DiRT 2 will not have Full DX11 Support

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Why is this even news? Some of you were actually expecting different? Are you serious?

You're joking, right? A game has to use EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE DX11 CALL in order to be labeled a "full" DX11 game? By your definition, there has never been a "full" DX game produced.

Ever.

AFAIK, if a game uses DX11 features, then it is a DX11 game. That's it. Obviously some will use more DX11 features than others, but they can all be labeled as DX11 games. The whole notion of a "full" DX11 game is rather silly.
Bingo. People splitting hairs need return to Earth. Dirt 2 is a console game (DX9), there's no way they're going to rebuild it to support DX11 from the ground up and every feature it has available. I can't think of a game off the top of my head that's done that for a new API, never mind a console port.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
AMD payed $1 million and delayed the game several months. I was hoping it would be a full DX11 game so we could see what all the fuss was about. I thought this was going to fully utilize DX11 and not just be a partial patched in function.

Sadly this is what went on with DX10/10.1 and why it was probably under utilized.

Uh, we have plenty of DX11 gaming discussion here. Such as this thread...
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2025261

Along with several others. No conspiracy theory needed (other than why you complained here and not in the other threads).

Either way I wonder if we will see the game this year and what it has to offer as far as DX11. Still a shame that after such a long delay they are just patching it.

Is several months 'such a long delay'? There are features that will only be able to be used with DX11 and a DX11 capable card... DX11 could be utilized more, but given that the delay is just a few months and that DX11 has only been available for a short time, I'm not sure what you were really expecting, or if this is just a troll thread to some how knock DX11 because AMD has the only DX11 cards? But we all know that you would never stoop to that level.

What I'm curious to see is if DX11 will be unavailable on Fermi through some sort of vendor lock out bit of coding, AMD paid money for the DX11 code afterall and obviously DX11 work is being done on AMD parts. You'd support that, right?

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Is several months 'such a long delay'? There are features that will only be able to be used with DX11 and a DX11 capable card... DX11 could be utilized more, but given that the delay is just a few months and that DX11 has only been available for a short time, I'm not sure what you were really expecting, or if this is just a troll thread to some how knock DX11 because AMD has the only DX11 cards. But we all know that you would never stoop to that level.

What I'm curious to see is if DX11 will be unavailable on Fermi through some sort of vendor lock out bit of coding, AMD paid money for the DX11 code afterall and obviously DX11 work is being done on AMD parts. You'd support that, right?
lol

And AC2 is delayed for the PC as well, how come he's not bitching about it not having DX11?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
You guys don't quit. What wound? Nah. This is just the way you wish to perceive this thread.
No matter what Wreckages "intentions" were, and when you're all done speculating about his "intentions", maybe you guys can knuckle down and talk about the subject matter. WOW, what an idea huh?

That would require there to be subject matter.
What is the subject matter? The only "subject matter" is whether Dirt 2 is a DX11 game or not, which is clearly is, discussion over.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Why is this even news? Some of you were actually expecting different? Are you serious?

Bingo. People splitting hairs need return to Earth. Dirt 2 is a console game (DX9), there's no way they're going to rebuild it to support DX11 from the ground up and every feature it has available. I can't think of a game off the top of my head that's done that for a new API, never mind a console port.

Good point.

What confuses me is why AMD would pay a significant amount of money for a game like Dirt2 anyway. It's definitely not a top-tier game, and I can't imagine someone buying a 5870 "just to see the eye candy" in Dirt2. I can just imagine: "Look! I just spentz $400 on a new Gee-Pee-you to see more dirtz! It's amarzing!!"

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I love how out of the blue you Nvidia people invented the term "full DX11 game" and "not full DX11 game" with the exclusive purpose to bash a game that AMD put money behind. Are you people insane? Just can it already.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Why do I get the feeling you guys did not want this thread posted, ever. ??
I, as well as yourself and don't deny it, thought this was going to be full DX11.

And that tongue of yours. You just can't bite it can you? I don't call you ridiculous names because of your preference, do I? Time to grow up a little.

