Hexxoid

Mar 14, 2018
Hi guys.

I received a Dell Optiplex 390 about a year ago, and have added more RAM, a GPU, and a better HDD to make it a gaming PC and its been working out great until recently. This is not a HUGE problem, but I would like to fix it if it's possible.

I recently purchased a new Corsair case for it, and realized that all the Dell case connections were proprietary.

Oops.

After looking some stuff up online, however, I was able to cut/splice the wires to the front IO, specifically the power button and LED. I also had to splice a case fan to my PSU, since my MB doesn't have enough juice to power it for whatever reason. and it didn't have a molex. Turns out my work proved to be successful, as my PC booted up, the fans spun, and the LED turned on.

However...

Whenever I turned on my PC from a shut- down or hibernation state, it would display three errors something like this:
-Previous fan failure
-Hard drive fan failure
-Front IO connection failure
-Power button failure

I can still use my PC just fine, its just annoying that I have too see these errors every time I turn on my PC, then strike 'F1'. I have read online that you can connect the original io, power button, e.t.c., however, it would look too messy, and when I tried it the error didn't go away, even after clearing the BIOS log memory. On top of that, I would rather press F1 every time my PC turns on that have an ugly setup in my case. Also, I don't wanna start splicing a whole bunch more wires, as I do not want my MB to die for no reason, and I am on a strict budget.

So I guess my question is: Is there any way to disable the stupid startup BIOS errors on my DELL motherboard?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You can look in your BIOS and see if Dell gives you those options, but probably not likely. They usually lock many of the settings to make it "idiot proof".

I have the same thing with an HP PC I moved into a Fractal Design case. I don't get the IO warning (standard connections), but the motherboard cannot read any other fan besides the 80m OEM one that came in the system. Every time I shut it down, when I boot it up, I get the fan warning and have to hit F1 to continue.

Hexxoid

Mar 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply!

Yea it isn't that big of a deal, but again, if it can be fixed easily, I will fix it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the reply!

Yea it isn't that big of a deal, but again, if it can be fixed easily, I will fix it.

The options to do so were disabled on my OEM HP motherboard, so the only thing you can do is enter your BIOS and look for the option to disable those warnings. It's the only thing you can do to get rid of those messages (besides hooking it back to the original configuration).