Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Not a chance.
Heart wants it but mind is telling me may be more trouble than is worth, I also may have some spacing issues and need to get a riser for my PCI-E sata card that sits in the 4th slot and partially blocks the last fan on the zotac (about 12 cm of space between the last fan and the card, cover about 50% of it), hasn't been an issue since the Zotac is a three fan card (may be 1c rise but nothing significant) but the space will be lower with the FE (10 cm) and I am thinking will cause a hit to temps given the exotic 2 fan setup. I actually want to convince the guy to just keep his 3090...in this world having a GPU with assured warranty is worth a LOT.

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Heart wants it but mind is telling me may be more trouble than is worth, I also may have some spacing issues and need to get a riser for my PCI-E sata card that sits in the 4th slot and partially blocks the last fan on the zotac (about 12 cm of space between the last fan and the card, cover about 50% of it), hasn't been an issue since the Zotac is a three fan card (may be 1c rise but nothing significant) but the space will be lower with the FE (10 cm) and I am thinking will cause a hit to temps given the exotic 2 fan setup. I actually want to convince the guy to just keep his 3090...in this world having a GPU with assured warranty is worth a LOT.

So this guy is trying to offload the 3090? Definitely not then. Sounds like buyer's remorse. Don't Make his problem your problem AND pay for it.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
So this guy is trying to offload the 3090? Definitely not then. Sounds like buyer's remorse. Don't Make his problem your problem AND pay for it.
I can definitely relate to his issue though honestly around 300-400 is what the 3090 is worth over the 3080 relative to performance. But the market is insane, the MSI 3090 trio I canceled coz it was 1850 with tax is now going for 1980 before tax and insta-selling.😒

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
1080Ti's often going for over $500 on ebay right now. Go get yours today. Also, $1800 for an RTX 3080 is fairly common. This is terrible. I'm betting no new GPU until next year.

Reactions: Leeea

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Untill ETH is full POS no new GPUs for gamers.1-2more years.

Hope my 1080Ti doesn't die on me. Even the 1660 Supers I got my kids are going for like $500 now. Totally insane. The current market does show what people are willing to pay for GPUs, and I find that to be interesting. It's a good experiment for Nvidia and AMD. No reason why they shouldn't just double the prices on their entire lineup from now on. People will pay it and seemingly not care. Pretty mind blowing.
So, low end GPU's would be like $300, mid range like $1000 and anything high-end could easily go for $1500+. No problems at all.

I think a lesson to be learned from all of this is that the rest of the world shouldn't rely on others to manufacture everything for them. Then again, if graphics cards were made in the US, it'd be like buying a car. Parents would have to start teaching their kids to save and budget in elementary school so after they graduate highschool maybe they could afford to finance their own GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: CP5670

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Then again, if graphics cards were made in the US, it'd be like buying a car. Parents would have to start teaching their kids to save and budget in elementary school so after they graduate highschool maybe they could afford to finance their own GPU.
What if they were like martial arts, and you had to EARN your next GPU, in some form of online combat? As well as pay for it of course.

Scalpers, Gamers, and Miners, all battling it out in online gameplay, for the chance to buy the newest GPUs... shades of Hunger Games?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
What if they were like martial arts, and you had to EARN your next GPU, in some form of online combat? As well as pay for it of course.

Scalpers, Gamers, and Miners, all battling it out in online gameplay, for the chance to buy the newest GPUs... shades of Hunger Games?

Sounds good to me! I know who'd be getting first dibs at GPUs and it wouldn't be miners.

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
OP, define "Normal". The MSRP for most of the new gpus is so far from the market it is a joke.

Some (not me) made fun of Nvidia for it's obvious supply constraint. AMD seemed to indicate it would have enough cpu/gpus BUT it appears MORE constrained than Nvidia.

Until all of the subcomponents of the cpu and gpu become "normally" available to the assemblers, prices will stay high.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Hope my 1080Ti doesn't die on me. Even the 1660 Supers I got my kids are going for like $500 now. Totally insane. The current market does show what people are willing to pay for GPUs, and I find that to be interesting. It's a good experiment for Nvidia and AMD. No reason why they shouldn't just double the prices on their entire lineup from now on. People will pay it and seemingly not care. Pretty mind blowing.
So, low end GPU's would be like $300, mid range like $1000 and anything high-end could easily go for $1500+. No problems at all.

