Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Almost flawless execution. The only mistake was selling the 1050ti when you could nearly have covered that 1080 purchase now...

Yikes.

Yeah, if you have a crystal ball, I'm interested in purchasing one. ;)

On a side note, if I could find a 3090 at MSRP, which is somewhat likely since those don't sell out at Micro Center very fast, I might sell my 3080 at these inflated prices to cover most of the purchase. Solves the whole, "is 10GB enough VRAM" problem pretty nicely. Also, the eVGA 3090 Ultra in my signature runs around 2000 Mhz almost all day long. Only drawback is the system draws around 600w at the wall to do so. Now that's yikes!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Yeah, if you have a crystal ball, I'm interested in purchasing one. ;)

On a side note, if I could find a 3090 at MSRP, which is somewhat likely since those don't sell out at Micro Center very fast, I might sell my 3080 at these inflated prices to cover most of the purchase. Solves the whole, "is 10GB enough VRAM" problem pretty nicely. Also, the eVGA 3090 Ultra in my signature runs around 2000 Mhz almost all day long. Only drawback is the system draws around 600w at the wall to do so. Now that's yikes!
Only the 3090 FE can still be had at the original MSRP price, as it was not made in China. All of the others were made in China, and now have tariffs added to their price.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Only the 3090 FE can still be had at the original MSRP price, as it was not made in China. All of the others were made in China, and now have tariffs added to their price.

Even that might still go up soon due to raising prices on memory, silicon, and substrate.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yikes! I need another for a relative, asap. Amazon & Best Buy have them every now & then, but they go quick.

Also, with the new "old" stock coming back, those are going to be at higher MSRPs than originally. Soon as that happens, new cards at the current price points are going to directly compete with the new "old" stock once it is out. That means raised prices for that reason at the very least on the new stuff. It will be YEARS I think before this market starts to go back down.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Also, with the new "old" stock coming back, those are going to be at higher MSRPs than originally. Soon as that happens, new cards at the current price points are going to directly compete with the new "old" stock once it is out. That means raised prices for that reason at the very least on the new stuff. It will be YEARS I think before this market starts to go back down.
That's too bad. He might have to live with my 2080ti then.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I received my 3090 less than two weeks after release, and any doubt about the value proposition has vanished from my mind by now. The purchase turned out even better than my admittedly dumb purchase of the 2080Ti, which I never even imagined would be on top for 2 years, and I lucked out on that one value wise.

Things have changed and for a good while from now it seems we all need to make sure we have hardware that will last for a good while in case we can't get hold of the next generation, in addition to ordering the next gen as soon as possible, at least if our current stuff isn't up to snuff.

Lets just say I would never even consider mining or risking anything with my card no matter what kind of crypto fanboy fantasies you could tempt me with, nor would I sell it for huge markup because it could turn out I may not be able to get hold of an upgrade for the next two years, or worse maybe not even a replacement if needed(!).

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I received my 3090 less than two weeks after release, and any doubt about the value proposition has vanished from my mind by now. The purchase turned out even better than my admittedly dumb purchase of the 2080Ti, which I never even imagined would be on top for 2 years, and I lucked out on that one value wise.

Things have changed and for a good while from now it seems we all need to make sure we have hardware that will last for a good while in case we can't get hold of the next generation, in addition to ordering the next gen as soon as possible, at least if our current stuff isn't up to snuff.

Lets just say I would never even consider mining or risking anything with my card no matter what kind of crypto fanboy fantasies you could tempt me with, nor would I sell it for huge markup because it could turn out I may not be able to get hold of an upgrade for the next two years, or worse maybe not even a replacement if needed(!).

If I had spent that much on a video card (probably triple what my 3070 cost), I wouldn't take it out of the box ;) You'd be a fool to mine with that one anyways as they are very prone to overheating.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I paid $288 new from Amazon for my EVGA 1070 (6173KR) in 2018. Now $300 for a used one is a good deal...nuts :D
In December 2018 I bought my Zotac gtx 1080 amp for $440 from newegg. The 2070 was just $50 more but not yet available so I went ahead with the old card. Tomorrow the rx 6900 xt arrives and the gtx goes to rma. I plan to put it up as a spare when it comes back.

Now I'm looking at a Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor to go with it.... :eek: :p

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

I spent $1570 on a PNY Uprising card last year that is now $2150 on Best Buy, the most expensive model there. It's a solid no-frills reference card, but the new price is a ripoff even compared to other models. I got $470 back on my old 1080ti on ebay. I'm also getting much more use out of it now than I would later in the year due to the covid closures.