This topic is blatantly obvious. The only reason I (and likely many others here) would have preferred it not posted is because we're sick of seeing Wreckage's bullshit: Pulling absolutely anything ATI and twisting its context to make Nvidia look good. You're right, I don't deny the subject matter; but this is (pardon the french here) fucking retarded that we have to go through an academic lesson of what "full DX11" means. It will be one of the first games out that requires DX11. Does any game support the full feature set of any API? Do most games also have a reduced compatibility mode (such as current DX10 games also supporting DX9)? Does that not make those games "full DX10 supported" titles? No, all it does is prove Wreckage is yet again trolling and pushing PR marketing crap agenda as usual.

As for the secondary topic - keys, I apologize to you specifically, as your post was civil, though subtle. But academically speaking - does DiRT 2 support DX11? Yes? Okay, then it's a DX11 game. We've already discussed the academics of "full API support", and it's a non-issue. So what does that really make this thread? A Wreckage/Nvidia troll thread.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I don't see how this turned into an ATi vs nvidia thing. The main post was by someone that fully supports nvidia, that should not even matter. Maybe the nvidia person that posted this is a little disappointed he does not get to see a full DX11 game on what ATi has out now to look forward to what it may do on his preferred nvidia in a few months.

Some of the posts that appear on here are just disappointing to say the least.

Edit:

Just to quote the original post

Notice how he did not say "their" or solely refer to ATi.

Exactly. This game is not even out yet, so it won't run on anybody's hardware. Some people just like to stir up trouble and turn it into a flame war. I love all gaming technology. I really do want to see what DX11 is fully capable of. NVIDIA is going to have a DX11 card soon, so I really don't see how this could be construed as something that may only effect one company. Also I did not write the article so I'm not sure why I'm the target.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Exactly. This game is not even out yet, so it won't run on anybody's hardware. Some people just like to stir up trouble and turn it into a flame war. I love all gaming technology. I really do want to see what DX11 is fully capable of. NVIDIA is going to have a DX11 card soon, so I really don't see how this could be construed as something that may only effect one company. Also I did not write the article so I'm not sure why I'm the target.

You don't know how this turned into ATI vs NVIDIA?

Are you telling me this person here, of post number 5 isn't you?

AMD payed $1 million and delayed the game several months. I was hoping it would be a full DX11 game so we could see what all the fuss was about. I thought this was going to fully utilize DX11 and not just be a partial patched in function.

Sadly this is what went on with DX10/10.1 and why it was probably under utilized.

Notice that up until that point in this thread nobody talked about NVIDIA or ATI.

I bet you weren't bitching about when Batman:AA was being delayed to have that extraordinary, completely new state of the art technology called Anti-Aliasing plus some physX components (but I guess it isn't a full physX game because not all of the physics effects are GPU accelerated).

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Notice that up until that point in this thread nobody talked about NVIDIA or ATI.
Nothing I stated there equates to Nv vs ATI.

I bet you weren't bitching about when Batman:AA was being delayed to have that extraordinary, completely new state of the art technology called Anti-Aliasing plus some physX components (but I guess it isn't a full physX game because not all of the physics effects are GPU accelerated).

It was delayed by weeks and not months. We are talking an order of magnitude here. Besides I'm not even concerned about the delay, I just wanted to see a full DX11 game and the article I posted suggests a gimped game. I may just pick up the console version now as it's been out since the beginning of September.

But please keep trying to make something out of nothing if it makes you happy. :\

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Lol you want to see a full DX11 game? Good luck with that, probably wont happen until 2011

What a retarded thread, or, a retarded article to begin with... Been said many times but did anyone actually expect youd have to buy a DX11 card to play this? Codemasters would be shooting themselves in the foot if they pulled something like that

Nobody expected a DX11 only game, and we all know if it were Nvidia backing Codemasters on this, this thread would be praising what DX11 features Dirt 2 has instead of bashing it for not being "full DX11"

Move along nothing to see here

Andrmgic

Jul 6, 2007
To me, "full DX 11" would be designed from the ground up to take advantage of DX 11, which is unreasonable to expect of a console port that has only been delayed 3 months.

