Difference between a turbo and supercharger?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Generally, supercharger >> turbocharger.

Therefore, more power = faster speed = more damage done on impact.

So while a turbocharger = massive injuries, a supercharger = death.

BTW, I don't find it funny in the slightest either - just trying to shed some light on the earlier commentary.

- M4H
I don't think any forced induction person would ever come up with such a generalization. Both are going to vary on their application and implementation. I use a turbo charger in mine because its better for my uses than a supercharger, but neither is more powerful.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It depends purely on application. Also superchargers are a relatively broad category....you have Roots, Whipple, Eaton, Centrifigual type, etc.

Generally speaking both are equal as units in and of themselves....however the wrong choice can ruin the application.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Soybomb
hmmm......still don't get how that relates to methods of forced induction.....time for another beer...or maybe its one too many

Originally posted by: SWirth86
I got that, but it isnt accurate, or funny.

Generally, supercharger >> turbocharger.
- M4H
How's that?

Wider powerband, no special exhaust piping.
Granted, turbo's can probably give greater peak HP, but that means nothing to me. I want a wider powerband over a higher peak HP.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
it all depends on the application, i mean to know which is better...supercharger or turbo.

For gasoline trucks, you'd want a supercharger since there's no lag and tons of torque. For a diesel truck, you'd want a turbo..since the diesel creates so much torque at low rpms, it wouldn't make a difference.

For indivudal cars, well it depends on the motor. For example, on a 3L VQ, turbo seems be a whole lot better than a S/C. Makes more power at same psi and the engine just loves it. So far the record is 450fwhp on stock internals.

Other than that, its personal preference.

Btw Ankit, read those links I posted in the previous thread you started about cars. It will explain in details with nice pictures and animations.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm starting to read those now. I read on the things that interest me of those and then I usually don't understand some words or concepts so I read up on those which keeps leading on to others. Thanks for those links, I've already bookmarked them and the next chance I get, I'll read up on them. :)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Granted, turbo's can probably give greater peak HP, but that means nothing to me. I want a wider powerband over a higher peak HP.
The power band difference can be incredibly minimal. So you don't have different exhaust piping, just different intake and accessory belt/mounting setup. Whats the difference?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The power band difference can be incredibly minimal. So you don't have different exhaust piping, just different intake and accessory belt/mounting setup. Whats the difference?

not on a twin screw or roots type supercharger that is always on. those are made for pulling.

EDIT: superchargers give off a cool whine too

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Both are basically pumps which force air into the engine, turbo uses exhaust gases to drive it and supercharger runs off a serpentine belt (off the main crank pulley). Some Formula One cars in the early 80s (BMW) used a small displacement 4 cylinder engine with turbos which created massive amounts of power (we're talking in excess of 1000hp).

Turbo applications are more costly than superchargers though especially if you get into intercooling.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix

not on a twin screw or roots type supercharger that is always on. those are made for pulling.

EDIT: superchargers give off a cool whine too

Exactly. Theres ALWAYS going to be some lag on the turbo, fact of life.
Not to say one is really better then another, rather they just perform differently and have different characteristics. Think of it as application indepedent.
And for me, low end oomph is what I want. Thus, I would take a supercharger over a turbo charger. Gettin the wheels turnin in foot and a half deep mud is what I need. Both will provide substantial power gains under full boost so once there goin its gravy. But I like the low end muscle.
Now if I had a car with short gearing and was always running 5000+ RPM, I'd for sure want a turbo. But thats not my application.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
For maximum generation of power it has already been conceeded that Turbos rule in this category.

They both have good and bad points but Turbos are considered best for ultimate HP generation.

Normal roots type blowers increase power in a linear fashion, whereas Turbos and centrifugal SCs increase HP geometrically.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
with the right turbo you will have no percieved lag, you will also have plenty of low end torque. The turbo lag problem came from many of the original cars that had them being geared for autobahn speeding and not american stop and go.

Look at the latest offerings and you will see 0-60 times in the sub 5 ranges, many once dynoed the torque numbers don't add up to a 454 V8, but I guarantee it will feel like it if you can duplicate those times.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Supercharger + Turbo = shizznit.

I believe Toyota is developing one along with suing the massive instantaneous torque of an electrical motor at the start.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
with the right turbo you will have no percieved lag, you will also have plenty of low end torque. The turbo lag problem came from many of the original cars that had them being geared for autobahn speeding and not american stop and go.

Look at the latest offerings and you will see 0-60 times in the sub 5 ranges, many once dynoed the torque numbers don't add up to a 454 V8, but I guarantee it will feel like it if you can duplicate those times.

I disagree. You HAVE to have lag, its the nature of the beast. The turbo relies on exhaust gases, and if you dont have an increase in exhaust pressure you dont have a spooling of the turbo. Yeah, it can be set really damned low for fast spooling but then you lose the high end go-go. I'v always veiwed turbo's as one big comprimise. You can have it spool fast and minimize lag, or spool slow for a good kick in the rear higher in the powerband. But you really cant get both, unless you go sequential which opens up other problems.
I'll stick by my guns, its application dependent as both turbochargers and superchargers have there strong points.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
mAd Indian is the only one who said it right.. it depends on the application.

they both have pro's and con's PERIOD

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Shockwave

I disagree. You HAVE to have lag, its the nature of the beast. The turbo relies on exhaust gases, and if you dont have an increase in exhaust pressure you dont have a spooling of the turbo. Yeah, it can be set really damned low for fast spooling but then you lose the high end go-go. I'v always veiwed turbo's as one big comprimise. You can have it spool fast and minimize lag, or spool slow for a good kick in the rear higher in the powerband. But you really cant get both, unless you go sequential which opens up other problems.
I'll stick by my guns, its application dependent as both turbochargers and superchargers have there strong points.
How about a variable nozzle turbo then? The point it you can have a turbocharged car where you wouldn't notice the lag.

