Do you use your turn signals?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I'm going to admit. I don't use my turn signals as much as I used to. It's not because i'm lazy, it's apart of a strategy I use when driving. It works, and saves me a lot of frustration.;)

Do you guys always use your turn signals? And why/why not?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yes, I do. I frigging hate people who don't. It pisses me off to no end and causes me to wait at stop signs alot longer than I should.
And while we're on the subject can someone tell me why it is necessary to swerve to the far right edge of the road to make a left turn? :|

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
I signal a little less than 5 secs if I'm merging into a new lane. If you leave your blinker on longer people will just accelerate and pass you. That's what you mean right OP? I signal at all the normal intervals, at stop signs and stop lights when you can either go straight or turn. Signaling when in a turn lane is completely optional IMO.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
I don't understand why people wouldn't.

they are criminals, they basically want anarchy
they are anarchists and want to overthrow the government through their criminal behaviour

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yes, I've used my turn signal 99% of the time. the 1% was when I may've accidentally forgot and I feel bad about it. I expect others to use it, so when I don't, I feel like a hypocrite for bashing other people for not doing it. It's all part of my Do Unto Others style of driving.

Oh and this reminds me of the scene in Shoot 'Em Up where Clive Owens gets pissed at an old guy in a BMW for not signaling properly :p. I won't say what he does, but it made me cheer.

Originally posted by: ThePresence
And while we're on the subject can someone tell me why it is necessary to swerve to the far right edge of the road to make a left turn? :|

They're trying to get a looser turning line... it's kind of racing-esque. I do it sometimes when making a right turn (of course going to the left instead of the right). Changing my line like that gives me a faster turn hence I can turn at 30mph instead of 20mph.

EDIT: What about other niceties of driving? Such as using your headlights in fog, overcast skies, rain, etc? I notice that about 15-20% (just a guesstimate) don't use their headlights unless it's pretty much nighttime! I remember being on the highway (65mph road) and a gray car did not have its headlights on so it was quite hard to see until I got close to it as it was very foggy out.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
About 90% of the time. The only time I don't is if I'm changing lanes on a road and there's no cars around, empty road, etc.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is Chicago, nobody uses turn signals.

I've thought about removing mine and replacing them with something far more useful like twin .30 caliber machineguns.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yea, I do pretty much always. I hate it when I'm driving to work and the person in the other lane is on their cell phone and they are too lazy to for a second put the phone down or switch hands and just cuts in front of me. Assholes.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
The reason why I don't use mine is I hate being in back of slow driving people. You know, the people that do 18mph in a 25mph zone. I always seems to get these people i front of me when I play by the rules and hate it. For example, if I need to make a right at the next corner, and someone in the opposite direction wants to make a left onto the same street, I just speed up a bit, and milliseconds before I make my turn, put my signal on or sometimes don't signal at all. This prevents about 75% of the people that are on the road, just to be on the road, from getting in front of me.

On the highway, I use my signal more, but I use it very wisely. ;) This prevents the asshats from speeding up, just to spite you.

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I always use my turn signal, except one instance I can think of a few months ago.

I was driving north on I-25, in the left lane with nowhere to go (I wasnt tailgating but I was definitely going as fast as I could, and the right lane was full in front of me). A guy in a Jetta launches past me on the right, then cuts me off right in the tiniest spot he could fit in front of my bumper, if I hadnt hit my brakes he would not have actually made it in the hole between my car and the car in front of him in the right lane. Needless to say im pist he cut me off and didnt use his turn signal and had no business trying to fit where he did. So im behind him for a while, see an opening in the right lane and do the same thing to him without signaling (but in a noticeably bigger hole, because Im not willing to risk an accident).

I see in the rear view mirror him raise his hands like "aww what an asshole!!" to me. And I smiled and smiled and smiled.

cliff:
guy cuts me off w/no signal
I jump in front of him w/no signal
hes clearly upset from my rear view mirror
profit

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I use turn signals if there are other cars around. I don't when I'm driving around my neighborhood...but as soon as I hit the bigger roads I do.