Rant Disgusting!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Are you proposing any lawsuit settlement in the US is the same as reparations then? I mean they are similar terms, but if you want to apply it here you have to apply it to all lawsuit settlements.

Read the definition and decide for yourself.

It isn't complex. I think even you could do it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Definitions aside the term “reparations” is currently being used to mostly to refer to repayments to African Americans for slavery.

A simple google search shows the common usage:
581AF05D-18A3-4DB8-966A-85303C2B9DF4.png

Of course those potential reparations are not generally the result of a lawsuit.

So in this case your use of the word reparations in response to a legal settlement between those harmed by the US govt and the govt itself seems to be loaded towards conflating this incident with slavery reparations, something conservatives actively disagree with.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The government is not going to lose these cases. The incompetent Biden administration, who let millions of illegals over run the border just this year and allowed them to roam about the country under the "catch and release" policy, wants to pay all the illegals from 2018 starting at $450,000 each or up to $900,000 for child and parent.

This is f'ing bananas!

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Definitions aside the term “reparations” is currently being used to mostly to refer to repayments to African Americans for slavery.

A simple google search shows the common usage:
View attachment 52167

Of course those potential reparations are not generally the result of a lawsuit.

So in this case your use of the word reparations in response to a legal settlement between those harmed by the US govt and the govt itself seems to be loaded towards conflating this incident with slavery reparations, something conservatives actively disagree with.

"Definitions aside" LOL is this a joke?

The definition is the definition. You and obviously others are the ones attempting to skew the meaning.

I see that none of the real definitions say anything about what you want to imply that reparations are mostly intended for African Americans. Even though it does apply to that scenario it isn't exclusive. But I see that you are trying to make my post about racism and the conservatives is bull shit as usual.

If you don't like the real definition maybe you can get the dictionary publishers to change it to your fantasy definition.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The government is not going to lose these cases. The incompetent Biden administration, who let millions of illegals over run the border just this year and allowed them to roam about the country under the "catch and release" policy, wants to pay all the illegals from 2018 starting at $450,000 each or up to $900,000 for child and parent.

This is f'ing bananas!
Millions of illegals got in the last 10 months and are roaming around? Have any sources besides Tucker Carlson?

What a joke you people are.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
"Definitions aside" LOL is this a joke?

The definition is the definition. You and obviously others are the ones attempting to skew the meaning.

I see that none of the real definitions say anything about what you want to imply that reparations are mostly intended for African Americans. Even though it does apply to that scenario it isn't exclusive. But I see that you are trying to make my post about racism and the conservatives is bull shit as usual.

If you don't like the real definition maybe you can get the dictionary publishers to change it to your fantasy definition.

Are you fucking dumb? The act of offering something is not the same as being compelled by law to give something.

I suggest you get back on your meds as you’ve regressed to stupidity that was once common from you. I’m being serious.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

according to dictionary.com - clearly reparations can be used in the context of general settlements

noun
  1. the making of amends for wrong or injury done: In reparation for the injustice, the king made him head of the agricultural department.
  2. something done or given to make amends: The prosecutor has requested a reparation of $32 million to victims of the crime.
Usually reparations .
  1. compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war:The U.S. government eventually disbursed reparations to Japanese Americans who had been interned during World War II.
  2. monetary or other compensation payable by a country to an individual for a historical wrong:

accordinig to the Oxford dictionaries, the number one definition of reparations:

noun
  1. the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.
    "the courts required a convicted offender to make financial reparation to his victim"

Reparations has been used more in modern times to the payment to countries after war, but as we see from the definitions here, it's also clearly a term meant to convey a general settlement to victims by the perpetrator. It could not be more clear.

Reactions: pcgeek11

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Millions of illegals got in the last 10 months and are roaming around? Have any sources besides Tucker Carlson?

What a joke you people are.

And there are actually up to 60,000 more headed in caravans through Mexico right now because they know Biden wont stop them, expect perhaps a token few so the media will feed us lies telling us that Biden is "tough" on illegals to limit the losses Democrats will take in the midterms, when Republicans will take back both houses.

Meanwhile, checks for $450,000 are on way! Yay for illegal immigration!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And there are actually up to 60,000 more headed in caravans through Mexico right now because they know Biden wont stop them, expect perhaps a token few so the media will feed us lies telling us that Biden is "tough" on illegals to limit the losses Democrats will take in the midterms, when Republicans will take back both houses.

Liar

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Your source of millions of illegals got in the US in the last 10 months is the rantings of an insane person, yourself?

Impressive.

