Do smokers not realize how bad they smell?

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
There are a few people at work I know are heavy smokers and it kills me to be within 15' of them let alone having to talk to them.

There must be a point you reach in packs a day that really makes you reek because there are a few other light smokers that hardly smell bad at all.

Or maybe it is their brand of cigarettes?

I don't know I just wish they would at least try to cover it up.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Can't really cover it up unless you change your clothes. Besides when you smoke your sense of smell AND especially taste are almost none existent.

Guess how I know? I smoked for many years. When I quit 13 years ago, I was lucky enough to get my smell/taste back within few short months. It was kind of like discovering food again.

Just stay away from them, nothing else you can do.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't mind the way smokers smell for the most part. Some cigarettes stink, but most are ok.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's because some smokers try not to have the smoke blanket them, and other's don't care. There's a guy at work who is a heavy smoker and I've seen him walking outside as he smokes. Looks to me like he is actively trying to keep the smoke from drifting on to him. Others stand in one place and are enveloped in it.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Hah, I wondered that too the other day. Some smokers REEK after they are done and it's sickening to even be around them.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
The ones that reek smoke in their homes and their cars with the windows up. They are always going to smell like it because they're smoking while they do everything, even their laundry.

I am a light smoker, 3 ciggs a day on stressful days at work or just weekends when I'm out drinking and having fun. I never smell very bad at all. But I never, ever would smoke in my house or in my car. I always go out side - and as someone else pointed out, you can walk around and it makes it better

anthero

May 1, 2013
Marlboro and newport smell the strongest. Turkish tobacco is like mid tier. Parliment lights, the smell goes away in 10 minutes unless you chain smoke them, then its permanent

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I can actually smell someone smoking several cars ahead of me when waiting in traffic. It's amazing how they can deal with it.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I can actually smell someone smoking several cars ahead of me when waiting in traffic. It's amazing how they can deal with it.

Yep, EVEN on the highway too! With windows closed and high wind!!!

That shit travels!!!

Ever go to somebody's house that they smoke in? Getting home = change of clothes/wash right away or put it in a plastic bag and wrap it air tight hehe

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Hah, I wondered that too the other day. All smokers REEK after they are done and it's sickening to even be around them.

Fixed that for you. Smokers have a stench that clings to them, their clothing, their car, their home, their work space, etc. Little floating cloud of stank that follows them. Its disgusting.

And most know they stink, but don't really smell it for two main reasons. 1)They've become accustomed to the stench, and 2)smoking kills their senses of smell and taste.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
No, they don't. I spent 18 years smoking, didn't really realize how bad it stinks until I quit. Now it is just repugnant.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
The ones that reek smoke in their homes and their cars with the windows up. They are always going to smell like it because they're smoking while they do everything, even their laundry.

I am a light smoker, 3 ciggs a day on stressful days at work or just weekends when I'm out drinking and having fun. I never smell very bad at all. But I never, ever would smoke in my house or in my car. I always go out side - and as someone else pointed out, you can walk around and it makes it better

You wouldn't know if you smell anyways.

And the same principles apply to you as 1 pack a day person. Your sense of smell/taste is completely off.

Only way to know is to ask the people around you that don't smoke!

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I think smokers are fully aware of their stench and the effect their second hand smoke has on others. This makes them 100% assholes.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'm not a heavy smoker, and I always make sure to position myself so that the smoke blows AWAY from me. Most people can't tell that I smoke.
This is what I do to. I also always carry Ice Breakers breath mints on me aswell that way my breath doesn't smell as bad when I'm done with my break.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They lose a lot of their sense of smell. So no, they dont realize how bad they smell.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
You will get used to just about any smell if you're around it long enough. I'm sure garbage collectors stop noticing the smell of garbage pretty quick. I used to have a friend with a roommate who smoked, and when I visited his apartment, it would just about knock me over at first. But within a couple hours, I barely noticed it, until the next day someone would smell me and ask if I was smoking.

What was actually happening is the smoke stench was transferring from the apartment to my clothes, and from my clothes to the seat of my car, and the next day, the smell would get on my new clothes from the seat. It lingers.

The worst is when they wear tons of cologne to try to cover it up. Just makes it worse.