Discussion Do you keep emergency supplies at home? (And if so, any plans to increase or decrease those items?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
For as long as I can remember, I've had at least a 30 day supply of food. I could probably make it to 60 if I really had to.

This road floods every few years and it has been 4-5 weeks at times that I can't get out.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
we could have a flood that cuts us off from getting in or out, we could get 4 feet of snow and loose power for a week, we could have a tornado east of us that totally ruins the electrical grid. its not really a political thing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
we've always kept a well-stocked pantry, but never for the purpose of having "survival" food. I'm sorry but that's just an America thing. Nobody in (big list of countries that don't have a flag on the moon) is thinking' the end of the world is coming, and if it was, we would try to find a way so that we can *all* survive, not "just me".

Aside from that, there's also the notion that, even in a scenario where preppers are right, the end of the world comes, and a few survive, you still wouldn't get to repopulate the earth, for SCIENCE reasons. Too small population pool would lead to congenit defets within a handful of generations, and even those generations would be reduced to little but animals before it got to that point. You NEED society to remain a modern man, without it, you would revert to feral very quickly.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nope. I'd be totally screwed after like a week or two, depending on whether I just went grocery shopping or not. Sooner if the water goes out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I could probably live for a year with the food I have. I might have to cut back a little, and I wouldn't have what I wanted, but I could stay alive.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The only thing I'll intentionally stock to hedge against trouble is toiletpaper. That wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years until covid V1.0. I knew there were a lot of stupid people, but they completely annihilated my estimate. I always had toiletpaper, but it wasn't always my preference. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

TP isn't a big deal. If you run out, just take a shower. Or get a bidet.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I could probably live for a year with the food I have. I might have to cut back a little, and I wouldn't have what I wanted, but I could stay alive.
When I lived in the midwest, I worked with quite a few people who were Mormon.

Their church highly encouraged all of their members to keep at least one year of food on hand at all times. Honestly, I always thought it was a good idea, but it would be a pain constantly rotate a year's worth of food so it wouldn't expire. A person would really have to be organized and have a good system down.

The only way I would keep that much food on hand would be one of those buckets of dehydrated emergency food supplies they sell at Costco from time to time (which claims up to a 20 year shelf life if I remember it correctly). However, from the reviews I saw on it when I looked at it many years ago, the taste of that kind of food is pretty bad.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
we've always kept a well-stocked pantry, but never for the purpose of having "survival" food. I'm sorry but that's just an America thing. Nobody in (big list of countries that don't have a flag on the moon) is thinking' the end of the world is coming, and if it was, we would try to find a way so that we can *all* survive, not "just me".

Aside from that, there's also the notion that, even in a scenario where preppers are right, the end of the world comes, and a few survive, you still wouldn't get to repopulate the earth, for SCIENCE reasons. Too small population pool would lead to congenit defets within a handful of generations, and even those generations would be reduced to little but animals before it got to that point. You NEED society to remain a modern man, without it, you would revert to feral very quickly.

It's not just end of the world. The US is a large place so we're, collectively, prone to every natural disaster situation you can think of: earthquake, mud slide, fire, drought, tornado, hurricane etc. Not to mention extreme heat or cold for weeks at a time. You can be snowed in by six feet of snow or your area could need to deal with 120 degree. All of those can mess up your ability to get supplies and utilities for weeks at a time. Just in Time logistics means stores aren't stocked for such occasions and the larger natural disasters (esp hurricanes) will also fuck up the infrastructure that would bring in new supplies. Not stockpiling a couple of weeks of certain supplies in certain areas of the US is just poor planning

