Difference between a turbo and supercharger?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Given enough room in the engine bay, could you have both a super charge and a turbo charger on a car? A belt driven super charger that shoves all the air into the chamber at between like 100-4k rpm and then a large turbo that takes off at like 4000 rpm?

EDIT: Found this on google: http://www.supercars.net/garages/PeP/76v2.html

A rally car with both a turbo and supercharger.
learn about compression/timing/fuel for starters before you jump into that sh!t :confused: ;)

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Given enough room in the engine bay, could you have both a super charge and a turbo charger on a car? A belt driven super charger that shoves all the air into the chamber at between like 100-4k rpm and then a large turbo that takes off at like 4000 rpm?

EDIT: Found this on google: http://www.supercars.net/garages/PeP/76v2.html

A rally car with both a turbo and supercharger.

Definately possible, but in practice it mostly useless in my opinion. A properly designed turbo or supercharger would probably make quick work of it.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
I didn't have time to read the entire thread, but here are my opinions about the issue.

Turbo - not very efficient at low RPMs (point already noted), but can produce much more boost due the the "ram jet" effect. You'll have to consider cooling, fuel delivery, ECU programming.

Supercharger- efficient at low RPMs, restricted by higher RPMs since it's belt driven, can be compensated by changing pulley set ups (still restricted, just better performance with the same RPMs), generally work better on larger displacement engines.

Best- Free-bearing Turbos, a combination of both, where the induction of air would be done by the Supercharger at low RPMs, once the engine is at higher RPMs and the exhaust can spool faster than the belt, the impeller would spin faster and break away from the restriction of the belt driven Supercharger (fiction?). Also cost you beaucoup moolah.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
having either one of those would make ur car be on steroids. i wish i had money to buy a turbo for my protege5, their $3,700!

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
heating the air is the last thing you want. Ignition has little to do w/ temperature so making the air hotter wouldnt really get you anywhere (unless it was superheated). Both compress the air, making it more dense, thus more O2 per unit volume to allow for more complete combustion and more power.
-doug

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: dmw16
heating the air is the last thing you want. Ignition has little to do w/ temperature so making the air hotter wouldnt really get you anywhere (unless it was superheated). Both compress the air, making it more dense, thus more O2 per unit volume to allow for more complete combustion and more power. -doug

by mere physics, compressed air will have higher temp than non compressed. More volume means more molecules > less space > more friction > more heat > intercooler.

now, if any of you physic nuts out there can figure this out, it'll make you a rich man. The expansion rate needed to cool the air down given both the impeller and expansion blade is mounted on a centrifugal shaft (same volume). This has been an idea of mine for a long time, but I don't think that I'll ever be able to make it a reality, so consider this a freebie.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
heating the air is the last thing you want. Ignition has little to do w/ temperature so making the air hotter wouldnt really get you anywhere (unless it was superheated). Both compress the air, making it more dense, thus more O2 per unit volume to allow for more complete combustion and more power.
-doug
Most stock plugs are Platnum.. too hot, go a heat range or 2 down and go to a copper plug

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: batmang
having either one of those would make ur car be on steroids. i wish i had money to buy a turbo for my protege5, their $3,700!
Don't forget exhaust, tuning, and plugs to name a few things you also need

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Realizing the important differences between the two I've got 3 of each in the maxima, for a total output of nearly 900 HP at the wheels.
And that's at EACH wheel, isn't it?
Unfortunately no :( However, since I'm running 4wd it is at each axel, which is still pretty good. The car is fast, but not ridiculously so.

peterskm

Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: SWirth86
Originally posted by: Soybomb
Originally posted by: shady06
Originally posted by: CrazyPerson
turbo= broken legs + ribs..
supercharger = death..

ROFL

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't get it.......
I'm with you...

Difference between injuries inflicted on driver of "_______'ed" vehicle when they lose control doing dumb sh!t

- M4H

Is that a dead squirrel in the scoop?

boggsie

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Generally, supercharger >> turbocharger.

An interesting statement. Could you please provide _any_ compartive sets of data to support this statement?

Most generally, the opposite is true. There are application specific instances where a supercharger is a better choice, but if the goal is all-out cranking power at WOT, turbo always wins ... if you can figure out how to tune the air:fuel ratio to make use of the air.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
heating the air is the last thing you want. Ignition has little to do w/ temperature so making the air hotter wouldnt really get you anywhere (unless it was superheated). Both compress the air, making it more dense, thus more O2 per unit volume to allow for more complete combustion and more power. -doug

by mere physics, compressed air will have higher temp than non compressed. More volume means more molecules > less space > more friction > more heat > intercooler.

now, if any of you physic nuts out there can figure this out, it'll make you a rich man. The expansion rate needed to cool the air down given both the impeller and expansion blade is mounted on a centrifugal shaft (same volume). This has been an idea of mine for a long time, but I don't think that I'll ever be able to make it a reality, so consider this a freebie.
Huh?

well, regardless.. If it's simple physics math, I'm sure other thermal engineering people have thought about it. :p