Disabled Girl Sues For Having To Share Valedictorian...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I like how people claim they are doing it "for others like me" yet they sue for large sums of money. If you're indeed doing this for "others like you" then how about you don't sue for $2 million?!?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
She plagerized in two opinion peices she wrote to the local paper. It had NOTHING to do with her school work.

Whoopie doo. It doesn't look like Harvard cares where it happened, she's still got the stink on her now.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. She should have kept a low profile. Of course people are going to be pissed in the community. If its a private school, tuition goes up to pay lawyer fees/damages. If its a public one, everyone's property taxes go up to pay lawyer fees/damages. Freedom of speech is a b|tch because other people have it too...and they'll use it if you give them a reason too.

I'm not sure I get your opinion on this one Amused, the school didn't take her title away, just asked her to share it with another. Its not like she lost here. Back biting to the end, she throws a law suit whose only purpose is to take something from some one else...not even something she lacks. The only motivation I can see is spite. Lets be realistic here...no one is even going to remember if this girl was sole or co valedictorian 5 years from now. Its a pointless distiction that she doesn't even need.

The rules don't make sense? Meh, what the hell else is new? She's handicapped? Thats sad, go join the special olympics. You don't see some dude in a wheel chair coming out into the French Open and claiming he is undefeated, then claiming he can't play any of the competitors. The whole GPA setup is a bullsh|t mess. Why would she expect perfection from that turd pile of rules and politics.

Yeah, she's got a lot of flack coming her way. Maybe even more then she deserves. But hey, don't poke the hornets nest with a stick unless you're ready to get stung.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: Kipper
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: CaptainKahuna
Really what's the point? They're both ALREADY INTO HARVARD! What more does Valedictorian count for in life? NOTHING!

Either the guy should just say "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, you can have your award" or SHE should drop it "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, and I'll probably DIA (arson) F before I even get there".

Not any more they aren't. Harvard dropped her like she was hot.

I hope she shot herself when she realized what she'd done.

Now she'll just go to Princeton.

Edit: These students are going to make excellent corporate wageslaves if they wrangle over A's and A-pluses.

Yeah, it amuses me how we, the B and C students, will ultimately surpass a large portion of the Straight-A bunch.

:thumbsup:

I know several valedictorians who amounted to nothing in the real world. Why? Because to be valedictorian at a good school you have to study your a$$ off 24/7 and don't develop the other skills you need.

They were complete tools; ask them for any help and they just brush you off. I wasn't even a "threat" to them anyway.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Interesting situation. Somewhat reminds me of my graduating class, where everyone in our class knew that our valedictorian cheated like a mofo, but she was the small, little, innocent girl whose mom worked at the school, so even the teachers looked the other way. The salutatorian clearly was the smartest in our class and most people knew it.

rhairwolf3

Banned
Mar 22, 2005
Originally posted by: skyking
Plan backfired for a nasty greedy Jew.
Keep the racist crap to yourself, please.

Unfortunately, certain groups of people are more likely to instigate this type of incidents because of the way they are brought up. Now if you can't understand the difference between racism and stereotype, then you've been brainwashed to forgo all your defensive instincts as a higher intellectual human being. And you will be forever used as a troll in the proganda of the certain 'people'. And that is pretty pathetic.

PawNtheSandman

May 27, 2005
How come she doesn't want to sue Harvard?

And I guarantee this whole thing has to do with her father the Judge.

It isn't about how well you do in school, it is about who you know, how you bend/cicrumnavigate the rules and whose ass you kiss.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I actually have been in a similar situation. I had a chance to get valedectorian my last year but ended up getting a B in physed because I cut a couple of classes. I was on my HS football and soccer teams too but the teacher was a real ass and interpreted me cutting the class as a sign of disrespect.

Anyhow, I digress, my mom was outraged and wanted to raise hell because that B pretty much ruined my chances of getting valedictorian, but I told her that I don't really care. Looking back at it now - I still don't care. It's such a silly thing, if you have a good head on your shoulders you'll make it anywhere, regardless of what titles and accolades you have.

rhairwolf3

Banned
Mar 22, 2005
Originally posted by: PawNtheSandman
How come she doesn't want to sue Harvard?

And I guarantee this whole thing has to do with her father the Judge.

It isn't about how well you do in school, it is about who you know, how you bend/cicrumnavigate the rules and whose ass you kiss.

You know she'll be suing when her brother gets outta there.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rhairwolf3

Unfortunately, certain groups of people are more likely to instigate this type of incidents because of the way they are brought up. Now if you can't understand the difference between racism and stereotype, then you've been brainwashed to forgo all your defensive instincts as a higher intellectual human being. And you will be forever used as a troll in the proganda of the certain 'people'. And that is pretty pathetic.

Defensive instincts? You have to drop the jew card to defend yourself? Now THAT's pathetic. Greedy yes, but I blame her parents. I am sure they had everything to do with the lawsuit, a well as push her through school.

rhairwolf3

Banned
Mar 22, 2005
Originally posted by: rhairwolf3

Defensive instincts? You have to drop the jew card to defend yourself? Now THAT's pathetic. Greedy yes, but I blame her parents. I am sure they had everything to do with the lawsuit, a well as push her through school.

