Diablo II, LOD. How to save more than 100K gold?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
Originally posted by: MichaelD
i've got a level 7 necro, i just started playing like a week ago

Great. Newb like me!!! It's not as easy as it looks, right?

i just run around and kill stuff, i plan on doing this till my character's a bit stronger. the quests are kinda fun though

You and I think exactly alike AFA this game is concerned! :) I don't know WTF a "Cow Level" is (sounds like my son's mom...) and I don't care. I paid $$ for the game, I want my money's worth, cheats and shortcuts be damned. :p

What a great game!

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000

Great. Newb like me!!! It's not as easy as it looks, right?

i just run around and kill stuff, i plan on doing this till my character's a bit stronger. the quests are kinda fun though

You and I think exactly alike AFA this game is concerned! :) I don't know WTF a "Cow Level" is (sounds like my son's mom...) and I don't care. I paid $$ for the game, I want my money's worth, cheats and shortcuts be damned. :p

What a great game!

Quests got annoying after about 2 months of continous play. But then thats me.

-*brtspears on UsWest

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
i have HUGE item stores...

i have a .08 arkaine's valor
a windforce
an ethereal hellslayer (and 2 more hellslayers)
a tal rasha's laquered plate

that's just what i can remember the names of...
my entire item list is still being put together, it's taken me 3 hours so far... i'm only done with standard mules so far...
anyway, if you want to get into legit SP gaming via tcp-ip, then pm me. i am a member at several communities you may find useful...

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
:Q Level 30 *whatever character* Holy crap! :Q

I'll be honest; I cut my teeth on Diablo for Playstation. Yes, the original Playstation....when the console was the size of a backpack...before the vibrating joystick controller thing. (yes, a fkucing long time ago) :evil:

I'm learning...much like in the original, I find that initially I'm having the best luck w/the bow as the primary weapon, hence, the Amazon.

I need a shield...already had to resurrect my Archer or whatever the hell she's called (the other thing-fighter that you buy...) three damn times already and it's getting expensive
!

You can't use a shield with a bow. If you want to use a shield with your Amazon, you have to use a javelin as your primary weapon. Otherwise, just try to get some better armor and stay out of harms way.....I know easier said than done :p

-Tom

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

a week? when i used to play, i'd just get a friend to drag my lowly character through the entire game quick. then level up in the sweet areas:) level 7 by the first hour atleast i bet.

well considering i don't own the game yet and i've played about 3 hours total at the local gaming cafe place, i don't consider level 7 too bad. i'm getting the game this weekend fo sho though

amishfatkid

Jan 8, 2003
Just found a Windforce in cows with my zon :D

What I do to store gold and items is create a 2nd account and just keep mules on there and then fire up my other computer and create a game and then just leave it in there while I go do other things like cow so that when I want I can just come in and drop off items to pick up later. Surprisingly d2 LOD runs good on 56k with 2 computers.

Sorry for grammer and spelling

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
true, i forgot about mp
but i never got into the multiplayer part of diablo II, i used it as SP. is the online part better?

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
I need to go refresh my accounts on USEast. I have 3 accounts with 8 - (70 - 95) level chars (several 70+ hardcores) that I am gonna lose if I don't play them soon..........bah. I should sell my accounts on ebay ..... :D J/K

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
if you like diablo II, you will love morrowind, its like a fps diablo.

Now that sounds cool. Interestingly enough, the only RPG I really like is Diablo. I don't think DeusEx qualifies as a RPG...more like a TPS.

Anyway, I still don't know WTF a "cow level" is. :confused: Is "cow" an acronym, or is there a level w/evil fire shooting, dead raising cows?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
It's a level in which you are transported there through a portal. It is a bunch of cows running around. You kill them with a full game and your experience goes up, wayyyyyyyyyyy up.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000

Now that sounds cool. Interestingly enough, the only RPG I really like is Diablo. I don't think DeusEx qualifies as a RPG...more like a TPS.