The 3090 is underrated in general and has a significant lead in VR. The pricing sucks but I think at MSRP it's still a better deal than the 2080ti was, which was not that much faster than the previous generation and lacked HDMI 2.1.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
In a weird way, it's disheartening to hear that the shortage of cards is supply driven as much or more than it is demand driven (based on that prior post about lack of resources).

If supply was high, we could at least look forward to a market crash and glut of used inventory priced to sell.

Right now the most we can really hope for is a return to MSRP in a year or two if supply really does outstrip demand, and maybe a crash the year after that.

Reactions: Mopetar

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
In a weird way, it's disheartening to hear that the shortage of cards is supply driven as much or more than it is demand driven (based on that prior post about lack of resources).

If supply was high, we could at least look forward to a market crash and glut of used inventory priced to sell.

Right now the most we can really hope for is a return to MSRP in a year or two if supply really does outstrip demand, and maybe a crash the year after that.

That's not weird at all, TBH. It was really nice to be able to get a $80-$100 RX470-580 used while it lasted. 1060s were also easily found at $100 6GB/$80 3GB and while these may not be great they were all good enough to essentially allow for anyone to have a really solid 1080p gaming setup who wanted one.

While there has to be some return to earth it seems, it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing $100 5700's and $120 3060's next year :D

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I would be happy to buy the card that I want at no more than 50% markup, but somewhat reliably. I wonder when we'll hit that milestone. Maybe April/May?
It will depend on the BTC/ETH market, I guess, and how much "lightly used" inventory will be made available if break-even for mining those is suddenly gone.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I can't wait to buy some deeply discounted ex miner hardware.

I did it with Polaris ($55 for Sapphire Nitro+ cards) and with Pascal (cheap GTX 1060/1070) during past crashes.

Those parts have since gone on to serve a third life as part of GAMING rigs for friends and family.

The way Lisa Su and Jensen Huang intended.

ubern00b1

Jul 6, 2017
I bought a new XFX 5600 XT Thicc II Pro in August of last year for £270, I was admittedly expecting to kick myself hard in a couple of months when RDNA2 was released and the mid-range 5600 XT successor dropped for similar money and a lot more performance though fast forward to today and it was a damn good choice IMO, oI've just seen they are selling on eBay for £450+ :eek: sorely tempted to list it on there to profit but then I wouldn't be able to buy a new GPU :rolleyes::laughing:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
It is done...amen. :p I had to bend the drive cage inward to make it fit so it looks like crap right now. Later on I'll cut the cage out or use it as an excuse to buy a new case.

Attachments

• 20210215_170825.jpg
    20210215_170825.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 47

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
He can't afford to after paying what must have been a fortune for the 6900xt :D
That 6900xt has brought my enermax platimax 1350w into submission as its 30a 12v rails are not enough for this beast. Every time I try to run heaven it trips out so I"m looking for a new ps.

Edit: I was perusing EVGA again tonight and they had several more units in stock so I picked up a SuperNOVA 1300 G2 for $299.99 plus tax with free shipping.

Edit 2: The culprit was my EVGA Nu Audio card that just coincidentally went bad when I installed the new GPU. Once it completely died the current problem stopped. I even installed their newer 7.1 surround system and it kept on rocking so I just wanted to set the blame straight. I'm still swapping the PS out for the new one.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
That 6900xt has brought my enermax platimax 1350w into submission as its 30a 12v rails are not enough for this beast. Every time I try to run heaven it trips out so I"m looking for a new ps.

Edit: I was perusing EVGA again tonight and they had several more units in stock so I picked up a SuperNOVA 1300 G2 for $299.99 plus tax with free shipping.

Wow, that enermax was misleading in its rating.

My old 650 watt evga ps allows 54* amps on its single 12v rail. And that is less then half the rated wattage of that enermax.

*https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-gq-0650-v1

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Wow, that enermax was misleading in its rating.

My old 650 watt evga ps allows 54* amps on its single 12v rail. And that is less then half the rated wattage of that enermax.

*https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-gq-0650-v1
Looking at the manual is a real eye opener if you pay attention to the output diagram and its explanation. Only 12v rails 3-6 offer 30a and even with two dedicated 30a rails to the card it still triggers the power protection circuits after just one pass of heaven. I read over on the evga forum that the 3090 is doing the same thing to some smaller ps's. Rails 1-2 offer up to 20a but I'm not buying that at all.

The unit I bought offers 108a on the 12v rail which should be more than enough so it should help it age well as it will lose output with time and heat.

Reactions: Leeea