I think a lesson to be learned from all of this is that the rest of the world shouldn't rely on others to manufacture everything for them. Then again, if graphics cards were made in the US, it'd be like buying a car. Parents would have to start teaching their kids to save and budget in elementary school so after they graduate highschool maybe they could afford to finance their own GPU.
I doubt prices will stay high if all the cryptos go to PoS. Right now lots of enterprising fellows are buying every GPU they can get their hands on to put into mining farms. And regular gamers figure they can "subsidize" high GPU pricing by mining when they're not gaming. If the crypto profit went away I highly doubt anyone would be willing to pay current GPU prices.

Reactions: lightmanek

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Bestbuy just had a drop of FE cards that lasted all of 30 seconds I think. It's been awhile since the FE's were in stock on bestbuy, the only place to buy them retail, and they were gone instantly.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I actually may have managed to snag 3070FE from today's BB drop. Got confirmation email and pending charge on my CC, estimated delivery two days from today. Fingers crossed it won't get cancelled.

EDIT: BestBuy shipped my card, arriving thursday, woot!

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well gents I was able to score a XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6900 XT from Best Buy this morning when they did a sudden drop and my browser detected it and displayed everything that was now in stock. They have a new checkout process and the card in your cart is not yours until you begin checkout otherwise the next guy who beats you to checkout gets it.

They also have multi-tiered it to prevent a bot from buying a card. Once I get it in the Zotac is off to rma and will become a backup card. I hope that next time I need to buy a card that scalpers won't be an issue.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Bestbuy just had a drop of FE cards that lasted all of 30 seconds I think. It's been awhile since the FE's were in stock on bestbuy, the only place to buy them retail, and they were gone instantly.

Hmmm... when I tried to buy a PS5 from Best Buy they'd put everyone who clicked add to cart on a timer and then when that timer expired you'd have to click add to cart and hope you could get checked out before your location's stock ran out. Was it different for gpus? Also they'd trickle PS5's out a few at a time so there would be a few rounds you could order them in.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Hmmm... when I tried to buy a PS5 from Best Buy they'd put everyone who clicked add to cart on a timer and then when that timer expired you'd have to click add to cart and hope you could get checked out before your location's stock ran out. Was it different for gpus? Also they'd trickle PS5's out a few at a time so there would be a few rounds you could order them in.

It's the same, but it went from the "Please Wait...." to Sold out instead of going back to add to cart for me today on all items they had.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

ByteSizeTech (TechDeals guy and his wife).

Talking about WHY the 3060 ti is "worth" $800.

He makes some really good points. I liked his comment about the fact that if you're a gamer, you can either "play the game" or "sit this one out", but "it doesn't change the rules of this game".

I wish more gamers would take note, instead of just spewing hate. Those people are basically the gaming version of incels. They just complain, instead of "playing the game".

Reactions: undertaker101

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

ByteSizeTech (TechDeals guy and his wife).

Talking about WHY the 3060 ti is "worth" $800.

He makes some really good points. I liked his comment about the fact that if you're a gamer, you can either "play the game" or "sit this one out", but "it doesn't change the rules of this game".

I wish more gamers would take note, instead of just spewing hate. Those people are basically the gaming version of incels. They just complain, instead of "playing the game".

People who think ethereum sucks are incels? Please tell me you're drunk right now.

Reactions: Leeea and SMU_Pony

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
While perusing in stock cards at various retailers I noticed rx570's in the $500 range and I was like wtf.. o_O

RX 570 8GB right? Still the way miners have cleared off the 6GB plus cards even the RX 570 4GB that sucks for mining seems to sell for around $200 used last time I checked. Briefly considered selling my 1660 Super until I saw how much it would cost to get a 570, and RX 570 is the lowest I'd go on my gaming PC.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
There are good cards to be had used still for decent prices. Check ebay for GTX 1070's for instance, can be had for around $300.