Do you use your cell phone as a portable music player?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I just got a razr v3xx which is capable of playing music.

The only problem is I would need to buy a microSD card and some bluetooth headphones to use the player. A quick search on Newegg shows that a 2GB microSD card is ~$40, while bluetooth headphones range from $70-$100. By comparison, an Ipod nano 2GB is ~$140. I could probably find similar players from other manufacturers for even less.

Having said that, does it even make sense to use a phone as a music player? Do any of you use your phones that way?

randomint

Banned
Sep 16, 2006
it's weird because even though it's a "good" thing to have all of your gadgets in one, it then becomes too complex/cumbersome to use it. no one want sto have a separate cellphone, mp3 player, pda etc. but haivng it all in one still doesn't give people that feeling of completeness. they still feel that if they had an iPOD or creative zen that they will have a better music experience.

so then i ask what is the point of putting all this functionality in one device? answer me dammit!

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
It's just the American way to add extra bells and whistles into electronics in an attempt to make them sell better. No matter how many washer/dryer or refrigerators GE sells with built-in cable TV LCD panels, they simply won't be that useful.

Same goes for cell phones. Why burden an already short-lived battery powered device with music? It really just doesn't make a lot of sense. Pure marketing gimmicks.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Special K
I just got a razr v3xx which is capable of playing music.

The only problem is I would need to buy a microSD card and some bluetooth headphones to use the player. A quick search on Newegg shows that a 2GB microSD card is ~$40, while bluetooth headphones range from $70-$100. By comparison, an Ipod nano 2GB is ~$140. I could probably find similar players from other manufacturers for even less.

Having said that, does it even make sense to use a phone as a music player? Do any of you use your phones that way?

Nokia E61 2 GB miniSD media player music+video
Be careful, make sure that your phone supports A2DP before you buy stereo bluetooth headphones, I thought my phone supported A2DP headphones like my creative se2300, it turned out it doesn't, although it's rumored Nokia might support A2DP through a patch or something, but it's highly unlikely :(

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Izusaga
It's just the American way to add extra bells and whistles into electronics in an attempt to make them sell better. No matter how many washer/dryer or refrigerators GE sells with built-in cable TV LCD panels, they simply won't be that useful.

Same goes for cell phones. Why burden an already short-lived battery powered device with music? It really just doesn't make a lot of sense. Pure marketing gimmicks.

um, yeah, the american way.

/me looks curiously at cellphones and gadgets in asia.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
On occasion. I don't have an mp3 player otherwise and dont have the need for one so my phone works fine. Oh and I work for a cell phone company.....so.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
BlackBerry Pearl with 1Gb mSD and I do use it occasionally for tunes, but the headphones are suck. I just need a unit with a 3.5mm jack...

morkman100

Jun 2, 2003
Sony W810i with 2GB memory stick duo has replaced my Creative Zen Micro 4GB for daily use. Just wish that the 810i had a 3.5mm jack for headphones instead of having to use that adapter cable thing.

Music playing software is very cool. The only thing that sucks is the fast forward/rewind is very slow (1 minute RW/FF takes 10 seconds). Not a big deal for music listening, but a huge pain when listening to long MP3's (audio books or Howard Stern).

Aug 25, 2004
I have a Dash with a 1GB card thrown in, but I don't use it for music. And don't bother with bluetooth, I don't think bluetooth does more than 64Kbps audio anyways.

tersome

Jul 8, 2006
i have this phone
a razr? lol
i dunno whihc v #
got it at verizon store
free with agreement
rofl couldnt afford it otherwize

anway it plays music
i dl m&m songs for ringtones

i cant see how that dont make cents?

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I have never used my phone for music. The UI just isn't that great compared to an iPod. I would much rather have my music on a dedicated device. Also, keep battery life in mind. How much will music drain the battery and will you still have enough to talk.

Originally posted by: tersome
i have this phone
a razr? lol
i dunno whihc v #
got it at verizon store
free with agreement
rofl couldnt afford it otherwize

anway it plays music
i dl m&m songs for ringtones

i cant see how that dont make cents?

I have no idea if you are trying to be funny.
If yes - Better luck next time.
If no - I am sad for humanity.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I only have a regular telephone. Sometimes it lets me listen to soft rock classics while I'm hold though.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I have a Motorola A1200 and it does play mp3s. I got a 1GB MicroSD card off newegg for $8.

I already owned an mp3 player though and it just seems much more convenient to use the mp3 player than my cell phone.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I use a 1 gig MSD card and some loaded music on my LG 8300 everynow and then. Certainly not a daily thing I do, but a couple times a month I'll play it over the speakers on the phone. There's a surprising amount of volume that comes from the side mounted speakers on this thing.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have a Chocolate and 1gb microsd card, and yes I use it for music. Since I almost always have a hands-free headset on me (for driving, wires not BT), I just plug it in when I want to hear some tunes. I also have an extended battery that lets me talk or listen to music for about 12 hours straight.

Edit: At 12 hours, it outlasts my Zune, which I only listen to in my truck anyway.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i can still get 10 or 12 hours out of my nano, and if the battery is dead i can deal without music. if my phone dies while im out on a job site, im hampered in my work progress usually. i have an old razr v3c tho, so its not even a player. when i do upgrade in a few months, i wont be getting a player tho. it just doesnt make sense to mix those two, the phone battery is needed for calls.

palswim

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2003
www.palswim.net
I've made a rule for myself that I will only buy a combo phone when the mp3 player sounds as good (and works as well) as a (decent) standalone mp3 player and when the camera takes acceptable-quality pictures. Fuzzy metrics, but it appears we're not quite there yet.

Until that time, it's a Spartan phone for me.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Originally posted by: uhohs
Originally posted by: Izusaga

um, yeah, the american way.

/me looks curiously at cellphones and gadgets in asia.

Hey. Retard. I just got back from Japan, trust me, I know a little something about hand-held electronics and what they use them for. Reality is that the majority of Americans are too dumb to play tetris on their cell phone let alone understand bluetooth pairing and using numerous peripherals. Talk to ANYONE who works at a Sprint, Cingular, AT&T store. Ask them how many times they get asked complicated questions or sell something that will actually UTILIZE those toys. I guarantee you the ratio of that vs. how many times some retarded soccer mom walked into the store because she couldn't figure out how to get a ringtone will be close to 100:1.

We are lightyears behind in handheld mobile technology. Was on a subway watching TV on some guys phone.

Thank you for your delightful and educated insight into the matter.