Do you use your cell phone as a portable music player?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: tersome
i have this phone
a razr? lol
i dunno whihc v #
got it at verizon store
free with agreement
rofl couldnt afford it otherwize

anway it plays music
i dl m&m songs for ringtones

Originally posted by: Special K
Having said that, does it even make sense to use a phone as a music player? Do any of you use your phones that way?

i cant see how that dont make cents?

.... What?

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Originally posted by: uhohs
It's just the American way to add extra bells and whistles into electronics in an attempt to make them sell better. No matter how many washer/dryer or refrigerators GE sells with built-in cable TV LCD panels, they simply won't be that useful.

Same goes for cell phones. Why burden an already short-lived battery powered device with music? It really just doesn't make a lot of sense. Pure marketing gimmicks.

um, yeah, the american way.

/me looks curiously at cellphones and gadgets in asia.

Hey. Retard. I just got back from Japan, trust me, I know a little something about hand-held electronics and what they use them for.

No reason to attack someone for pointing out that Asian markets have phones with far more features which trickle down to the U.S. market.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Originally posted by: everman
Originally posted by: uhohs
It's just the American way to add extra bells and whistles into electronics in an attempt to make them sell better. No matter how many washer/dryer or refrigerators GE sells with built-in cable TV LCD panels, they simply won't be that useful.

Same goes for cell phones. Why burden an already short-lived battery powered device with music? It really just doesn't make a lot of sense. Pure marketing gimmicks.

um, yeah, the american way.

/me looks curiously at cellphones and gadgets in asia.

Hey. Retard. I just got back from Japan, trust me, I know a little something about hand-held electronics and what they use them for.

No reason to attack someone for pointing out that Asian markets have phones with far more features which trickle down to the U.S. market.

Additionally, no reason to point out what Asian markets carry when it holds no relevance to talking about AMERICAN cell phones and their usability.

We could go back and forth in quotes on this one for ages, so lets just end it here and say that while my response was pretty aggressive, it was also defensive. I suggest just leaving it at that.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
What is batter life like when using it as a music player? My ipod shuffle gets around 20 hours of playback and my cellphone only needs to be recharged like twice a week, I would hate to have to recharge my phone every day or multiple times a day.

parsley007

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
yeah, i've got a nokia 6255 with a 1 gig card (forget what type) ~$40 and their headphones ~$20. works real good for me :beer:

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Yah, I use it. I have a SLVR with a 512 MB card. Saves me a pocket and the trouble of having to worry about my iPod as well. I only usually do this when I'm on campus and I know I will be going back to my dorm room to charge it.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
I had an Ipod Video. Battery barely lasted my one movie.

I now use my Motorola Q with a 2GB miniSD card (cost me $20 or less) and some wired stereo headphones that came with an older phone. This actually sounds very good (note that I'm no audiophile though), and I only have to carry one device, which is great for me. I even watch movies on it. I charge my phone every night anyways, since even without listening to music on the Q, my battery is pretty dead at the end of the day from mobile emails and such. The controls on Windows Media Player mobile aren't bad.

Memory cards are cheap nowadays, and I listen to the same 10 songs everyday anyways, so there's no need for me to carry 20GB+ of music on me at all times. Heck 2GB is still plenty.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Originally posted by: Canai
Nope, I have an ipod for that. Phones are for talking :)

Then what are ipods for? Looking cool? Because the quality sucks.

What, you get better quality off of phones? I like my ipod, and I have far too much music to fit on any memory card. I have an 80GB and the battery lasts for 3-4 hours of video, and much longer than I need for audio.

I have no need for a fancy phone, in fact I hate cellphones, and I often leave mine at home and grab my ipod. Perhaps I'd rather listen to music than have people blab at me :D

edit: and I also use my ipod in my car in lieu of cds. ipod + sat radio is all I need :)

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I'll be needing a new phone soon and am curious if I can get one that will function as a decent music player. I wouldn't need much storage, and a 3.5mm jack would be nice, problem is I really don't want to buy/install a card reader for my computer, and there are definitely none that have USB hookup. Lame.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have LG(somehting something) with a built in MP3 player. i also have the memory card for it. I just do not have any headphones. all the ones i see that can be used with it are damn expensive.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I attempted to. I have a Sony Ericsson Z710, very similar to their Walkman W710.

I bought a 1GB MemoryStick Mirco M2 for $30 for it. Such M2 cards are limited to 2GB in size.

I also bought the HPM-70 headphone adapter because SE phones don't have a mini jack built into their phones. What kind of BS is that?

Anyway, the 1GB limitation along with having to carry tons of wires everywhere, as well as the fact that earpiece volume wasn't great, meant that my experiment soon came to an end.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
Yes, SE k800i = my phone, camera, and mp3
Not bad.

It seems to me that Verizon's phone choices SUCK. Can't these things be unlocked and be more interchangeable?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Special K

Having said that, does it even make sense to use a phone as a music player?

Yeah...one less gadget to carry

Do any of you use your phones that way?

My phone is a LG VX9800 and I've got a 2gb Mini SD card in it.

I don't use it as a music player. I tried it for a short while, but an Ipod Nano is so much more capable at being a music player that it was worth the extra bit of weight.

Now, I do use it as an on-the-go video player though (I mostly watch ATHF or Family Guy ripped from the DVDs)

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: archcommus
I'll be needing a new phone soon and am curious if I can get one that will function as a decent music player. I wouldn't need much storage, and a 3.5mm jack would be nice, problem is I really don't want to buy/install a card reader for my computer, and there are definitely none that have USB hookup. Lame.

No. Most phones that have memory cards can be hooked up via their usb ports to a computer.....like the Motorola phone the OP is talking about

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

The quality of output sucks?

You're not claiming that there's a huge variance between the output of digital music players, are you?

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

The quality of output sucks?

You're not claiming that there's a huge variance between the output of digital music players, are you?

stock headphones from apple suck

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
T-Mobile Dash with 2GB MicroSD.

Yes, I do use it as a music player. Only when I am in a pinch or at a client. I also use my bluetooth headset as a wireless headphone when I want to listen to something without my client knowing about it. :D

rhatsaruck

Oct 20, 2005
Nokia 6230b with 1GB MMC card. I've got about 120 songs (MP3s @ 192kbps), a bunch of photos, 5 movies and the card is about 50% full.