Disabled Girl Sues For Having To Share Valedictorian...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
That she was accommodated under the ADA shouldn't make her accomplishments any less worthy.

Didn't say that they were any less worthy, only that someone who hasn't been diagnosed with a disability shouldn't have his accomplishments undermined so someone else can have the whole spotlight to themselves.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
That she was accommodated under the ADA shouldn't make her accomplishments any less worthy.

Didn't say that they were any less worthy, only that someone who hasn't been diagnosed with a disability shouldn't have his accomplishments undermined so someone else can have the whole spotlight to themselves.

The whole point of the system is to celebrate the best. Not many of the best. But one.

She had the highest GPA based on the system the SCHOOL used to judge the students.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
Seriously guys, google her name and take a look at the number of hate sites set up against her.

It's so disturbing, it actually sways me to her side.

I don't agree with those sites either, but just because she's being unfairly attacked doesn't make her right.

It doesn't make her wrong, either. She did have the higher GPA.

I agree, but Harvard is perfectly within its bounds to rescind her admission. A person who resorts to high-priced lawsuits to get what she wants is probably not the type of person Harvard wants in its classes.

Then again, I know plenty of people here at U-Michigan who would do exactly the same thing.

:roll:

Yeah, with the number of lawyers Harvard Law School puts out, I can see how they would have such high standards for something like this. :roll:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Old news. Is there an update as to where she's at now?

Well, she didn't attend graduation, the Board of Education reportedly settled for $60,000, and Harvard did rescind her admittance . here

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
retarded

they could have calculated his GPA without phy ed and see if it was higher / the same as hers

and if was higher he should get sole valedictorian and if it wasn't than she should get it

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: allisolm

Well, she didn't attend graduation, the Board of Education reportedly settled for $60,000, and Harvard did rescind her admittance . here

hahahaha...fvcking bitch got caught plagerizing. Cvnt.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

For opinion pieces she wrote to the local paper. It had nothing to do with her school work.

And, again, why such hate towards her?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003

For opinion pieces she wrote to the local paper. It had nothing to do with her school work.

Because she wants special treatment because she is disabled. Thats fine but then she takes advantage of the situation and refuses to accept two valedictorians even though more than likely, she wouldn't have been one if it weren't for her condition. That *really* pisses me off.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Because she wants special treatment because she is disabled. Thats fine but then she takes advantage of the situation and refuses to accept two valedictorians even though more than likely, she wouldn't have been one if it weren't for her condition. That *really* pisses me off.

It's not her fault the SCHOOL'S system judged her GPA to be higher while accomodating her according to the LAW of the ADA.

The whole point of the system is to reward the highest GPA. That's based on the SCHOOL'S system of judging that number.

Her hard work and accomplishments should not be discounted because of her disability.

The school should award her the V, and change is scoring system if it believes it to be unfair.

But as it is, according to the EXISTING rules, she won. It's not quite fair to change the rules after the fact, now is it?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mchammer187
retarded

they could have calculated his GPA without phy ed and see if it was higher / the same as hers

and if was higher he should get sole valedictorian and if it wasn't than she should get it

Possibly... but at the same time he was taking phys ed. classes, she could have taken classes on a 5 point scale... so it was working in both directions.

All in all, this is bullcrap. They should have just made a decision based on who participated more in student activities or something. A student deserving of valedictorian isn't just a bookworm, they're an active member at the school.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
i agree with the girl, she shoulda been the only valadictorian. she had the highest gpa. i hope the school has tp pay, i bet it doesnt make the same mistake again

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Back in my High School, things were VERY competitive. My weighted GPA of 4.16 barely made the top 10% cut off. The #1 and #2 student achieved all A's and maxed out in many classes and their GPA differed by a mere 0.005. But guess what, the higher scorer was #1 and the other remained ranked #2. I don't see why the school made them share the title.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
God I freaking hate GPA wars.

This kind of crap happens at my hs too--well, not lawsuits, but people go above and beyond the call of fairness to up their GPAs.

