Do you think Trump Republicans will actually inject themselves with disinfectant?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I read a blog on a vaping site a couple of years ago that opined that vaping helps prevent things like viral infections because the PG formed a thin "coating" that prevented the cirus from getting into the lungs.

I don't know if it's bullshit...certainly could be...but I DO know that since I started vaping 7+ years ago, I've had ONE chest cold, and it was pretty mild. When I smoked cigarettes, I could almost guarantee at least one every year...usually turned into bronchitis. I mean, damn, it's almost like those cigarettes weren't health and might have been causing harm or something. Nah, that's just crazy talk.
Are you "Boomer"? Over 65? We have parallel struggles with bad habits. Except for the morning white-bubble-gum expectoration, my daily Metoprolol and Hydrochlorothiazide, and my Spiriva -- I still have normal health. I have another box of Chantix sitting on my table, while I try and decide to move forward with it. But a complete lack of colds and flu for the last 15 years -- I attribute that to an annual flu shot.

And I'm waiting to get a "flu" shot, while I'm shut-in, or going to the grocery store with a bio-hazard suit and blue nitrile gloves.

I can 'hold out" without cigarettes or vaping fluid under a total lock-down emergency. I can live without cannabis vape cartridges and bud, I suppose. But how many times over the next 18 months will I encounter some . . . . unmasked asymptomatic? Or touch the grocery store counter, return to the car with my bags, get in the driver's seat -- then, look around to see nobody with eyes on me -- so I can remove my respirator and PICK MY NOSE?! Could be too late for a "flu" shot.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It absolutely is. If you think IV detergent or an inhalation of bleach is a good idea then you are an unmitigated moron.
The time for sugar coating how we talk to idiots is gone. They are dangerous and stupid.

iu

i agree as well

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I disagree. A good culture and operational structure are what protect people from stupidity in operation. Punishing those who speak in earnest but are mistaken leads to divisiveness and a lack of freedom to speak up when uncertain about one's position, similarly punishing expression of the good ideas that a person may have.
Calling someone out for being an idiot isn't punishment!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Anything is possible with people this dumb and/or indoctrinated. I stopped expecting repug covidiots to act rationally a long time ago.

Well, I see we just passed the 50k dead mark. Way to go Team Treason.

Now do the country a favor and follow your Dear Leader's medical advice.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
So how long before Trump says:

Hydrochloric Acid kills the corona virus, so makes sense to inject it! What do you have to lose? Try it!

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It absolutely is. If you think IV detergent or an inhalation of bleach is a good idea then you are an unmitigated moron.
The time for sugar coating how we talk to idiots is gone. They are dangerous and stupid. We cant stop them being stupid but we can stop them being dangerous.
Typical liberal! Trump has a cure! You just want people to die!

/s

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Trump just said he was being sarcastic even though it's all on tape.. lol CNN is losing their minds right now.

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
You never know what a dummy that supports Trump will do or any person that saw him say those things on tv. We have to worry that someone may take his advice and do the very thing. It could very well happen.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And blast themselves with UV light?

:D
I figured that this would actually happen as soon as the Orange Baboon was strutting his profound medical knowledge for his chuds to consume in the briefing yesterday. I was so dumb founded, I just give up commenting in pseudo real time.

Feb 4, 2009
I am confident someone will and/or there will be a few hospital visits from people who sprayed Lysol into their lungs. Not many but I am sure there will be some.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you are calling them an idiot instead of pointing out the mistake in their idea, yes it is.
You can do both. And the issue here is people who have had their mistakes pointed out multiple times but still keep spewing them out.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can do both. And the issue here is people who have had their mistakes pointed out multiple times but still keep spewing them out.

You can do both, but I'm not in favor of the shaming.

And I agree with you that the issue here is the pattern, not the event. Which is why I labeled it a systems issue, presented a discussion about where that issue emanates from, and provided a suggested course of action.

Do you think the issue here is that people have not tried hard enough to shame Trump? Because I think us being in the present situation is pretty compelling evidence that such attempts are not working*.

*the degree to which anything is working depends upon the outcomes being measured, and how you prioritize them

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
If he's not motivated by money, what could it be? He's so desperate to have some "happy talk content" that he repeats any nonsense he's heard. He's like human click-bait. "Doctors don't want you to know this one weird trick to kill coronavirus!"

