Do you hate Fords?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Well, their smalll cars don't interest me at all and they have been problematic to the few freinds that have owned them. However, if you have ever driven something that can be considered a "real car", then you probably have driven a crown vic or a grand marquis. I owned one and it was honestly the best ride I've ever been in. The old cougar (v8, rwd) was excellent also....so sad to see it go. :(

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: CraigRT
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
What Ford do you have Chaotic42?
1991 Ford Festiva. I went from Slidell, LA to Bedford, IN, which is 751 miles on 15 gallons of gas, which is 50 mpg.

:)
the Festiva is made by Kia motors...
I thought that the Festiva was a slightly re-worked Mazda 323 Hatchback (Mazda 121 in other countries)?

ZV

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I dont "hate" Ford but I do not like the interior design or the console layout on any ford. Because of this i will never buy a ford.

oh and I also think that the seats in Fords are the most uncomfortable of any brand.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Ford makes excellent trucks period!

They are totally clueless about the whole car thing though!
All they are good at is niche vehicles like the SVT versions of all their cars.
Crown Victoria is your grandparents car.
Mustang is your kids car or mid-life crisis car.
Focus is kinda nice actually :)
Taurus Sable is actually looking better every model year (especially the sable wagon with leather), but it should be Ford's bread and butter model (like the accord for Honda). They really messed up when the Taurus came out with the curvy shape and the round center console. Also the death of the manual transmission of the Taurus SHO turned many people of ford cars totally.
As for the GT40, i remember when they touted that as a Viper competitor, to be priced at around $70,000 to $80,0000.. Look what happened. That's so lame.. I'm a major car buff.. when i mention this to people, they say it was never meant to sticker at 70-80... how wrong they are.. It was.. lol

My parents owned a Ford Sierra when we were in the UK about 15 years ago, and they also owned a Mazda Navajo (2 door explorer)..
Now, i won't even look at a Ford car until they get their act together.. Ford trucks, now that's a different story.. i really like the Explorer with the 3rd seat option !

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
1991 Ford Festiva. I went from Slidell, LA to Bedford, IN, which is 751 miles on 15 gallons of gas, which is 50 mpg.

haha. as CraigRT pointed out, this car was not made by ford. you have the koreans to thank for your car's reliability. ford just slapped their badge on it. i do see a lot of these still on the road, so kudos to kia. case in point: ford eventually replaced this car with the "fiesta." In the last couple years, i haven't seen a single one on the road. i think they all kicked the the bucket already.

the one actual ford that i've seen that seems to last is the f-body mustangs. i had a friend who had one with like 250,000 on it, and it was more or less in decent shape, although it had to go to the shop a lot. it got totalled, which is the fate that probably awaits most mustangs.

i wouldn't own a ford because of their crappy fit/finish, poor reliability, and ugly styling. but the same goes for many other manufacturers, fords aren't the only cars i wouldn't buy. i don't think there is any company out there that makes the perfect car for me, but there's degrees of suckiness and ford is way up on the suckiness list.
Wrong. The "Festiva" replaced the "Fiesta". The "Aspire" replaced the "Festiva". The Aspire was still made in Korea.

ZV

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
Bet you'd love to see your local cops patrolling the streets in... what? This?
rolleye.gif

yeah, actually, i would love to see that.

let's see: ~3-5 thousand dollars cheaper, comparable driver room, similar edmunds consumer ratings, 32% better fuel economy, 4-wheel independant suspension, tighter turning circle (great for whipping around to chase someone), side airbags, no failed crash tests, designed and made in america, etc, etc. IIRC, even the police versions of the crown vics can't hit 60 in under 9 seconds, while the 4 cylinder accord can make it in 8.9. not fast enough? get the V6, and the prices between the two even out, highway economy is similar, city is still better, and power is better (power to weight is MUCH better). the accord still maintains all the other advantages i just listed.

it will never happen though, all the right-wing wackos would poop their pants if they ever saw "jap iron" with a police badge on it. nevermind that the accord has been built in america for like 20 years. but the other reason it will never happen is Honda doesn't fleet.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

haha. as CraigRT pointed out, this car was not made by ford. you have the koreans to thank for your car's reliability. ford just slapped their badge on it. i do see a lot of these still on the road, so kudos to kia. case in point: ford eventually replaced this car with the "fiesta." In the last couple years, i haven't seen a single one on the road. i think they all kicked the the bucket already.