This is a game with DX 11 exclusive features, which is still impressive. This is one of the first times that a game released within a few months of a dx api has implemented features of the new api.

Imho, this is a good step forward for everybody.

Hopefully by the time nvidia ships Fermi we will start hearing about some games that were designed for DX 11.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
/raise hand

Can anyone tell me what Dx11 feature is used in Dirt2, and what is not?

I guess the point of interest here is whether Dirt 2 will look better with a Dx11 card or not. If it isn't not look better with Dx11 card, then does it produce better FPS with Dx11 card. If it isn't, then is there a the point of having a Dx11 title?

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I don't see how this turned into an ATi vs nvidia thing. The main post was by someone that fully supports nvidia, that should not even matter. Maybe the nvidia person that posted this is a little disappointed he does not get to see a full DX11 game on what ATi has out now to look forward to what it may do on his preferred nvidia in a few months.

Some of the posts that appear on here are just disappointing to say the least.

Edit:

Just to quote the original post

Notice how he did not say "their" or solely refer to ATi.

I think the key to all of the posts ATI / Nvidia bickering is the context of this post. This post in and of itself wouldn't have blown up. Seeing the posting history, "context" of Wreckage's posts, gives people insight towards his intentions. This post alone would have come and gone. Unfortunately for Wreckage, he seems to be reaping what he has sown and rightfully so.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
First, let's get this little thing out of the way. We all know why this thread was started. FUD against AMD/ATI.

Second, I didn't see anyone complaining about DX7 or DX8 games with some DX9 features tacked on. They were called DX9 games. This whole "full DX.version" is just a question of semantics used to crap on ATI. In fact, I'm surprised that some of you are taking up the torch of the "full DX.version" and "not full DX.version" campaign. Are some of you really that surprised that a game with a few extra months tacked on to add DX11 isn't going to use the full gamut of DX11 features?

This whole argument reminds me of the marketing campaign by Sony on the "full HD" and "not full HD" status of TV's. Both 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all HDTV resolutions. There is no "full HD" and "not full HD" designations. Just like there is no "full DX11" and "not full DX11" designations.

I'm not saying the information should be suppressed. But is it really that surprising DiRT2 doesn't use all of DX11's features? The same exact things happened in previous upgrades of the DX line of API's. The same exact thing happened with games that tacked on PhysX features. Does that mean because previous DX games are not "full DX.version" games because they didn't use every single feature available. Should we now say there are zero "full PhysX" games because the games didn't use every PhysX feature possible and didn't use PhysX to accelerate all of the physics?

Once again, it's ok to mention this information. I don't think it's any secret. Nor should it be suppressed. It's also somewhat obvious if one just thought things through. It's only been the same with every previous DX iteration after all. The issue is that it's been twisted into this FUD campaign against ATI.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
/raise hand

Can anyone tell me what Dx11 feature is used in Dirt2, and what is not?

I guess the point of interest here is whether Dirt 2 will look better with a Dx11 card or not. If it isn't not look better with Dx11 card, then does it produce better FPS with Dx11 card. If it isn't, then is there a the point of having a Dx11 title?
Running DX11 can cut performance nearly in half.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...DX-11-Update-Radeon-HD-5970-results/Practice/

First, let's get this little thing out of the way. We all know why this thread was started. FUD against AMD/ATI.
Yes, because this won't effect people who buy DX11 NVIDIA cards. Sure is a lot of pot calling the kettle black here. I'm not even sure what the AMDzone reps are upset about as this will effect people who buy both cards.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Nothing I stated there equates to Nv vs ATI.
If your posts were made by someone else, you would have a point. Just don't expect other people to read your posts as if it was your first post.

I just wanted to see a full DX11 game and the article I posted suggests a gimped game. I may just pick up the console version now as it's been out since the beginning of September.

Are you telling me that the DX9 path of that game looks better and so DX11 is "gimped"?

You can say that you don't really care about the looks of the game. But that is another story.

Maybe those 50% performance hits when running the DX11 path its what requires the delay?

Which, btw, will benefit everyone with a DX11 card, be it NVIDIA or ATI.

