. It’s one of the reasons plea bargains are already so fucked - they say if you plea we will give you one year but if you go to trial (as is your right) we will go for 20.

Reactions: ch33zw1z