For example, there are lots of students who take physical education during the summer so they can take more honors/ap classes...moreover a physed class taken during the summer doesn't count on your GPA.

The asians all take Chinese as a "foreign language" even though many are already fluent.

Then there's the cheating...

All of this adds up to unbelievably inflated GPAs. It's sad when the top people in your class aren't there because they're smart, but rather because they didn't have to take 'regular' language classes (chinese), cut out physical education, and so on.

Really p!sses me off. I'm just glad I'm out of there now.

On the matter of this girl...her GPA is not higher than Mirkin's. If they factor physed into hers or factor it out of Mirkin's I'm sure that the boy will come out ahead. The school system isn't changing the rules after the fact--they need to compensate for the advantages they awarded her as a disabled person.

Valed isn't a matter of who tried the hardest...it's who performed the best. School ranking is a meritocracy (in theory), and someone should not be boosted b/c of disability, race, or anything of that sort.

Though I'm glad Harvard kicked her out for plagerism. I f*cking hate cheaters...much more so than grade grubbers.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eLiu

Though I'm glad Harvard kicked her out for plagerism. I f*cking hate cheaters...much more so than grade grubbers.

She plagerized in two opinion peices she wrote to the local paper. It had NOTHING to do with her school work.

And she WAS judged, by the school, and according to their rules, to have the highest GPA.

She followed the rules, and won the game accordingly. Only AFTER THE FACT is the school trying to apply new rules and force her to share what she rightfully won according to their rules.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003

It's not her fault the SCHOOL'S system judged her GPA to be higher while accomodating her according to the LAW of the ADA.

The whole point of the system is to reward the highest GPA. That's based on the SCHOOL'S system of judging that number.

Her hard work and accomplishments should not be discounted because of her disability.

The school should award her the V, and change is scoring system if it believes it to be unfair.

But as it is, according to the EXISTING rules, she won. It's not quite fair to change the rules after the fact, now is it?

You're 100% correct; but you've got to remember that most people here are bitter, a good majority are underachievers, and an even greater majority are jealous of anyone's success.:) At least you've got the balls to stand up and disagree.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
/me checks the humanity filters:

Yep, she's due to be euthanized when the rise comes.

(No, not because she did well in school, not because she's disabled, but because she whined about something that DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL).

By the time you're told you're valedictorian, you've already got your acceptance letters. She had hers from Harvard. "High school valedictorian" isn't something you put on your resume, not that she wouldn't be able to put it on there anyway because she actually got it. No, she is to be euthanized because she threw a fit over something that DOES NOT FVCKING MATTER. We had dual valedictorians this year. They hate each other (supposedly following a drunken sexual encounter the night after finals in 11th grade). THEY SURE AS FVCK ARE NOT SUING EACH OTHER/THE SCHOOL/INNOCENT BYSTANDERS (and one of their parents are even lawyers).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: eLiu
All of this adds up to unbelievably inflated GPAs. It's sad when the top people in your class aren't there because they're smart, but rather because they didn't have to take 'regular' language classes (chinese), cut out physical education, and so on.
apparently it was really bad in texas when the top ten percent rule was in place. not only would they do the things you described to get into the top ten percent, but people would also move from their suburban school to an inner city school for their senior year. that was a wreck of a system.

May 31, 2001
"For instance, Blair took Latin 1 in middle school, over the course of 7th and 8th grades. Unusually, she then retook Latin 1 as a freshman--and got an A+. During her sophomore year, Blair was enrolled in AP U.S. History and was taking it at the school with a teacher whose policy is to never give A+ marks. But she dropped the course and finished it the following year at home, with a different instructor. She got an A+. Blair was enrolled in gym class in 9th and 10th grades (receiving an A and A+, respectively). Just weeks before the end of her junior year, she received a doctor's note waiving her from gym altogether. Still, an A+ for the class showed up on her transcript. Her father wanted the grade removed, and since she shouldn't have been graded for a waived class, it was. As Kadri explained to the court, an A+ in gym is worth only 4.3, and thus would have lowered her cumulative GPA, which was well above 4.3 by that point."