EDIT: I like this bit

I may just pick up the console version now as it's been out since the beginning of September

So if Dirt2 was using "every single DX11 feature" and was releases for the PC already, how would you play it? On your 5850/5870?

Last edited:

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I guess the real question is why Wreckage is allowed to post in the first place and not be banned. But there is nothing in the TOS about knowingly lying and deceiving people to make one brand seem superior to another. For the majority it really doesn't matter what he posts, we all know it's lies. But for new and less technical members they won't know the posts are full of lies and may even make a purchase based upon false information presented as truth.

I know Anand probably never uses these forums and he's busy enough but if he seen the way his forums are run he'd likely be very dissapointed.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I guess the real question is why Wreckage is allowed to post in the first place and not be banned.

That's a question a lot of ATI fans ask. In fact why is NVIDIA even allowed to be discussed at all. :rolleyes:

It's not the fact that I posted it. Look at the dozens of threads about Physx, CUDA, Batman AA, that I did not start and you will see the same angst. :thumbsdown: But I know it's just an attempt by the Zone to derail and I will ignore the rest of these types of comments.

Wanting someone banned because you are a fan of different company. It's kind of a sick train of thought.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
So if Dirt2 was using "every single DX11 feature" and was releases for the PC already, how would you play it? On your 5850/5870?

Considering the game is not even out yet on the PC, I could not play it on any video card.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Considering the game is not even out yet on the PC, I could not play it on any video card.

Yes, you can't.

And if it was out already it would be DX9.

Can't have all.

It's not the fact that I posted it. Look at the dozens of threads about Physx, CUDA, Batman AA, that I did not start and you will see the same angst. :thumbsdown: But I know it's just an attempt by the Zone to derail and I will ignore the rest of these types of comments.

And this is why you have no credit among people when you talk anything related to ATi or NVIDIA.

You are in a crusade to save the forums of the evil zoners that invaded it.

Yes, there are ATi fans out there. I just hope they don't start calling you nvidiot (I think moderation should look at the use of terms like zoners, because I don't see any difference from zoner and nvidiot and I'm not sure if we, users of the forums, want to see this forum turn into something like that).

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Yes, you can't.

And if it was out already it would be DX9.

Can't have all.

And this is why you have no credit among people when you talk anything related to ATi or NVIDIA.

You are in a crusade to save the forums of the evil zoners that invaded it.

Yes, there are ATi fans out there. I just hope they don't start calling you nvidiot (I think moderation should look at the use of terms like zoners, because I don't see any difference from zoner and nvidiot and I'm not sure if we, users of the forums, want to see this forum turn into something like that).
Too late, it's already done. I don't think there's a single regular that takes his posts seriously or for any merit. Honestly, some of you can try to be as coy as you like, it's painfully obvious what agenda you're pushing.

Just keep the posts lined up so you can refer to them when they all have techgasms whenever Fermi is released - OMG DX11 IS T3H BEST.

Dirt 2, just like STALKER: CoP, BF: BC2, Battleforge, and more are all DX11. Go cry in the corner because your camp doesn't support it yet. Don't waste forum space.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Too late, it's already done. I don't think there's a single regular that takes his posts seriously or for any merit. Honestly, some of you can try to be as coy as you like, it's painfully obvious what agenda you're pushing.

Just keep the posts lined up so you can refer to them when they all have techgasms whenever Fermi is released - OMG DX11 IS T3H BEST.

Dirt 2, just like STALKER: CoP, BF: BC2, Battleforge, and more are all DX11. Go cry in the corner because your camp doesn't support it yet. Don't waste forum space.

But DX11 might just be "T3H B3ST". I don't really know why you think this is an anti-ATI DX11 thread. Maybe Wreckage meant it to be that, I don't know, don't care. What you can take away from it is this: Dirt2 is a DX9 console port with DX11 features added onto it. Hey, this is something I didn't know until today, so I learned something from the thread if nothing else. And dude, even if Wreckage meant it to be a DX11 or lack thereof stab at ATI, I think it doesn't make sense as Nvidia's DX11 parts are just around the corner.

At any rate, tremendous amount of angst over something so little. Wouldn't be anything if you guys didn't give it soooooo much energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.