Do not see thor in 3d!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I didn't mention any Batman films, because IMO batman isn't a superhero.

And Watchmen isn't based on a Comic book, it's a graphic novel.

why not? because he don't h ave any powers? then you need to take out iron man.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
why not? because he don't h ave any powers? then you need to take out iron man.

In the film, Iron Man's suit is an extension of him, without the suit he is nothing, without him the suit is nothing, like Thor without his hammer. Therefore he is a superhero, but war machine isn't.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008

Batman is a superhero, and his superpower is the never-ending bank account. Seems like a bad ass super power to me.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Batman is a super hero in that he cannot not exist. Batman HAS TO EXIST for the DC universe to exist. When he decided to take up the cowl and become Batman he BECAME Batman. The universe just resets if he dies or anything happens.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Batman is a super hero in that he cannot not exist. Batman HAS TO EXIST for the DC universe to exist. When he decided to take up the cowl and become Batman he BECAME Batman. The universe just resets if he dies or anything happens.

I agree with the bold parts.

He has no super powers.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
You guys complaining about 3D better get used to it. 3D is the future and will only become more popular. Yeah the tech sucks right now, but just wait until The Hobbit comes out. They are shooting that at 48FPS which should alleviate all the headaches people experience.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I agree with the bold parts.

He has no super powers.

That is a super power. He can't not exist. He's more powerful than any other character in the entire DC universe for that specific reason alone. Not to mention one could easily make the argument that his detective skills are super human like. Dude practically has spider sense and didn't have to get bit by a radioactive spider.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
You guys complaining about 3D better get used to it. 3D is the future and will only become more popular. Yeah the tech sucks right now, but just wait until The Hobbit comes out. They are shooting that at 48FPS which should alleviate all the headaches people experience.

It's not that I don't like 3d. I just have really only had one good experience with it and that was Toy Story 3. This movie was NOT shot in 3d, so everyone looks like popped out cardboard cut outs on blurry backrounds AND THIS WAS IN IMAX. It was like a salvia trip I had before.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
That is a super power. He can't not exist. He's more powerful than any other character in the entire DC universe for that specific reason alone. Not to mention one could easily make the argument that his detective skills are super human like. Dude practically has spider sense and didn't have to get bit by a radioactive spider.

Well, the universe thing is the same with all key superhero characters, particularly Superman and Spider-Man (for DC and Marvel respectively) and the detective thing... Sherlock Holmes is amazing, but he's not a superhero.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Well, the universe thing is the same with all key superhero characters, particularly Superman and Spider-Man (for DC and Marvel respectively) and the detective thing... Sherlock Holmes is amazing, but he's not a superhero.

No it isn't. Please read "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" to understand what I am saying. Technically this is a super power. He's like Galactus in the fact that he can't not exist.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
No it isn't. Please read "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" to understand what I am saying. Technically this is a super power. He's like Galactus in the fact that he can't not exist.

I haven't read that, I'm more of a Marvel man, but if Superman was removed from the DC universe, there wouldn't really be a DC universe left, the same with Batman, can you explain in more detail what you mean.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Watchmen is the best superhero movie to date, I must say.

Agreed in regards to Watchmen. And I have a high threshold for comic/superhero movies, it seems like it is too easy for studios to make money on these given the builtin fanbase, and thus quality will sometimes suffer from this.

Seeing Thor tomorrow, glad to hear it is getting positive reviews. I wish it was showing in 2D where I am going however.

Thank you to those using the spoiler feature too!

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003

LOL, Graphic Novel vs Comic Books. Alan Moore even says Graphic Novel is a joke, they're comics.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

I mean LITERALLY the DC Universe, no not the real universe we read, but the make believe one that exists in the comics, cannot exist without a Batman. When Bruce Wayne decided to be Batman, he decided to eternally be Batman. He cannot go to heaven, he cannot go to hell. He can only die and be reborn as the Batman. That is a super power.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I mean LITERALLY the DC Universe, no not the real universe we read, but the make believe one that exists in the comics, cannot exist without a Batman. When Bruce Wayne decided to be Batman, he decided to eternally be Batman. He cannot go to heaven, he cannot go to hell. He can only die and be reborn as the Batman. That is a super power.

This I was not aware of. Is there any explanation or justification for this in the comics? I may have to rethink my list. Does this in turn mean he cannot die permanently.

Oct 27, 2007
Let me know if you need more links. They weren't hard to find & there are dozens more.
Ok asshole, let's consider these links in the context of your initial assertion: 3D movies will cause long term damage to your eyesight.

Presents no reliable sources. Presents no firm conclusion. Quote: "more research needs to be done before we can conclude that 3D HDTV is safe, even for adults." Given the meat of the article, he could just as easily have concluded, "more research needs to be done before we can conclude that 3D HDTV is harmful for adults.". Also it's an audiophile website, so guaranteed to be 100% pure unfiltered, undiluted, concentrated bullshit.

Says nothing, NOTHING about long-term effects.

This article is about kids. Who gives a fuck about kids?

Quote: "I won't pretend there's any hard evidence that these transient effects could develop into permanent problems."

Says nothing about long-term effects (except for kids, and fuck them). Quote: "found via an online survey." Derp.

Quote: "The Australian branch of Samsung has put out a health risk warning concerning watching 3D TV on its website. Under the headline “Photosensitive Seizure Warning and Other Health Risks”, it sums up the possible dangers of watching 3D." This is 100% cover-your-ass (which is why the warning label appears only on Autralian websites - it's a regulatory issue). No evidence. Says nothing about long term effects.

In conclusion you're either a dishonest piece of worthless shit, or a category-5 full-blown moron. Or both. Die in a fire.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
This I was not aware of. Is there any explanation or justification for this in the comics? I may have to rethink my list. Does this in turn mean he cannot die permanently.

He gave up his life to be Batman, his conviction created the necessity that there always be a Batman. At least that's how I understand it.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
He gave up his life to be Batman, his conviction created the necessity that there always be a Batman. At least that's how I understand it.

Hmm this intrigues me. If you can verify this with a link I will update my list and forever change my view of the Dark Knight.