Difference between a turbo and supercharger?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Mingon
160bhp from a supercharged car is less than 160bhp from a turbocharged car. The supercharger still requires engine power to turn it whereas the turbo does not. You can get some superchargers with magnetic clutches which will de - clutch to stop this problem, mazda had one on its diesels about 4 years ago. Personally the best setup is the sequential turbos as per the supra and the BSK subaru (not sure you got that in the states) 1 low pressure turbo followed by a larger turboat high revs.
The turbo engine may be more efficient, but both create the same net power.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Realizing the important differences between the two I've got 3 of each in the maxima, for a total output of nearly 900 HP at the wheels.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
160bhp from a supercharged car is less than 160bhp from a turbocharged car. The supercharger still requires engine power to turn it whereas the turbo does not.
Totally wrong. 160 hp is 160 hp. Doesn't matter if it's measured at the crankshaft or the wheels. The drag from the supercharger has already been accounted for by the time torque is measured at the crankshaft.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Realizing the important differences between the two I've got 3 of each in the maxima, for a total output of nearly 900 HP at the wheels.
And that's at EACH wheel, isn't it?

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Wow, a lot of people talking out of their ass. It never fails to surprise me how many "experts" there are.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BadgerFan
Wow, a lot of people talking out of their ass. It never fails to surprise me how many "experts" there are.

And boy did you straighten us all out Mr Boost.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Soybomb
Wider powerband, no special exhaust piping.
Granted, turbo's can probably give greater peak HP, but that means nothing to me. I want a wider powerband over a higher peak HP.
The power band difference can be incredibly minimal. So you don't have different exhaust piping, just different intake and accessory belt/mounting setup. Whats the difference?

not on a twin screw or roots type supercharger that is always on. those are made for pulling.

EDIT: superchargers give off a cool whine too

it's the whine that makes em more cool than turbos.

well, that, and this gigantic scoop sticking out of your hood. (but you have to have that scoop to be considered cool)

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Walleye
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Soybomb
Wider powerband, no special exhaust piping.
Granted, turbo's can probably give greater peak HP, but that means nothing to me. I want a wider powerband over a higher peak HP.
The power band difference can be incredibly minimal. So you don't have different exhaust piping, just different intake and accessory belt/mounting setup. Whats the difference?

not on a twin screw or roots type supercharger that is always on. those are made for pulling.

EDIT: superchargers give off a cool whine too
it's the whine that makes em more cool than turbos.
well, that, and this gigantic scoop sticking out of your hood. (but you have to have that scoop to be considered cool)

alright, here's IMO, the best you can do with either.

turbocharger is for smaller engines, narrower powerbands, and higher RPM. it induces more lag for off the line, but gets a better top speed.

best a supercharger can do.

now, to be truly cool, the turbocharger is king.

it's for bigger, torquier engines, wider power bands, lower RPM. it has no lag off the line, and it takes horsepower to makes horsepower. lower top speed, but damn, getting up there... ;)

Most Awesome Car. Period.

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Shockwave

What do you want to know?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

I'm capable of Googling on my own thanks for offering.
Its just when you throw out a broad comment like that and dont offer ANY info whatsoever, how much should I expect you to know?

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003

Its just when you throw out a broad comment like that and dont offer ANY info whatsoever, how much should I expect you to know?

I was planning on writing a nice response and hopefully answering the question but I becamed sickened by the fluster cuck of comments that ensued. If the original author wanted to post a new question then I would probably be motivated to answer it. Something like what are the pros cons of different types of intercooling, turbo sizing, manifold configurations, bearing types, lubrication etc and so forth.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

I was planning on writing a nice response and hopefully answering the question but I becamed sickened by the fluster cuck of comments that ensued. If the original author wanted to post a new question then I would probably be motivated to answer it. Something like what are the pros cons of different types of intercooling, turbo sizing, manifold configurations, bearing types, lubrication etc and so forth.

What do you drive?

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred

What do you drive?

My ride right now is a 96 200SX SE-R. Interestingly enough I recently sold off all of my turbo components to pay for my motorcycle and college expenses. In addition to my car I have turboed numerous friends cars, and tinkered with 1.8ts. I am kind of off my street car kick for the moment and applying all of my efforts in designing parts for my universities formula sae car. Currently I am working on a hybrid chromoly spaceframe/alumnium monocoque frame and the exhaust systems amongst other small parts.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
So Badger, write!
I'm curious what you have to say about them. Whats your take on the benefits of one over the other? Which is better? Or are they, as I and a few others have said, application dependent?
BTW, "fluster cuck" = LOL! I like that.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

What do you drive?

My ride right now is a 96 200SX SE-R. Interestingly enough I recently sold off all of my turbo components to pay for my motorcycle and college expenses. In addition to my car I have turboed numerous friends cars, and tinkered with 1.8ts. I am kind of off my street car kick for the moment and applying all of my efforts in designing parts for my universities formula sae car. Currently I am working on a hybrid chromoly spaceframe/alumnium monocoque frame and the exhaust systems amongst other small parts.
Dude!

Help me design a turbo for the 2.5HP Honda GXH50 on my scooter. :D

Seriously.. :D

I've heard IHI makes turbos small enough....

Edit:

Example 1.... :Q

:D

Priit

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2000
Turbochargers in most of the "normal" cars are boosting the torque in low mid-range (2500+ RPM) revs considerably, so their torque curve is actually flatter than freely-breathing engines have. Supercharged cars are mostly equipped with system that allows to disconnect supercharger at very low RPM's (or idle), cause it eats up considerable amount of power without making any boost and would make engine weaker that way.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Totally wrong. 160 hp is 160 hp. Doesn't matter if it's measured at the crankshaft or the wheels. The drag from the supercharger has already been accounted for by the time torque is measured at the crankshaft.