You're incoherent in your questions.

What is pathetic? my attempt to utilize my stereotype to protect myself in the future against people like her, OR your attempt to dismiss this as an "ISOLATED INCIDENT" which you see more and more to be instigated by certain people.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
What's the big deal about being a co-valedictorian? You're still number 1 in your class which is all most colleges care about. what's the big deal? She needs to stop whining and using her disbality to try to get things handed to her. They should have made her take gym and get an F but they were nice enough to give her othe thigns and now she decides she's the queen.

whiny little baby.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Amused: It was 5 essays.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/852lodkv.asp">
"First" in Her Class </a>
EXCEPT, of course, for the plagiarism. On June 3, the local paper, the Courier-Post, published a brief editor's note explaining that five essays Blair had written for the paper contained "information from sources that was not properly attributed."
"In the process she used large unquoted chunks of other people's writing --a speech given by Bill Clinton, the Family Research Council's i.e. magazine, Christian Teachers Aid, Justice William Brennan, and Steve LaMontagne, an analyst at the Nautilus Institute in Washington, D.C. Sometimes she would change a word in the middle of the sentence. More often she would lift them whole. As a follow-up article in the Courier-Post noted, two of the articles were "composed mostly of material written by others."

I also read she got her admissions revoked from Harvard. GOOD for Harvard. Stupid girl - gets all the special help she "needs" to game the system and GETS greedy. Without all this attention on her suit, I doubt her plagiarism thing comes to light. Reap what you sow!

Edit: This grade inflation is also out of control. I mean Who the f*ck gives out A+ for gym?
Unless, you are superman, no one should be getting A+ in gym.

cjgallen

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2003
I was 3rd in my class, but I wasn't placed in the top 10 (they dropped me to 11) because I was an early graduate. I really didn't give a sh!t, and neither should this stupid b!tch. Whatever you did in High School is meaningless in the real world.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
Search the web for her name. There are many hate sites set up against her.

It's actually very disturbing how hateful many people are towards her.

but in the end, who cares 20 years down the road if you were valedictorian, or if you shared the title? why does some person think she has to be above the others because of a disability?

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I was Valedictorian along with some others and I think it's all B.S. to give such lame titles. Who gives a fvck? It just creates cheating, resentment, jealousy. The Valedictorians just work the system using Daddy as their mentor.

Plus, as someone said, the real achievers in life are the B & C students who start businesses, etc over the corporate weenies who play the "rat game" all of their lives. Valedictorians, for the most part, are greedy, socially retarded, insecure fvkcs--it eventually bites them in the a$$.

The smartest kids in my school were C students...they just could care less about the working the system

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: cjgallen
I was 3rd in my class, but I wasn't placed in the top 10 (they dropped me to 11) because I was an early graduate. I really didn't give a sh!t, and neither should this stupid b!tch. Whatever you did in High School is meaningless in the real world.

I concur...

Unfortunately in our modern culture, we seem to be obsessed with the bottom line. CEO's and CPA's will break the law to please the shareholders (MCI/Worldcom, Enron and Arthur Andersen). It's unfortunate that too few people focus on the big picture (quality of life... IMHO), rather than the quarterly returns or class rank.

Metron

Lothar1974

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2003
I went to school with disabled people and the classes are no where close to the standard of regular classes. I just wonder if this was the same in this situation. Also, get the school to give the credit to her but come on sue the school? What a jack@ss. People like this suck, just like that one case where some kid sued the school system because he wasn't the MVP for hockey. These people need to be shipped out of the USA and see what real life is like! How about excepting that not everything in life will go the way you want! Jerks!!!

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
My high school had two valedictorians this year. They said "Okay," and that was that. No fuss.

You must be a complete ass to complain about sharing that status. Does the fact that you're sharing it mean you CAN'T tell the colleges you're applying to that you're valedictorian? No, it changes nothing of that sort. So what's the big deal?

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Good for Harvard. That money grubbing whiny b!tch got what she deserved. Why not just share it and be done with it?

She may have a case, if the playing field was level here, but her status as "disabled" allowed her to get out of PE, as well as take tests at home - and let's face it, PE is one class that many Valedictorian types are not naturally gifted at.

And IMO it doesn't get much lower than suing a public school district for 2.5 million, especially over something so meaningless and retarded. The people who will feel the effects of that will be students - in the form of reduced quality of education when budget cuts are made in the school to pay for this bullsh!t, as well as the taxpayers who will inevitably have to eat most of the cost. I don't think this suit should have been brought at all, but if it HAD to be done - i.e. she really wanted to "make her point" - she should have sued for her own court costs, and nothing more. Instead, she came off as a whiny crybaby with a frivolous lawsuit who needs a lesson on how the real world works.

And now it comes back and bites her in the ass. Good. I can completely understand the negativity felt towards her.