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's not just end of the world. The US is a large place so we're, collectively, prone to every natural disaster situation you can think of: earthquake, mud slide, fire, drought, tornado, hurricane etc. Not to mention extreme heat or cold for weeks at a time. You can be snowed in by six feet of snow or your area could need to deal with 120 degree. All of those can mess up your ability to get supplies and utilities for weeks at a time. Just in Time logistics means stores aren't stocked for such occasions and the larger natural disasters (esp hurricanes) will also fuck up the infrastructure that would bring in new supplies. Not stockpiling a couple of weeks of certain supplies in certain areas of the US is just poor planning
that's absolutely reasonable but also, you should concede that it's not the *only* scenario why specifically americans, stockpile supplies. Did you forget the toilet paper madness?
There's a fundamental egoism to american culture that you won't find elsewhere. I'm really srtuggling now to try to explain this without making it "political".
Go to Japan, and you will see the opposite; people can be almost subservient to the needs to their society. Working 50 years straight without having any "waste" and then just dying is seen as admirable. If there is a spectrum, you are at one end of it.
Again, i'm not sure how the US can have so weak an infrastructure, with all the money you have. The Texas power grid failure last year was ridiculous, that shit wouldn't happen in Russia, and it happens in the US ? It's like, you are expecting to be left to your own devices.
Between the 1950s and the 1980s, the US was vastly more advanced than the rest of the world - what the fuck happened?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
that's absolutely reasonable but also, you should concede that it's not the *only* scenario why specifically americans, stockpile supplies. Did you forget the toilet paper madness?
There's a fundamental egoism to american culture that you won't find elsewhere. I'm really srtuggling now to try to explain this without making it "political".
Go to Japan, and you will see the opposite; people can be almost subservient to the needs to their society. Working 50 years straight without having any "waste" and then just dying is seen as admirable. If there is a spectrum, you are at one end of it.
Again, i'm not sure how the US can have so weak an infrastructure, with all the money you have. The Texas power grid failure last year was ridiculous, that shit wouldn't happen in Russia, and it happens in the US ? It's like, you are expecting to be left to your own devices.
Between the 1950s and the 1980s, the US was vastly more advanced than the rest of the world - what the fuck happened?

Those questions cannot be debated without turning this thread political, and we really, really don't want that. However, that entire question would make for a great argument in P&N. ;)

This thread is simply, "If you had some form of disaster in your area, could you feed / support yourself for a particular period of time, or would you be person who immediately needed to receive support from others?".

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Somewhat ironic you mention toilet paper and Japan. It seems you should broaden your perspectives a bit more since toilet paper madness was hardly an 'America only' issue.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Somewhat ironic you mention toilet paper and Japan. It seems you should broaden your perspectives a bit more since toilet paper madness was hardly an 'America only' issue.

Yeah, it happened here too. In the first days of the pandemic the supermarket shelves were mostly stripped bare.

I knew people who stocked up on groceries in anticipation of Brexit-shortages and price increases....which then came in handy when the COVID panic-buying hit.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

(Here is stab at a balanced view on why the quality of life has declined)

I too have noticed a decline in the standard of living over the last 50 years. There are a number of things that have changed in that time period, most notably of which is the extreme globalization of supply chains. We dont build things here to the extent to which we used to. Ideally this was supposed to raise the standard of living around the world, and to a large extent it did, but it came at a cost to ours in my opinion. The counter to that is that in return for lower wages over time, costs were also kept down because of low cost overseas goods.

Supply chain risk has now been recognized as a growing problem, affecting everything from chips available for new car sales to basics at the grocery store. Politics, natural disasters and war anywhere on the globe now puts a hurt on world wide quality of life. People just cant get what they need, so if you want something you have to pay a lot for it (ie..inflation!)

I have said this before and I know people disagree, but overpopulation is also another factor. The most glaring example of over population is access to fresh water. The Colorado River, Lake Mead and even the Hoover Dam are all in danger right now. The headlines are everywhere.