It's 40% Trump latching on the first thing he hears, 30% insecurity (he is deathly afraid of being wrong - that means he's weak), and 20% being enabled by yes-men who are too afraid of him to contradict him.

He wants this whole thing to end like a movie. He suggests the oddball cure that solves everything with a neat bow and it all goes back to normal. Then he’s the hero for tweeting about the miracle and he gets his economy back and people shower him with praise. Roll credits.

Reactions: Meghan54 and dank69

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You can do both, but I'm not in favor of the shaming.

And I agree with you that the issue here is the pattern, not the event. Which is why I labeled it a systems issue, presented a discussion about where that issue emanates from, and provided a suggested course of action.

Do you think the issue here is that people have not tried hard enough to shame Trump? Because I think us being in the present situation is pretty compelling evidence that such attempts are not working*.

*the degree to which anything is working depends upon the outcomes being measured, and how you prioritize them
I'm not talking about Trump. I'm talking about random idiots that think they have simple common person sense when they are actually ignorant idiots.

Reactions: dank69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I disagree. A good culture and operational structure are what protect people from stupidity in operation. Punishing those who speak in earnest but are mistaken leads to divisiveness and a lack of freedom to speak up when uncertain about one's position, similarly punishing expression of the good ideas that a person may have. When something is merely suppressed, however, it also does not go away. Imagine someone other than Trump had this idea and feared being seen as dumb for asking about it. Then intentionally inhaling lysol and causing lung damage. It may have been much better if that person felt safe asking their doctor if this would help and their doctor was non-judgmental in replying no, that would not help and is very unsafe. We have seen this in operation already (chloroquine poisoning). A good culture and operational structure would have promoted Trump sharing his idea with his advisers and being educated otherwise and not expressing it. And for others to step in immediately after expressing it and adding reason to the discussion. Now this didn't happen because the culture we have is a product of Trump's intention. And that is the most compelling reason of this for which he is unfit for office of President.

Don't mistake me. The fact that he didn't have the wherewithal to question his own logic demonstrates something seriously damning about his fitness for office. It's just that it's relatively low on my extremely extensive list.

In applying it to the general public. Please don't write off people with dumb ideas like this. That's asking too much.

I might or might-not call someone an idiot for coming out with that idea, depending entirely on my relationship to them. Only in a few contexts would I mean it in a hostile way.

I just think there's a world of difference between someone floating his idea to his medically-educated mate down the pub, in a spirit of wondering why it couldn't work, or to his doctor in a consultation, beause he's desperate for a treatment, versus a narcissist possessed of terrifying levels of entitlement thinking the world needs to be informed about his ignorant musings...while being President...and at an official press briefing....about a national crisis (and, just to add one final level of insult to everyone, not even being _coherent_ in his foolishness).

Trump has obviously gone through life surrounded by sycophantic underlings scared for their jobs, so has gotten the idea that his every barely-formed thought on any topic is worthy of being announced to the entire world. What that bizarre speech said to me was just how full of himself the guy is. Seems as if nobody, at least nobody he couldn't fire, has ever told him he's talking rubbish.

Reactions: dank69

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I might or might-not call someone an idiot for coming out with that idea, depending entirely on my relationship to them. Only in a few contexts would I mean it in a hostile way.

I just think there's a world of difference between someone floating his idea to his medically-educated mate down the pub, in a spirit of wondering why it couldn't work, or to his doctor in a consultation, beause he's desperate for a treatment, versus a narcissist possessed of terrifying levels of entitlement thinking the world needs to be informed about his ignorant musings...while being President...and at an official press briefing....about a national crisis (and, just to add one final level of insult to everyone, not even being _coherent_ in his foolishness).

Trump has obviously gone through life surrounded by sycophantic underlings scared for their jobs, so has gotten the idea that his every barely-formed thought on any topic is worthy of being announced to the entire world. What that bizarre speech said to me was just how full of himself the guy is. Seems as if nobody, at least nobody he couldn't fire, has ever told him he's talking rubbish.

I agree with this pretty much as written. I would say as to the very last part that who, with a strong sense of duty to those he/she has an influence toward would choose to involve themselves with Trump? I suspect anyone who didn't know better turned tail. Some in the current administration are probably in some crisis of duty, thinking it is better to exercise what little good judgment they can sneak by to protect the public than confront him. But apart from e.g. the medical experts who previously had very little reason to have direct interaction with Trump, those in government at high positions with such inklings are probably already gone.

Reactions: hal2kilo