No sorry, the extra resistance from a supercharger will effect it, you will in effect have more engine braking, as their is greater frictional losses directly applied to the engine.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Priit
Turbochargers in most of the "normal" cars are boosting the torque in low mid-range (2500+ RPM) revs considerably, so their torque curve is actually flatter than freely-breathing engines have. Supercharged cars are mostly equipped with system that allows to disconnect supercharger at very low RPM's (or idle), cause it eats up considerable amount of power without making any boost and would make engine weaker that way.

Whoa, it's been a while since I've seen you here. What's up?

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
So Badger, write!
I'm curious what you have to say about them. Whats your take on the benefits of one over the other? Which is better? Or are they, as I and a few others have said, application dependent?
BTW, "fluster cuck" = LOL! I like that.

Personally I tend to prefer turbos over superchargers. Simply because they are not parasitic on the drive train of the vehicle. Yes turbos CAN have lag if you are a moron and buy some turbo that is improperly sized or you want the absolute most power (Supra and RX-7 owners with deep pockets come to mind). However, if you take the time to size the turbo and select the supporting components, you will find you can make awesome power with almost no lag. Not to mention that if you get a good launch out of the hole, or you select the right corner exit gear you can almost always remained in the spooled zone of reasonable turbo. Not to mention with a turbo you have the ability to easily alter boost for different driving situations or vary boost by gear/wheel slip.

Not, I don't think Superchargers are necessarily scat. For OEM and a few other applications superchargers are the way to go. I got the opprotunity to get some behind the scenes looks at products coming from the Blue Oval this summer during my internship, and be on the look out for some cool supercharged powertrains from them.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

No sorry, the extra resistance from a supercharger will effect it, you will in effect have more engine braking, as their is greater frictional losses directly applied to the engine.

:confused: I do believe his statement is correct.

160HP is 160HP. Of course, the "trick" is that you have to.. get ready for it.. measure HP output with the supercharger attached to the engine and functioning. :Q

So you're basically saying that if you hook an accessory up to the engine while it's sitting on a dyno, and run the test.. the dyno will read the engine as if there was nothing being driven by it?

If you say so. :p

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Eli

What do you drive?

Dude!

Edit:

A turbo would be quite novel, but I am pretty sure that you would never be able to get it tuned correctly, or find one small enough to work for the engine. If you want to sh!t yourself on your scooter, pull of the airbox, give the carb a few turns and throw a small nitrous system on there. That oughta give you some skid marks in your undies.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Dude!

Edit:

A turbo would be quite novel, but I am pretty sure that you would never be able to get it tuned correctly, or find one small enough to work for the engine. If you want to sh!t yourself on your scooter, pull of the airbox, give the carb a few turns and throw a small nitrous system on there. That oughta give you some skid marks in your undies.

Aww.. but a turbo would be much more fun.. :p

Even if it only boosted power by like 20%.. it would be worth it, just for the do it yourself hobby aspect. ;)

I bet you could get it tuned reasonably well, though.. If you knew what you were doing, you would just have to scale it down.. and with a bit of tinkering..

The turbo on that 5HP Honda engine driven barstool is pretty small, but probably not quite small enough... Hmm..

What happens if you put a turbo that's too large on an engine? Bad turbo lag?

BadgerFan

Aug 4, 2003
Dude!

Edit:

Even if it only boosted power by like 20%.. it would be worth it, just for the do it yourself hobby aspect. ;)

I bet you could get it tuned reasonably well, though.. If you knew what you were doing, you would just have to scale it down.. and with a bit of tinkering..

The turbo on that 5HP Honda engine driven barstool is pretty small, but probably not quite small enough... Hmm..

Very bad lag, or you might not even put out enough exhaust energy to spool the turbo then basically the turbo just acts as a restriction in the system and you will make less power than you would without the turbo.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Dude!

Edit:

Very bad lag, or you might not even put out enough exhaust energy to spool the turbo then basically the turbo just acts as a restriction in the system and you will make less power than you would without the turbo.
Yeah. I figured. That would be bad. :p

Well, surely there must be CFM requirements for optimum boost etc that come along with each sized turbos specifications, no?

I could probably measure exhaust output from idle to full throttle, and try and find something that would work.. Or is that how you would normally go about it?

Is there a formula to figure exhaust output like there is intake CFM?

/me scampers off to google

Priit

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Whoa, it's been a while since I've seen you here. What's up?

Nothing much, I'm still lurking here most of the time, I just haven't had much to say lately ;)

Originally posted by: MingonNo sorry, the extra resistance from a supercharger will effect it, you will in effect have more engine braking, as their is greater frictional losses directly applied to the engine.

Engine braking isn't why horsepowers are needed :) 160Hp on crankshaft/wheels is still 160Hp no matter how it's achieved. Blown 160Hp engine may have bigger fuel consumtion, weight and cooling requirements, but it still makes 160Hp. You don't claim that when 2 cars are accelating 0-60mph in 10 sec, then one car's 10sec is faster than others, do you ? :)

Extremly powerful per displacement engines tend to have really bad turbo lag: I've seen Ford Sierra with heavy truck turbocharger mounted on it that made 509 RWHp out of 2L 4-banger (most of the engine was stock!). It ran low 12sec times on track but start was always very slow and turbo really kicked in after about 2-4 seconds. I have also seen finns ~600HP 1,5L russian IZ-412 and about as powerful 1,3L Toyota Starlet.