Question Does the NATIVE resolution of a monitor affect FPS?

jainamss

Dec 15, 2020
Hi, I currently have a 1280x720 monitor and mostly play valorant. My specs are 1080ti, i5-9400F and 32GB ram. On the native res of the monitor I mostly get 240fps. I wanted to buy a new 1920x1080 native resolution monitor, but I was wondering if buying it will decrease my FPS a lot. Or will the FPS stay the same as the GPU will be pushing to the native resolution of the monitor?

THanks.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
A higher native resolution means a lot more pixels that need to be rendered. In your case, you'd be going from 912,600 pixels to 2,073,600 pixels. So yes, it will probably reduce your overall FPS. Hard to say exactly how much, though. And I feel VERY confident in saying that you have only actually been seeing 240fps in benchmarks and not actually on the screen since I'm pretty sure no monitor old enough to have a 1280x720 resolution is able to support a 240mhz refresh rate.

So in reality the most likely result is that your benchmarks may show a lower frame rate, but your actual experience will be much better as you'll have a LOT more detail on the screen and your real frame rate won't be any lower (and quite likely still higher) than the 60mhz that your current monitor supports.

jainamss

Dec 15, 2020
A higher native resolution means a lot more pixels that need to be rendered. In your case, you'd be going from 912,600 pixels to 2,073,600 pixels. So yes, it will probably reduce your overall FPS. Hard to say exactly how much, though. And I feel VERY confident in saying that you have only actually been seeing 240fps in benchmarks and not actually on the screen since I'm pretty sure no monitor old enough to have a 1280x720 resolution is able to support a 240mhz refresh rate.

So in reality the most likely result is that your benchmarks may show a lower frame rate, but your actual experience will be much better as you'll have a LOT more detail on the screen and your real frame rate won't be any lower (and quite likely still higher) than the 60mhz that your current monitor supports.
I see, but I also tried to 1080p dsr in my nvidia settings and my fps did not change at all. Also, my GPU usage is under 50% while playing at all times for which i was told may not reduce my FPS. If you know, could you explain why I get the same FPS when I do 2.25x native resolution in the DSR option in nvidia settings?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
First, what GPU do you have?

Technically the displays native resolution has no impact on gaming performance. Its the resolution that the game is set for that does. If you have a 4K display, but your game is set to 1080, you will get the performance of running the game at 1080.

If you set DXR to 1080, this mostly mimics the performance you would get running the game on a 1080P display. But the performance difference between 720 and 1080 is not that large.