These are problems that dont have easy answers, but conservation and "making due with less" will definitely be part of the solution.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Always have at least a year's supply of tissues. Lotion is for amateurs.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
The only way I would keep that much food on hand would be one of those buckets of dehydrated emergency food supplies they sell at Costco from time to time (which claims up to a 20 year shelf life if I remember it correctly). However, from the reviews I saw on it when I looked at it many years ago, the taste of that kind of food is pretty bad.
It's not dehydrated, it's freeze dried. I bought my own freeze dryer a few months ago and have been experimenting with different foods. Done things like chili, clam chowder and stroganoff. Texture is off, but the taste is there. Have also bought rotisserie chicken from costco, shredded and freeze dried it. Came out pretty good. Would be excellent for chicken salad or soups. I'll make a thread later this year when the garden harvest comes in and report on how freezing that went

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
(Here is stab at a balanced view on why the quality of life has declined)

I too have noticed a decline in the standard of living iover the last 50 years. There are a number of things that have changed in that time period, most notably of which is the extreme globalization of supply chains. We dont build things here to the extent to which we used to. Ideally this was supposed to raise the standard of living around the world, and to a large extent it did, but it came at a cost to ours in my opinion. The counter to that is that in return for lower wages over time, costs were also kept down because of low cost overseas goods.

Supply chain risk has now been recognized as a growing problem, affecting everything from chips available for new car sales to basics at the grocery store. Politics, natural disasters and war anywhere on the globe now puts a hurt on world wide quality of life. People just cant get what they need, so if you want something you have to pay a lot for it (ie..inflation!)

I have said this before and I know people disagree, but overpopulation is also another factor. The most glaring example of over population is access to fresh water. The Colorado River, Lake Mead and even the Hoover Dam are all in danger right now. The headlines are everywhere.

These are problems that dont have easy answers, but conservation and "making due with less" will definitely be part of the solution.

Inflation and shrinkflation is also a big part of the problem. Companies are hell bent on always growing profits, so they lower quality and size, and also charge more. So we get less for more. All our bills and costs of living keep going up too but we don't get more for it. We are then expected to keep working harder, more hours, higher end job etc if we want to maintain the same standard of living. Back in the day a family unit could survive with just the dad working a regular job. They could then put the whole family in the station wagon once a year and go to Disneyland. Now both parents have to work, and they can't afford to go to Disneyland.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Inflation and shrinkflation is also a big part of the problem.
I agree that after WWII, inflation increased and there were a lot of jobs just about for anyone who wanted them.

However, ultimately I think the biggest reason for families beginning to go to a 2 income household was because with modernized production capabilities and technology allowed it.

Before people could simply go to a store and buy just about anything they wanted, each family needed one of them to stay home and take care of a lot of time consuming stuff.

My grandmother for example, came from a really poor farming area in Kentucky. She only stayed in school until the 9th grade I believe, and then she was expected to work on the family farm. From farming, livestock, laundry, cooking, etc. it was long hours and grueling work.

Even after she married around 20, she was expected to do those same things at their new home. Pretty much all cooking was made from scratch, she farmed the family garden from planting to harvest, canned insane amounts of produce / vegetables. Basically, anything outside of fixing electronics in the house she was responsible for. I really can't fault any of the later generations who didn't want to do tedious, back-breaking work that pretty much took up the entire day.

Now, I agree their generation was pretty much self-sufficient (out of need), and while I like not being dependent on anyone, it would be really tough for me to try and live like they did.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
For the love of all that is holy, please no politics in this thread. I know some are just chomping at the bit to turn this into a left vs. right argument, but this thread is for people and what steps they have taken to being self-sufficient (if they choose to do so) for a period of time if SHTF in a particular region.

7YKm.gif

After the myriad of issues the U.S. has faced over recent memory (e.g. storms, natural disasters, war, drought, social unrest, Covid, ransomware shutting down gas distribution on the East Coast, water contamination, etc.)

For me, since I grew up pretty poor and went significant periods of time without food, had power, heat, and water disconnected, when I set out on my own (and especially after we had kids), I began to keep extra essentials at home. I also learned first-hand the hard way that with the significant power outages down here, without having a generator, all that chest freezer and main fridge items all went bad and were thrown away (probably I had to throw out around $600 worth of food).

Up until now, I never have gone to the level doomsday preppers, or even what Mormons (are supposed to do), which for me has had me always have at least:

- 2 weeks of non-perishable food

- 2 weeks of drinking water

-Large portable generator (along with extra oil) with enough LP to run for at least a week if ran 24/7

-Chest freezer

-About two weeks worth of charcoal, along with a gas grill that can use the LP tanks on hand.