the one actual ford that i've seen that seems to last is the f-body mustangs. i had a friend who had one with like 250,000 on it, and it was more or less in decent shape, although it had to go to the shop a lot. it got totalled, which is the fate that probably awaits most mustangs.

i wouldn't own a ford because of their crappy fit/finish, poor reliability, and ugly styling. but the same goes for many other manufacturers, fords aren't the only cars i wouldn't buy. i don't think there is any company out there that makes the perfect car for me, but there's degrees of suckiness and ford is way up on the suckiness list.
Wrong. The "Festiva" replaced the "Fiesta". The "Aspire" replaced the "Festiva". The Aspire was still made in Korea.

ZV

i stand corrected, thanks. was the festiva made in korea then?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
i stand corrected, thanks. was the festiva made in korea then?
I'm actually pretty sure that the Festiva was a re-badged Mazda 323 3-door hatchback (Mazda 121 outside the US) with slightly re-worked body panels as I pointed out in an earlier post. I am not sure if the 323 hatchback was built by Kia for Mazda or not.

ZV

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
it will never happen though, all the right-wing wackos would poop their pants if they ever saw "jap iron" with a police badge on it. nevermind that the accord has been built in america for like 20 years. but the other reason it will never happen is Honda doesn't fleet.

Until this year the Vail Colorado Police Dept drove Saabs.

I don't, but a lot of people I know seem to hate Fords (cars) with every fiber of their being. Really, for me I put all the American car companies on the same level; so the dislike leaves me wondering.

Nothing agaianst Quixfire but I hate Fords because I find them much more difficult to work on than any other vehicle.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

yeah, actually, i would love to see that.

let's see: ~3-5 thousand dollars cheaper, comparable driver room,
  • The Accord is NOT full size!
similar edmunds consumer ratings,
  • Econobox consumers are NOT full size consumers
32% better fuel economy, 4-wheel independant suspension, tighter turning circle (great for whipping around to chase someone), side airbags, no failed crash tests, designed and made in america, etc, etc. IIRC, even the police versions of the crown vics can't hit 60 in under 9 seconds, while the 4 cylinder accord can make it in 8.9. not fast enough? get the V6, and the prices between the two even out, highway economy is similar, city is still better, and power is better (power to weight is MUCH better). the accord still maintains all the other advantages i just listed.
  • Larger cars are safer than midsize, even with equal crash test ratings.

RWDs don't have weak ass CV joints, expensive McPhearson struts, or timing belt replacement issues.

RWDs are easier to maintain, since the tranny and engine aren't crammed into the same compartment.

Why do you think departments are so reluctant to switch to the Impala? Eighty-five percent of cop cars on the road are the Crown Vic Police Interceptor.
It will NEVER happen till they build something that's fleet worthy. They've got nothing in a sedan that's as rugged, large, or safe enough.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SilentRavens
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Most of you know that I worked at several Ford Dealerships and even worked for the Ford Motor Company for a few years. I can?t say I hate any one-car company, but have been know to dislike a few car models from various manufactures.

One thing most of you have to remember is once you have you car or truck repaired by a non- Ford Dealership with non-Ford parts it?s no longer a ?Ford vehicle.? Even though the base design stays the same the vehicle has been modified from factory conditions. This does not mean Ford hasn?t built some problematic vehicles, but mostly what I have read in this thread could be related to the repair shop or the components installed more than the company than built the vehicle.

Each car company has had their problems; Ford just seems to scream bad vehicles because some of the more recent publicity brought about with the Firestone Tire Recall and the Tread Act. Ford is the most proactive towards recalls and various other customer satisfaction programs, which keeps their name in the paper. Some car companies, cough Honda cough, have been know to hide recalls until sued by the federal government to take care of the problem. Or even have ?secret recalls? like Toyota?s engine sludging problem, where the consumer was only taken care of after calling Toyota the threatening a lawsuit.

Honest question; If the repair company is 3rd party (non-ford), but still uses OEM parts what is it considered?
The repair still could deviate from original design or function. Even a dealership could do the same and install a non-oem part that ultimately fails. This does not automatically mean the car is a lemon or the brand is junk.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger
I don't, but a lot of people I know seem to hate Fords (cars) with every fiber of their being. Really, for me I put all the American car companies on the same level; so the dislike leaves me wondering.

