Do you use your turn signals?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
They're trying to get a looser turning line... it's kind of racing-esque. I do it sometimes when making a right turn (of course going to the left instead of the right). Changing my line like that gives me a faster turn hence I can turn at 30mph instead of 20mph.

Yeah, I'm sure all the soccer moms I see doing this are really F1 drivers practicing for a Grand Prix.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Correct way to use your signals:

Turn signals will give away your next move. A real driver never uses them.
If you feel you must use them, make sure they blink only once, then turn them off.
Signal only after you change lanes.
Always apply your brakes way before you signal
When making a left turn at a busy red light, wait for the light to turn green before you turn on your signal.
When driving straight, make sure that at least one directional is blinking at all times. This keeps the drivers behind you on their toes.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
too lazy? really?

you're hand is right there already, you're moving one finger, what... an inch?

I always use my turn signals and I hate when other people don't... it sucks to wait at a stop light because I'm trying to make a left turn and I'm waiting for you to go straight when you just end up making an unannounced left turn. and on the flip side, it's pretty damn annoying when someone in front of you jams on their brakes and you have no clue why until you see them make that unannounced sharp right.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
I hate people who try to force their way into your lane when in traffic. They'll keep nudging their vehicle in without using their turn signal and get mad when nobody lets them in.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
From the Virginia DMV code;
46.2-860 Fail to give proper signal misdemeaner $350+ court costs
AND,
46.2-860 Fail to give proper signal FELONY $1000+ court costs
If you think thats steep, understand that as of July 1, THESE FINES ARE TRIPLED!!!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
AND,
If you think thats steep, understand that as of July 1, THESE FINES ARE TRIPLED!!!

What's the difference between the misdemeanor and felony turn signal violations? :eek:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: runzwithsizorz
AND,

What's the difference between the misdemeanor and felony turn signal violations? :eek:

If you were to run a cop off the road, I would say that would do it.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Yes, I do 99% of the time. Sometimes if I need to shift (manual trans), I won't use my signal if I'm making a turn and need to keep the other hand on the wheel or whatever. But even then I try to use it if I can, especially if other cars are around.

I notice a LOT of people don't use them when they have their left hands on their cellphones.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
The only reason I wouldn't use my signal is if I've got my arm out the window. In these cases, I use the hand signals instead.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Always. I drive a pretty much full-sized truck (Toyota Tundra). I would be pissed as hell if a huge vehicle like mine cut me off without using a signal.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: OCNewbie
Yes, I do 99% of the time. Sometimes if I need to shift (manual trans), I won't use my signal if I'm making a turn and need to keep the other hand on the wheel or whatever. But even then I try to use it if I can, especially if other cars are around.

I notice a LOT of people don't use them when they have their left hands on their cellphones.

Shift with your right hand, signal and turn with your left:confused:

I drive a manual, and it's never interfered with my ability to signal every turn.

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Yes, I do. I frigging hate people who don't. It pisses me off to no end and causes me to wait at stop signs alot longer than I should.
And while we're on the subject can someone tell me why it is necessary to swerve to the far right edge of the road to make a left turn? :|

+1

Whether walking or driving, I operate by a "flow of traffic" principle...where any actions that I do should be calculated to maximize the smooth flow of traffic. If I cut someone off and they have to brake hard, I lose. If I see someone about to turn into my lane and speed up to stop them, I lose. If I'm about to cross an intersection on foot and someone's already stopped at the stop sign, I'll walk behind them so that they can go. It's polite, it's efficient, and it's actually good for your gas mileage not to use large inputs of gas or brakes. I'm usually going slightly faster than the overall speed of traffic, too, so it's not like I'm losing any time by driving this way. Indeed, by watching traffic and planning my moves early, I'm quite often in the "fast" lane during a jam.

That's totally how I operate as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup: