do you tip pre or post tax?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: rrahman1
Originally posted by: Chryso
I look at the total, take 10%, then add half of that amount of top of it. I hate people that go nuts over things like this.

DING! That is what I do.

why not just say 15%?

It's an easy way to figure out 15%.

ah, in that case i do the same thing too :) 10% + 1/2 of that

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Post tax, man. These poor fuckers waiting tables don't even have to be paid minimum wage.

Do you really want to screw a working single mother out of being able to buy baby formula that badly? Cough up the extra couple bucks, cheapskate. You can't take it with you.

I usually tip 20 to 25% of the total for acceptable (i.e. good enough) service. Very good service gets 30% usually. I have tipped 100% of the bill before for exceptional service, but I've only done this twice.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ja1484
Post tax, man. These poor fuckers waiting tables don't even have to be paid minimum wage.

Do you really want to screw a working single mother out of being able to buy baby formula that badly? Cough up the extra couple bucks, cheapskate. You can't take it with you.

I usually tip 20 to 25% of the total for acceptable (i.e. good enough) service. Very good service gets 30% usually. I have tipped 100% of the bill before for exceptional service, but I've only done this twice.

I am unaware of the US having a strict caste society that disallows them from getting a regular hourly wage-paying job. I'm not going to feel sorry for them or be guilted into giving them what other people think I should.
If a single mother is making that little money, she's most likely eligible for WIC from the state, that covers baby formula.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Never really thought about it, and just naturally tip based off of total price.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I just go roughly 20% if it was good, 10% if it was ok and nothing if it sucked. Does pre or post really matter? How many people here regularly go out and spend enough for it to be worth more than a dollar?

It's sad, we have threads here with people talking about their high-paying jobs (average person here makes 100k+, right? ;)), yet g_d forbid they spend any of it.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

I am unaware of the US having a strict caste society that disallows them from getting a regular hourly wage-paying job. I'm not going to feel sorry for them or be guilted into giving them what other people think I should.
If a single mother is making that little money, she's most likely eligible for WIC from the state, that covers baby formula.

Calm down Mr. Miser, I'm exaggerating for effect. The overall point I'm getting at: Don't be a dick when tipping.

Generally speaking, most of us eating out are a far ways better off financially than the serving staff. If they do a good job, reward them for it. If they don't, don't. It's simple.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I tip what the person earned.
If they fucked off all night they get nothing. If they busted their ass to take care of me I am very generous.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: rrahman1
Originally posted by: Chryso
I look at the total, take 10%, then add half of that amount of top of it. I hate people that go nuts over things like this.

DING! That is what I do.

why not just say 15%?

The math is easier when you break it down that way.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
tax in this area: 8.625%

tip: double the tax minus some change if necessary. so pre-tax.

One problem with doing this my entire life - we went to Maui and I didn't even think about their sales tax rate there... I think it was 4%.. oops. Didn't realize till way after and embarrassingly (in retrospect) we stayed there for quite a bit after.

What's more embarrassing though imo is taking out a calculator/cell phone to figure it out because it makes you seem like the person who has to get it exact.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

You know about pooling tips right?

And I also agree that they they chose this job, not the other way around. It's a gamble for them - a gamble they actually win a lot of nights. As in every tipping thread, I will end off with... tipping is fuct up in this country.

Feb 10, 2000
20% on post-tax for me. Might go up or down a bit based on service or the number of singles I have on me. Usually shoot for 15% on take-out.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Calm down Mr. Miser, I'm exaggerating for effect. The overall point I'm getting at: Don't be a dick when tipping.

Generally speaking, most of us eating out are a far ways better off financially than the serving staff. If they do a good job, reward them for it. If they don't, don't. It's simple.

Now I'm Mr. Miser? DIE! :|
It's people like you that make them feel entitled to more than 15% for average performance, though ;)

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Now I'm Mr. Miser? DIE! :|
It's people like you that make them feel entitled to more than 15% for average performance, though ;)

That depends. Do you know my standards for "good enough"? What I call good enough and tip 25%ish for most people would probably call very good.

nobody554

Jan 21, 2006
Loosely double the tax normally
If they sucked, they get pocket change
If they did well, they get good money.

Feb 6, 2007
Seeing as how I live in a state with no sales tax, I have absolutely no way to answer your poll accurately. I suppose I could say pre-tax, but that conveys the erroneous view that my bill will be taxed at some point, which it clearly will not. If I did live in a place with tax, I'd tip post-tax, but I'm a ridiculously high tipper. I figure I make enough to tip well and these poor bastards have to work nights when they could be out partying... I'm willing to go 20-25% on that (higher if there's booze involved).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
if they do a ok job theni tip 10%. if htye do a great job i tip 20+$

they do a shitty job i don't leave a tip. I usually do it post tax though. never really thought about it/.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
The difference is usually so small it doesn't even matter. I give 20% if I'm at a standard restaurant and if I'm at a bar I throw $1 per drink regardless of whether it's a PBR Tallboy or a Rogue. Obviously if I get floated some 'freebies' I still tip for those as well.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I have tipped on the total only because it is very easy to calculate, just move the decimal point in, multiply by 2, round down.

However, my younger brother had a good point about paying tips on alcoholic drinks like wine and bar drinks. 1$ per bar drink, 2$ per bottle of wine. Of course, I don't have any experience where it makes a difference, but he has purchased 300+$ bottle of wines frequently and that is where the tip makes a big difference.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
I guess I just double the tax + a little more. Our tax is almost 9% here, so I suppose I tip pre-tax since tax isn't taxed... although, that could be something our darling governor could explore.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I divide the total including tax by 5 to get 20% and then start subtracting from there for poor service, bad food, etc.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Ah, tip threads, always a clusterfuck.

I usually tip 20-25% on all delivery / restaurant bills after tax. I have been a waiter and a driver for food so I am empathetic towards their needs. If there is bad service they receive 10-15%, but still, always a tip.