-Flashlights, lanterns, around a dozen large wax candles, battery power banks for things like cell phones, and multiple kits of rechargeable batteries.

-I keep things for our cars like coolant, brake fluid, oil and air filters, along with at least enough motor oil for an oil change on all four cars,

-Enough heavy clothing / boots / blankets to keep warm in winter.

-Several oil filled radiators that could be run off the generator if needed.

-A first aid kit along with essential things like Pepto, aspirin, Aleve, allergy / sinus medication, and prescription medications to be ok for at least a month.

-Two bags of dry dog food for the puppies.

Some things I'm looking at adjusting going forward based on some near direct hits from hurricanes over the last several years, which caused extended power outages. We also lost power for about a week when a strong thunderstorm had "straight-line winds" took down many power lines (because they runs their lines under trees) across pretty the whole state of NC. We had to wait for electrical crews to come up from states like Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama since it was such a large mess to get cleaned up.

I think going forward from here on out, I'm going to change some things up a bit though. For example, once I get some additional shelves in our garage up soon, I will:

-Take the non-perishable food supplies to a 30 day supply

-Take the drinking water up to a 30 day supply, and supplement it with some bottled Gatorade / Propel, and a little bit of soda / energy drinks.

-I'll be looking at possibly storing some non-ethanol gas here for emergency vehicle needs since the whole ransomware thing almost had us where my wife was close to not being able to get to her hospital because gas was sold out everywhere for multiple days. The problems is, there are not many stations down here who sell that, and I'd likely have to drive about an hour outside of area to country type station.

-I might buy a few more LP tanks for powering the generator out to being able to be powered for 2 weeks if powered 24/7. Thankfully it can last up to 10 years, so that's why I use it over gasoline.

-Keeping a 6 pack of 50/50 oil gas premixed so that I can run things like a chainsaw and leaf blower.

Whew, that was a lot to think through this late. :p
Goes to UsandThem's house with friends armed with assault rifles to steal his stuff when shtf situation arises.

In reality, Costco had a 1yr bucket of emergency food on sale. Lasts for 5yrs.
Almost bought it.
This was 10yrs ago

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
In reality, Costco had a 1yr bucket of emergency food on sale.
That bucket was meant to feed one person for a year? I can't imagine what could go into a 5G(?) bucket that would last a year.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Maybe it's just bulk protein powder. Actually that might not be a bad idea to keep on hand, though it does go bad after about a year. I wonder if you can freeze that stuff?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
.....steal his stuff when shtf situation arises.
Please don't do that. My fat hound would take out any intruder's ankles.

Instead go to @VirtualLarry's apartment and steal computer parts. He still has plenty to choose from that's still new-in-the-box! Who wouldn't like some nice Klipsch speakers to listen to in the end times? ;)

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
I can most of my fish and deer each year. About a week of work makes most of our quick meals for the year. I prefer canned to frozen because of the much longer shelf life and the power goes out here at least once a week as I'm pretty much near the end of the lines and 50 kms of bush. Home canned deer stew seriously kicks ass. Home canned salmon is a completely different thing than store bought. Not sure what they get wrong but damn what a waste.

Reactions: lxskllr

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have the bare minimum supplies:
5 days water (8cups/day =64oz/day)
6pack of Costco canned chicken
1 lsxkllr can opener (aka p38 army opener)

I've lived in a big city all my life.
- Longest power outage was days but in the past decade it's just been hrs.
- For snow in a day, it goes over 20" every 7-10 years. Stuck in the house for a couple days because roads are impassible. (I don't live near a main road)

But a Katrina or Texas event seems more and more likely to happen.
What else should i reasonable have? (I have a 9mm and an assault rifle with 500 rounds each)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
we stock the RV with dry storable food, and rotate through that for freshness. I keep water in it and also freshen that up periodically. The intent was being ready to go camping without a store run, but it doubles nicely for an emergency stash.