SharkyTM

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2002
use a vortec supercharger... It uses a gearing system to greatly increase the speed of the turbine (which it uses instead of an Eaton/Roots type lobed blower. Vortec's operate in the range of 75% efficiency, other supers run ~40%. Turbos can have very little lag, depending on the length of exhaust runners that feed them. If done correctly, they can (see the VW 1.8T) be very quick responding, and highly efficient.

A little more info: Superchargers deliver a set amount of air/revolution... they are correctly called blowers, as they dont actually compress the intake charge. Turbos use a pair of turbine blades, one driven by exhaust, the other compressing the intake charge. They are correctly called compressors or turbine compressors, as the air is actually compressed to a higher pressure. In general, turbo's are only effective at higher RPM, where enough exhaust is being fed thru them to generate a good pressure of boost. Many superchargers operate effectively at <3000 rpms, but are less effcient at higher RPM.

Turbos use a DV (diverter valve), or BOV (blow-off valve) to waste air pressure at too low RPM, and to controll air pressure at higher RPM. This process is called wastegating. If you want more info, get a copy of sport compact car's forced induction volume.

also: here
and here
SharkyTM

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Turbos use a DV (diverter valve), or BOV (blow-off valve) to waste air pressure at too low RPM, and to controll air pressure at higher RPM. This process is called wastegating. If you want more info, get a copy of sport compact car's forced induction volume.
A blow off valve is not the same as a wastegate. The wastegate control the level of boost. The blow off valve vents the pressure in the intake to the atmosphere during a shift so the turbo stays spooled up (other wise you have a condition known as stacking, which is also hard on the turbo).

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
mAd Indian is the only one who said it right.. it depends on the application.

they both have pro's and con's PERIOD

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

How about a variable nozzle turbo then? The point it you can have a turbocharged car where you wouldn't notice the lag.

I'm not sure how signifigant of an impovement it makes in defeating turbo lag. I myself am more impressed with the control it allows, helping to eliminate lag as well as controlling sporadic boost pressures under long duration WOT. However, again I havent heard much on it so I cant make any relevent comments. I can tell you I'm highly interested in the longevity. Turbo's are incredibly sensitive, and if the blades become misaligned or some other unatural behavior, you could have one hell of a disater on your hands. I've heard about what happens when turbines become unbalanced, and it isnt pretty. Course, that was on a tractor that had a large dose of dirt get around the air filter, so it was a rare occurence. But the point was made in my mind, they require fairly controlled operating environments or it goes to hell FAST.
Anyways, again, I dont have enough info on them to comment one way or the other.

SharkyTM

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2002
A blow off valve is not the same as a wastegate. The wastegate control the level of boost. The blow off valve vents the pressure in the intake to the atmosphere during a shift so the turbo stays spooled up (other wise you have a condition known as stacking, which is also hard on the turbo).

very true... my mistake, i'm just used to the VW setup... which i WISH i had.
and yes, both can be good... In larger displacement engines, where torque is a concern, often superchargers are used. In other, often smaller displacement engines, where lag isnt an issue, turbo's are more preferred... it mainly comes down to whats available for your car/truck/boat, and how much you want to pay.

Also, no one has mentioned inter/aftercooling. Because the forced induction system is not 100% efficient, the air is heated... Intercooling and aftercooling cool off the air to make a more densely packed intake, and yeld higher HP.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SharkyTM
use a vortec supercharger... It uses a gearing system to greatly increase the speed of the turbine (which it uses instead of an Eaton/Roots type lobed blower. Vortec's operate in the range of 75% efficiency, other supers run ~40%. Turbos can have very little lag, depending on the length of exhaust runners that feed them. If done correctly, they can (see the VW 1.8T) be very quick responding, and highly efficient.
I would never put a centrifical or a turbo on my setup. The pro's of a positive displacement blower fit my needs more.

SharkyTM

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2002
I would never put a centrifical or a turbo on my setup. The pro's of a positive displacement blower fit my needs more.

great! Eaton/roots type twin lobe blowers are great. They make full boost at low RPM, and are easy to install. You will want an inter/aftercooler though, as their low efficiency heats the intake a bit.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
160bhp from a supercharged car is less than 160bhp from a turbocharged car. The supercharger still requires engine power to turn it whereas the turbo does not. You can get some superchargers with magnetic clutches which will de - clutch to stop this problem, mazda had one on its diesels about 4 years ago. Personally the best setup is the sequential turbos as per the supra and the BSK subaru (not sure you got that in the states) 1 low pressure turbo followed by a larger turboat high revs.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

great! Eaton/roots type twin lobe blowers are great. They make full boost at low RPM, and are easy to install. You will want an inter/aftercooler though, as their low efficiency heats the intake a bit.
I would do anything to intercool my setup but there is no room betweent he screw and the manifold :( I'm gonna have to take the water/alc injection route if I can find a good kit that I like.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

A lot of people who've installed the Bell Aerodyne (VATN?) turbo comment on its lack of perceivable lag. Anyway, there are many ways to combat lag.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Both are basically pumps which force air into the engine, turbo uses exhaust gases to drive it and supercharger runs off a serpentine belt (off the main crank pulley). Some Formula One cars in the early 80s (BMW) used a small displacement 4 cylinder engine with turbos which created massive amounts of power (we're talking in excess of 1000hp).

Turbo applications are more costly than superchargers though especially if you get into intercooling.
I thought it was the late 80s; anyway, it was a 1.5L inline-4 that made 1500HP.