My dog shits more intellectually honest doodies than that thing in your head you call a brain.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

This is f'ing bananas!
The fact you recognize it as bananas should be a red flag that you should figure out how much of what you said is bullshit. Too late to do it before you spread it, but not too late for you to attempt to learn something.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Are you fucking dumb? The act of offering something is not the same as being compelled by law to give something.

I suggest you get back on your meds as you’ve regressed to stupidity that was once common from you. I’m being serious.

Nowhere in those definitions does it say it is limited to freely offering anything. It can be freely offered. It be compelled by loosing a war as outlined in the definitions I posted. Hey in one example it could compelled by a court order ( see below )

Definition of reparation(s)

From the many definitions above from reputable sources:

The making of amends for wrong or injury done: In reparation for the injustice, the king made him head of the agricultural department.

Something done or given to make amends: The prosecutor has requested a reparation of $32 million to victims of the crime.

Usually reparations .

compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war: The U.S. government eventually disbursed reparations to Japanese Americans who had been interned during World War II.

Monetary or other compensation payable by a country to an individual for a historical wrong: The article is about reparations to Black people for the enslavement of their ancestors.

Now is where you should apologize for your insults and admit you were wrong. ( but I know you won't.)

Probably just dish out more insults.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
according to dictionary.com - clearly reparations can be used in the context of general settlements

noun
  1. the making of amends for wrong or injury done: In reparation for the injustice, the king made him head of the agricultural department.
  2. something done or given to make amends: The prosecutor has requested a reparation of $32 million to victims of the crime.
Usually reparations .
  1. compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war:The U.S. government eventually disbursed reparations to Japanese Americans who had been interned during World War II.
  2. monetary or other compensation payable by a country to an individual for a historical wrong:

accordinig to the Oxford dictionaries, the number one definition of reparations:

noun
  1. the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.
    "the courts required a convicted offender to make financial reparation to his victim"

Reparations has been used more in modern times to the payment to countries after war, but as we see from the definitions here, it's also clearly a term meant to convey a general settlement to victims by the perpetrator. It could not be more clear.

So you agree with me on the use of the term.

I don't see why everyone else has their collective panties in a wad.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Exactly. They need to be sent back home and thats bout it. Then charge them for the plane tickets.

I think my first post bears repeating:

One common theme I have noticed among conservatives is a complete lack of empathy, and the ability to show (or only feign) empathy only for people who look like them/they relate to.

They consume media that dehumanizes "others" so often, that they cannot form any empathy whatsoever for those "others."

The OP's issue here is he does not relate to the people here who suffered because he's been propagandized into seeing them as less than human. Less than himself. Compensating them for pain and suffering resulting from inhuman and illegal abuse is as absurd to him as compensating a cow for how they are treated at a slaughterhouse.

The way around this would be to ask them what they would expect if the same thing happened to them.

OP, what would you want if your kids were separated from you by brute force, suffered under severe inhumane conditions FOR YEARS (and maybe even died)?

What would be just compensation for YEARS of separation from, and inhumane abuse of YOUR CHILDREN?

Reactions: hal2kilo and Vic

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Using the term reparations let @pcgeek11 feel better about wanting to shit on refugees. It makes it sound like that somehow they don't deserve to be compensated for the harms inflicted on them by the government. He used a conservative trigger word for a reason in his response.

Trigger word?

Did it trigger you? I guess it did from your silly response.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Nowhere in those definitions does it say it is limited to freely offering anything. It can be freely offered. It be compelled by loosing a war as outlined in the definitions I posted. Hey in one example it could compelled by a court order ( see below )

Definition of reparation(s)

From the many definitions above from reputable sources:

The making of amends for wrong or injury done: In reparation for the injustice, the king made him head of the agricultural department.

Something done or given to make amends: The prosecutor has requested a reparation of $32 million to victims of the crime.

Usually reparations .

compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war: The U.S. government eventually disbursed reparations to Japanese Americans who had been interned during World War II.

Monetary or other compensation payable by a country to an individual for a historical wrong: The article is about reparations to Black people for the enslavement of their ancestors.

Now is where you should apologize for your insults and admit you were wrong. ( but I know you won't.)

Probably just dish out more insults.

You clearly suck at reading.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
That's what I'm screaming...what's wrong with YOU!

Nothing. I don't have a problem with people coming to America to seek a better life. Why would I? That's how my ancestors got here.

Why do you? It's how your ancestors got here too.

Reactions: dank69

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You clearly suck at reading.

Uh, No I don't.

You obviously suck at comprehension however.

Let me help:

Quoted from the definition above.

"Something done or given to make amends: The prosecutor has requested a reparation of $32 million to victims of the crime. "