Anyway, I still don't know WTF a "cow level" is. :confused: Is "cow" an acronym, or is there a level w/evil fire shooting, dead raising cows?

Beat level diffculty.

Add Writ Leg + Tome of Town Portal into Horadric Cube

Enter red portal made. Don't kill king.

I can't stand the pain of someone stuck in normal. Anyone want to team up with me and rush this guy through hell?

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
After you defeat the entire difficulty (Normal, Nighmare or Hell) you can buy a Tomb of Town Portal and put it and Wirt's leg into your Horadric Cube while in the Rogues Camp of the difficulty that you just beat and transmute them and it will open a secret cow level filled with lots and lots of cows.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
It's a level in which you are transported there through a portal. It is a bunch of cows running around. You kill them with a full game and your experience goes up, wayyyyyyyyyyy up.

:Q I don't have to take any of that Ecstacy crap or go to some Raver party, do I? Long ago, Blotter Acid was quite popular...I've no desire to repeat those weekends....

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

:Q I don't have to take any of that Ecstacy crap or go to some Raver party, do I? Long ago, Blotter Acid was quite popular...I've no desire to repeat those weekends....

Nope, just beat the game in a certain difficulty. Then you unlock cow level for that difficulty.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

the cow level is a secret area you can only get to after you finish through act 5 at either normal, nitemare, or hell. i'd explain how to get there, but it seems like you may be too far away from it right now to even explain it well.

lmk if you're up to playing some online - i think the co-op play is a lot more fun. i'd be all about starting another character on the realms - i only play single player at home right now.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: WarCon
After you defeat the entire difficulty (Normal, Nighmare or Hell) you can buy a Tomb of Town Portal and put it and Wirt's leg into your Horadric Cube while in the Rogues Camp of the difficulty that you just beat and transmute them and it will open a secret cow level filled with lots and lots of cows.

Yeah, I just got that cube thing last level and I've been trying to combine whatever I've got in my inventory to make something cool. I haven't found any staffs or whatever you're actually suppposed to combine. :eek:

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
put in 3 health potions and 3 mana and you will make a rejuvenation potion. put 3 of those in there, and it'll make a full rejuvenation potion.

3 gems of a type and level (e.g., 3 chipped topazes) make 1 next-level-up gem of the same type (1 flawed topaz)

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000

Yeah, I just got that cube thing last level and I've been trying to combine whatever I've got in my inventory to make something cool. I haven't found any staffs or whatever you're actually suppposed to combine. :eek:

The cube serves a few purposes, besides quest related issues.

3 small rejvenation potion = 1 full rejuvination
3 arrows = 1 bolts
3 bolts = 1 arrow
3 perfect gem + 1 charm = re-rolled stats on charm
3 chip gems + 1 sword = new sword with 3 open sockets, re-rolled stats
1 writ leg + 1 tome of town portal = cow level

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Lvl 85 Zealot
Lvl 85 Judicator
Lvl 85 Sword/Shield Barb
Lvl 95 Bowazon
Lvl 80 Javazon
Lvl 80 Frozen Orb/Nova Sorc
Lvl 15 PvP Barb :p

Those were my final characters before I quit. Had a lot more of those in the years I've played before.
Shows how addicted I was.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: brtspears2

3 arrows = 1 bolts
3 bolts = 1 arrow

Wow...THANK YOU. I guess that's cheating though...sh1t, I'm gonna try it!!! :p It's still cheating...but damn, I'm getting slaughtered here.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: fuzzy bee
i always forget about this one. do the charms usually get better?

It's all random re-rolling. The formula also works with ANY magical (blue text) item.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: brtspears2

3 arrows = 1 bolts
3 bolts = 1 arrow

Wow...THANK YOU. I guess that's cheating though...sh1t, I'm gonna try it!!! :p It's still cheating...but damn, I'm getting slaughtered here.

Amazon using bows (Bowazon) are generally hard to play, unless you already twinked yourself with items from other characters. Good luck to you MichaelD, hope you don't get addicted :)

BTW - Dexterity adds damage on bows.