Nothing agaianst Quixfire but I hate Fords because I find them much more difficult to work on than any other vehicle.
Nothing against Roger, but that's why I like to work on them.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
rolleye.gif

As of late, the P71 Crown Victoria has started sucking. The 2004 model year may bring it back to respectability, with it's fire surpression system and all, though (Wouldn't it just be easier to move the gas tank midship?)

The entire police fleet has started sucking as a result, since the Caprice Classic doesn't exist anymore, and Chevy's Police offering is the freaking Impala.
Why does the P71/P72 Ford Full-size car suck exactly? What has Ford done to the 2004 Model year that will make that big of a difference?

P71/P72 are the Crown Victoria fleet vehicle packages used mostly by police departments and taxi companies.

Fuel tank fires spawned from rear end collisions. Minor accidents like those are a way of life for cops. The engine has also been toned down since 1996 to meet pollution standards or for fuel economy or some such nonsense.

2004 (Or maybe it's 2005) includes a fire surpression system to address the more pressing issue of minor accidents totalling vehicles. When you operate a fleet of hundreds of vehicles, it's a lot easier to do body work on a few than it is to write off a few.
First of the rear end collision resulting in a fire is a tragedy at any level. But what the media has failed to report is the Chevy Caprice had just as many incidents as the Crown Vic until it was discontinued in 1996. Also what the media has failed to report is that drunk drivers at speeds in excess of 80+ mphs caused over 80% of the accidents.

As for the fire suppression system it is an option on the 2004 model.

For more information on the safety of the P71/P72 package click here.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: LAUST
Most of you know that I worked at several Ford Dealerships and even worked for the Ford Motor Company for a few years. I can?t say I hate any one-car company, but have been know to dislike a few car models from various manufactures.

One thing most of you have to remember is once you have you car or truck repaired by a non- Ford Dealership with non-Ford parts it?s no longer a ?Ford vehicle.? Even though the base design stays the same the vehicle has been modified from factory conditions. This does not mean Ford hasn?t built some problematic vehicles, but mostly what I have read in this thread could be related to the repair shop or the components installed more than the company than built the vehicle.

Each car company has had their problems; Ford just seems to scream bad vehicles because some of the more recent publicity brought about with the Firestone Tire Recall and the Tread Act. Ford is the most proactive towards recalls and various other customer satisfaction programs, which keeps their name in the paper. Some car companies, cough Honda cough, have been know to hide recalls until sued by the federal government to take care of the problem. Or even have ?secret recalls? like Toyota?s engine sludging problem, where the consumer was only taken care of after calling Toyota the threatening a lawsuit.
EXACTLY... MODEL BASED!!!

Finally a grownup on the matter to help combat the Fan BOYS.

Sure I love my Silverado it's put up with a lot of conditions, but I would never buy a current GM car cept the vette (same drivetrain I have basically)

As far as Ford, I like their trucks and the Mustang

If I'm going to buy an econobox, it's going to be Honda or Toyota... I'll wait a year and watch the recalls and have a look for myself before I add Mazda 3 ;)
Uh Thanks, I think. ;)

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: yayo
biggest problem I've noticed is the drivers side chair, after time, tends to lean to the right so much so you might as well be sitting sideways.

I don't care for them. I like chev's. Im down with the shelby though. oh yumm
Do you drive a Explorer or a Explorer based vehicle?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've owned two late model Mustang GT's and both were great cars that I drove over 100k miles with little trouble. I also like their trucks. Some of their small cars are junk but then all the small dodge or GM cars are junk also, pretty much all GM cars are junk. My last two cars have been Toyota and Nissan.

I do like the looks of the 2005 Mustang GT though.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
88 ranger, 119500miles. replaced a rear main seal due to being stored for a while. bought it with 64k, has not once left me on the side of the road. replaced normal parts for as old as it is and other regular maintenance. personally, automatically eliminating a vehicle simply and only beacause it is a (insert manufacturer here) is a little rediculous. You're going to have preconceived notions based on heresay or a particular bad experience, but those who say oh never brand X!!!!! no!!!!!!! having no experience or without research is pathetic. All vehicles have their strong and weak points. Some will turn out to be lemons. it happens.

goblue420

Aug 29, 2003
fvck no, fords are the best, most reliable cars on the market, no joke, my dad is the head of the automatic transmission new products division, ive had 3 ford cars so far 01 Focus, 02 Escape, and 03 Explorer, all awesome cars, dont buy anything other than a ford!