Do you use your cell phone as a portable music player?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I have music on my phone so that if I am somewhere and bored I can listen to it, but I do not use the phone as a primary player.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Originally posted by: palswim
I've made a rule for myself that I will only buy a combo phone when the mp3 player sounds as good (and works as well) as a (decent) standalone mp3 player and when the camera takes acceptable-quality pictures. Fuzzy metrics, but it appears we're not quite there yet.

I think its already there. My SE 810i and other SE offerings have quality cameras, decent MP3 players (its actually branded as a Walkman), and the phone is excellent.

Here's an example pic that I took at a pet store that I think is half decent:

Pic

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Flammable
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Originally posted by: Canai
Nope, I have an ipod for that. Phones are for talking :)

Then what are ipods for? Looking cool? Because the quality sucks.

The quality of output sucks?

You're not claiming that there's a huge variance between the output of digital music players, are you?

stock headphones from apple suck

Meh...I switch out to $10 Sennheisers immediately after purchase. Not a dealbreaker at all.

IHAVEAQUESTION

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Can anyone recommend a mp3 phone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I've visited howardforum, but people there kept suggesting phones that costs $400. I am really looking into combining phone and mp3 into one device. I don't mind the old model just as long as it looks ok.

My criteria:
1. MP3 capability (with memory slot to expand)
2. Bluetooth. Not so much that I want to use wireless headphone but because I want to be able to send and receive files with my laptop.
3. $100 price target.
4. GSM...compatible with tmobile.

I was looking at Rokr and Slvr but it seems like both have limit on the capacity of memory you can expand (256mb?).

so, suggestion?

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
No. Mainly because all my phone is capable of is polyphonic sounds and I don't much care to listen to synthesized muzak instrumentals. :)

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
have a treo 700p with a 1GB SD card...hardly use music to play on it. in fact, i use the card to transfer ringers to the treo.

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: IHAVEAQUESTION
Can anyone recommend a mp3 phone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I've visited howardforum, but people there kept suggesting phones that costs $400. I am really looking into combining phone and mp3 into one device. I don't mind the old model just as long as it looks ok.

My criteria:
2. Bluetooth. Not so much that I want to use wireless headphone but because I want to be able to send and receive files with my laptop.
3. $100 price target.

I was looking at Rokr and Slvr but it seems like both have limit on the capacity of memory you can expand (256mb?).

so, suggestion?

krzr or rizrs can take 2 gb microsd cards ($30)....maybe more with the 4gb cards come out

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no, i use my cell phone to make phone calls

i have never and most likely never will use my PHONE as a camera, MP3 player, TV or whatever else they try and convince you that you need in a phone

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
I don't like all that integrated stuff, although I will admit that every once in a blue moon, the camera will be useful.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
i have a sony ericsson k790, 3.2MP camera, 1GB MP3 walkman with ear-bud headphones. I wouldn't have it any other way.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Originally posted by: uhohs
Originally posted by: Izusaga
It's just the American way to add extra bells and whistles into electronics in an attempt to make them sell better. No matter how many washer/dryer or refrigerators GE sells with built-in cable TV LCD panels, they simply won't be that useful.

Same goes for cell phones. Why burden an already short-lived battery powered device with music? It really just doesn't make a lot of sense. Pure marketing gimmicks.

um, yeah, the american way.

/me looks curiously at cellphones and gadgets in asia.

Hey. Retard. I just got back from Japan, trust me, I know a little something about hand-held electronics and what they use them for. Reality is that the majority of Americans are too dumb to play tetris on their cell phone let alone understand bluetooth pairing and using numerous peripherals. Talk to ANYONE who works at a Sprint, Cingular, AT&T store. Ask them how many times they get asked complicated questions or sell something that will actually UTILIZE those toys. I guarantee you the ratio of that vs. how many times some retarded soccer mom walked into the store because she couldn't figure out how to get a ringtone will be close to 100:1.

We are lightyears behind in handheld mobile technology. Was on a subway watching TV on some guys phone.

Thank you for your delightful and educated insight into the matter.

what's your point? This post has nothing to do with what uhohs said. You say it's the "American way" yet all of our gadgets come from Asia. Meaning that it's the Asians who are doing the converging of technology. Why does this bother you? It's not just the American way, it's the way all technology goes.

And your last post really is misleading too. I'd venture to say that a lot of people know how to download ringtones and play tetris on their mobile. Cingular's MEdia Mall, while not on par sales-wise with Asia and Europe, does quite a brisk business here in the states.

There's no need to get defensive or aggressive, chill out man.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I also just figured out how to encode/load MPEG4 videos onto my v3xx. I probably won't make use of it too much, but for times when I'm bored waiting in line, that + some regular headphones so as not to annoy people around me might just do the trick. Apparently you don't need to use bluetooth headphones, as moto makes a USB->stereo minijack adapter.

For $40 after MIR it's a pretty good phone.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I got 2gb micro sd off of fleabay for 15 shipped. I suggest you check there. I use my phone occasionally for music if I'm somewhere and have to wait for something, or are doing a tech job and get bored waiting for a windows install. I find myself running movies off of my phone much more often (I have an audiovox SMT5600) and every time I need to declare a jihad on the toilet bowl, I put on an episode of prison break using TCPMP video player, which remembers where you previously were in a show. Ive watched quite a few episodes so far. I definitely recommend the storage.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: toekramp
i have a blackberry pearl, 1 gig microsd, and have never used it for music

lol, good one man. I don't blame you.

some of us just don't have the time to be fiddling with cell phones except to make sure it does what we absolutely need it to do. primarily, communication.

but you know what, as cell phones become far more advanced than the typical handset for voice calls, we're looking at piracy laws taking effect on cell phones as whole operating system will be deployed on even the smallest phones, to say, more widespread than today's imagination. it's unbelievable how many sony ericksons my team worked on when I used to work at a factory job where we replaced parts for cell phones.

just imagine DVD quality output from your cellphone through s-video cables and 5.1 surround over upgraded ATI Imageon graphics and imbeded Creative X-fi sound chips, all inside a very small cell phone.

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: IHAVEAQUESTION

My criteria:
3. $100 price target.

so, suggestion?

How about Motorola's offerings ... they are pretty cheap .. nab an L7 or something in that range

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Using a cell phone as a portable music player is a horrible idea. Battery life for your cell phone will suffer and the music quality will not be that great coming from a cell phone mp3 player. Buy the ipod if you want one, don't get a phone that can do both and use it for both.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I used to use my slvr for music at work. Until I lost the proprietary headset (too cheap to go buy another one or the 3.5mm jack). Oh well, trading up for an N80....

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
nope. I used my pda for mp3 when no phone in the market was capable to do that. camera phone didn't exist when I was taking .3mp pics with my pda.

for pda, mp3 came first before camera
for phone, camera ame first before mp3

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Yup. I have my Etymotic ER4P hooked up to my Sony Ericsson k750i.
Occaisionally I'll bring my P to S cable and a portable amp. :p
Audiophile music on the go from a cell phone.
I bet the whole setup didn't cost more than your ipod too. Probably sounds loads better.