That is rather pathetic.

Last Rezort

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Disabled people should be rolled off cliffs, all at sunset, all on christmas.
That way we wont have to put in ramps, or push the gimpies around, and it would be fun to watch too.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Reminds me of my time in high school I became salutatorian the last semester that counted towards ranking. It really pissed the girl off because she was rank number 2 for almost 4 years then lost it. Some teachers were very upset over this but every thing was ok. (my final GPA was only 4.15) And Yes at my School PE Was Only Worth 4.0 and it was so easly.

CaptainKahuna

Platinum Member
May 19, 2002
www.billda.com
Really what's the point? They're both ALREADY INTO HARVARD! What more does Valedictorian count for in life? NOTHING!

Either the guy should just say "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, you can have your award" or SHE should drop it "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, and I'll probably DIA (arson) F before I even get there".

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
wow i find that GPA inflating stuff very disturbing also...In my high school i do not remember anyone besides those who failed that took phys ed during the summer. As for the chinese thing, i totally agree. During graduation there was a 500$ scholorship for the highest average in Spanish AP, i had the second highest. The first highest was a girl who spoke english as her second language, her first was yes you guessed it...spanish!...her mother and her sister and her when she was 2 yrs old, mocved from panama to puerto rico to NJ. She knew spanish extremely well becuase that is the only thing her mother still speaks to this day, she knew english very well though also becuase she learned both at a young age. Anyway she got the scholorship and both my parents and I were extremely pissed becuase i worked very hard in spanish all four years, always taking it to the next level outside of school and things, because of my love for it and striving to grasp fluency...anyway we did not do anything about it though...i let it pass and i cooled down that summer before college becuase it didnt really matter....she was a friend of mine and she was a nice girl though, anyway that's just something that happened in my school....but the competition is so fierce these days...and now you have the new fvcked up SAT's to boot...

Also about he plagerizing, IT DOES NOT MATTER if it was out of school, she still should not get accepted into Harvard like she did because
1. Plagerizing is illegal, she is lucky she did not get charged pressed
2. if she did it once and twice, why would she not do it again?
3. She probably did do it in her school work, she just never got caught
4. plagerizing is morally wrong and harvard can decide if candidate meet up to the high "moral" standards at Harvard

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CaptainKahuna
Really what's the point? They're both ALREADY INTO HARVARD! What more does Valedictorian count for in life? NOTHING!

Either the guy should just say "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, you can have your award" or SHE should drop it "Fvck it, I'm into Harvard, and I'll probably DIA (arson) F before I even get there".

Not any more they aren't. Harvard dropped her like she was hot.

I hope she shot herself when she realized what she'd done.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: CaptainKahuna

the other guy should not be blamed here, he did not do anything or is one that is envolved in the suits to my knowledge, the only reason this continues is that they wanted money for the "damages"

Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
"For instance, Blair took Latin 1 in middle school, over the course of 7th and 8th grades. Unusually, she then retook Latin 1 as a freshman--and got an A+. During her sophomore year, Blair was enrolled in AP U.S. History and was taking it at the school with a teacher whose policy is to never give A+ marks. But she dropped the course and finished it the following year at home, with a different instructor. She got an A+. Blair was enrolled in gym class in 9th and 10th grades (receiving an A and A+, respectively). Just weeks before the end of her junior year, she received a doctor's note waiving her from gym altogether. Still, an A+ for the class showed up on her transcript. Her father wanted the grade removed, and since she shouldn't have been graded for a waived class, it was. As Kadri explained to the court, an A+ in gym is worth only 4.3, and thus would have lowered her cumulative GPA, which was well above 4.3 by that point."

That is rather pathetic.

yes that is, it definately shows she should not get it then because she clearly took advantage of her disability and shoudl not even be a co-v.