Do you use your turn signals?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Yes I do. I don't understand why people wouldn't.

I regularly use mine. what's this strategy? Is everyone on the road out to block your moves?

What I don't get is the people that are signaling 20-30 secs prior to their turn...and esp with needing to cross lanes they don't.

They wait until the last minute and then try to make a turn across 2 lanes of traffic.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Yes, I've used my turn signal 99% of the time. the 1% was when I may've accidentally forgot and I feel bad about it. I expect others to use it, so when I don't, I feel like a hypocrite for bashing other people for not doing it. It's all part of my Do Unto Others style of driving.

Oh and this reminds me of the scene in Shoot 'Em Up where Clive Owens gets pissed at an old guy in a BMW for not signaling properly :p. I won't say what he does, but it made me cheer.

Originally posted by: ThePresence
And while we're on the subject can someone tell me why it is necessary to swerve to the far right edge of the road to make a left turn? :|

They're trying to get a looser turning line... it's kind of racing-esque. I do it sometimes when making a right turn (of course going to the left instead of the right). Changing my line like that gives me a faster turn hence I can turn at 30mph instead of 20mph.

EDIT: What about other niceties of driving? Such as using your headlights in fog, overcast skies, rain, etc? I notice that about 15-20% (just a guesstimate) don't use their headlights unless it's pretty much nighttime! I remember being on the highway (65mph road) and a gray car did not have its headlights on so it was quite hard to see until I got close to it as it was very foggy out.

You really don't want to use headlights in fog...parking lights or fog lights (which are misnamed in the auto world usually).

I hate those guys that weave right quick for a left turn...it doesn't do anything but screw up the balance of the vehicle.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Yes, I do. I frigging hate people who don't. It pisses me off to no end and causes me to wait at stop signs alot longer than I should.
And while we're on the subject can someone tell me why it is necessary to swerve to the far right edge of the road to make a left turn? :|

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Um, yeah. I admit that there are some moments I might not, but usually that is if I absolutely know that no one is posing a danger near me.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Linux23
The reason why I don't use mine is I hate being in back of slow driving people. You know, the people that do 18mph in a 25mph zone. I always seems to get these people i front of me when I play by the rules and hate it. For example, if I need to make a right at the next corner, and someone in the opposite direction wants to make a left onto the same street, I just speed up a bit, and milliseconds before I make my turn, put my signal on or sometimes don't signal at all. This prevents about 75% of the people that are on the road, just to be on the road, from getting in front of me.

On the highway, I use my signal more, but I use it very wisely. ;) This prevents the asshats from speeding up, just to spite you.
I hate asshole drivers that do that. :|

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
You better fvckin believe I use my turn signals. And yes, i make a full 3 second stop at a stop ign, even if there's no traffic.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
The reason why I don't use mine is I hate being in back of slow driving people. You know, the people that do 18mph in a 25mph zone. I always seems to get these people i front of me when I play by the rules and hate it. For example, if I need to make a right at the next corner, and someone in the opposite direction wants to make a left onto the same street, I just speed up a bit, and milliseconds before I make my turn, put my signal on or sometimes don't signal at all. This prevents about 75% of the people that are on the road, just to be on the road, from getting in front of me.

On the highway, I use my signal more, but I use it very wisely. ;) This prevents the asshats from speeding up, just to spite you.

Seriously. Turning left can be a pain in the ass even without idiots who intentionally try to screw you. I'm not sure why he thinks anyone is on the road just to be on the road. :confused:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

Seriously. Turning left can be a pain in the ass even without idiots who intentionally try to screw you. I'm not sure why he thinks anyone is on the road just to be on the road. :confused:

IMHO, it feels that way when you have people on the road doing 5mph below the posted limit. For instance, this asshat yesterday decided to go 7mph below the limit, then speeding up and letting off of the accelerator. What's funny is that he/she does this for a few miles and when we get to a traffic light that's about to turn red, he suddenly speeds up.:confused:

And don't get me started when i'm on the highway traveling I-95 South. Morons will backup traffic for miles, because a car is parked on the side of the highway, disabled.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I do in traffic. If the road is deserted or the nearest car is a long distance away I don't bother
I hear ya but I still do it out of habit. Then afterwards... you think... gee, I never really needed to use my turn signal there did I :p

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Yes, I occasionally lapse, but not often. I also try to make room for people changing lanes if they use their signal.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Yes, I occasionally lapse, but not often. I also try to make room for people changing lanes if they use their signal.

Good man. Unfortunately when I try to help another driver out by letting them in front of me, I almost always wind up with egg on my face. :( They get in front of me, and surprise, surprise, slow right down.:|

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006

hope those few minutes saved by potentially not getting stuck behind someone pays off off before someone follows you home and chokes you in your own driveway

seriously, you just fucked someone without even knowing if they're going to drive slower than your preference

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I almost always use them. Only time I don't is when somebody has already pissed me off by driving like an asshat and I can see an opportunity to fuck with that person.

I also REALLY hate when people are exiting somewhere and they don't use their blinker so you never know where they're going till they move. That's way more dangerous than lane changing without signaling.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'd be like one of those videos you see on Wildest Police Chases. Even if I were fleeing from the cops with them in hot pursuit, I'd still be using my turn signals.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Raduque
I almost always use them. Only time I don't is when somebody has already pissed me off by driving like an asshat and I can see an opportunity to fuck with that person.

I also REALLY hate when people are exiting somewhere and they don't use their blinker so you never know where they're going till they move. That's way more dangerous than lane changing without signaling.

Yes, but not to the driver who isn't signaling ;) , because the world revolves around them and what's important is the feeling of superiority ;) they get by talking about their poor and antisocial driving habits ;) while pretending it is a strategy. ;)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Yup, always. It's a kind of communication to other drivers, as well as pedestrians, to signal your intent.
And it's kind of useless to turn on your turn signal when you're already making the damn turn!!! By that time, anyone's already figured out the reason why you were inexplicably slowing down. Signal before you need to slow down. Brake lights go on, turn signal goes on, "Oh, this person must be turning."

I also use hazard lights if I'm on the highway, and traffic ahead is stopped for construction (I'm in PA. Highways are always under construction). It indicates to drivers behind me (even those far away), that there's something abnormal ahead, and that they'd best slow down. Just because they see brake lights on doesn't necessarily indicate to them that traffic has stopped. The hazard lights hammer home the point.

Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Yes I do. I don't understand why people wouldn't.
Because people are so goddamned lazy that they can't be bothered to move a little lever.