Discussion Do you keep emergency supplies at home? (And if so, any plans to increase or decrease those items?)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recently bought a Ryobi inverter that takes 18v batteries, also acts as a USB power bank. Kinda nifty to be able to power small 120v loads with a tool battery, which I have a lot of.

WfdAwmP.jpg

Great for things like a lamp, phone, radio, charging AA batteries etc.

I have solar on my shed and have a dedicated electrical panel in my house that is fed from the shed. Goal is to eventually run plugs in a few areas around the house but for now I have a single 20a plug in the basement. So that little inverter is a bit redundant but between all the tool batteries I have, would give me a bit of extra power at night for lamps and such.

Reactions: Brovane

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Drinking water is something I should probably stock more on actually. It's easy to take the faucet for granted. A year or so ago I had a water main break in my area that affected my water, it was only a few days so I managed fine with the drinking water jug I already do keep in the fridge, and used snow for any other water I needed but it was only a short period. At very least need to get some bigger water jugs and make sure they're always full. Probably want to rotate them so the water does not sit for long though.

If I really wanted to get fancy could setup an IBC tote in the back yard to act as water reserve too. Need a way to keep that insulated and heated though.
I personally think this is a much better solution (I use it fairly regularly with great results and it is my favorite water filter that I've tried so far):

It is better in the full kit format, but it is sold out at the moment:

That way, you don't need to buy expensive water storage containers, figure out how to keep the water from growing bacteria, keep the water heated, etc. You just need access to a stream, lake, pond, puddle, or rain/snow. 100,000 gallons of water from one little device. The main drawback for you would be that you need to keep it from freezing. But I imagine in an emergency you'd want your room to be at least above freezing.