Diablo 4 announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Uhh you're too ignorant to participate in this discussion. This has been going on since 1997 with Ultima online, the reason we have DRM and steam to begin with is because the battle was won 20 years ago by fools who told the game industry they were incapable of perceiving the agenda.

The long term agenda of the computer and software industry of which game industry is apart has always been to get rid of software from the end user so they could increase profits. That's why we have all these abusive practices in games. The internet allowed game companies to divide games into two pieces, instead of getting complete games they came up with marketing bs labels to get people to confuse the public and it worked.

This is why windows 10 has drm in it. The average computer user today is none too bright which is why our basic rights and freedoms for computing in privacy are being stripped from us.

Personal insults are not allowed.

AT Mod Usandthem

Stop playing games, then. There's an entire world outside.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
I'm glad they went back to a darker tone and I really hope they keep that. The gameplay that I've seen looks really good but I am a little worried that the skill system might be a bit too simplistic. After D3 I think me expectations of what Diablo games are going to be going forward have changed. I feel like I view it almost like I view Marvel movies at this point, they aren't going to be stunningly original works of art but they can still be fun.

At the very least this will keep pushing POE and I look forward to seeing what they do with 4.0.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don’t want to claim I’m a super hardcore gamer but I want some challenge.
Weird how we all have expectations about a game and those expectations can be so different. Friend of mine told me he had a great time playing Skyrim with cheats on where he could down a Dragon in one well placed shot. To my ears that sounds shockingly dumb, why bother playing the game it’s a damn dragon it’s supposed to be tough.

They did mention something about a system that would allow you to "scrap" a key, and I'm assuming, it would allow you to reforge a key if you have enough components. My guess is that it'll still be randomized, but maybe with some varying recipe levels (e.g. random key for level 1-5, random key for level 6-10, etc.).

As for the one-shotting dragons... sometimes it's just fun to "be God" in a world. It's sort of why games like Crackdown are popular -- or even to an extent, Grand Theft Auto -- you get to be something greater than you are. Although, I think those sort of actions can sometimes be a bit hollow if they're outside of the normal gameplay loop (i.e. cheats).

@Aikouka You still play? I'm on USEast non-ladder and could use some help.

Did you mean to tag the other guy? Unfortunately, I haven't played Diablo II in quite a long time.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I was a huge but casual D1/D2 fan, and played through D3 once and generally enjoyed it except the constant incremental loot swapping. It was a fun enough game.

D4 looks interesting and the concept of a open world iso-arpg is an idea that could bear some fruit.

It's blizzard, so I figure the game will be well constructed, but I really worry that it will lack the soul and passion of the earlier entries in the series (as blizzard as a whole seems to have done).

Reactions: pandemonium

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's blizzard, so I figure the game will be well constructed, but I really worry that it will lack the soul and passion of the earlier entries in the series (as blizzard as a whole seems to have done).

I wonder if part of that has to do with Condor/Blizzard North being the original Diablo developer, and how Blizzard proper has been mostly trying to emulate Condor's style since Diablo III. It sounds like they're quite literally trying to do that with Diablo IV since they constantly hearkened back to Diablo II during their discussion.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
They did mention something about a system that would allow you to "scrap" a key, and I'm assuming, it would allow you to reforge a key if you have enough components. My guess is that it'll still be randomized, but maybe with some varying recipe levels (e.g. random key for level 1-5, random key for level 6-10, etc.).

As for the one-shotting dragons... sometimes it's just fun to "be God" in a world. It's sort of why games like Crackdown are popular -- or even to an extent, Grand Theft Auto -- you get to be something greater than you are. Although, I think those sort of actions can sometimes be a bit hollow if they're outside of the normal gameplay loop (i.e. cheats).

Did you mean to tag the other guy? Unfortunately, I haven't played Diablo II in quite a long time.
You're right I tagged you instead. Sorry!:blush:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I was a huge but casual D1/D2 fan, and played through D3 once and generally enjoyed it except the constant incremental loot swapping. It was a fun enough game.

D4 looks interesting and the concept of a open world iso-arpg is an idea that could bear some fruit.

Same way with D1 for me...never actually played D2. D3 I only played through once, and not too long ago, so well-after it was released and when it was on sale for cheap (Free even, I think? I do think I purchased some DLC though?). It didn't really hold my attention to bother with all the loot grinding, though.

...this one looks like something that would interest me more, though. But I guess by the time it comes out I will have forgotten about it and maybe just not be in a place where I can put time into a game like this? I dunno. I'd be all over it if it were out now.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I forget what the mode was called after you finished the D3 campaign, the one that allowed you to keep playing, but I was not into it in the least.

I believe that is also around the time that I looked for alternatives and looked deeper into Path of Exile--which I had heard of but never tried. I'll certainly play Diablo 4 in ten years when it finally comes out, however I hope they've taken some notes on how to keep it interesting and fresh.

A close-up slowmo kill cam would be kind of neat, along with customized loot filters like PoE has implemented.

Feb 4, 2009
I’m okay with the online thing provided you don’t bump into ransoms in dungeons I assume those will be instanced. Also keep it old school like Ever Quest as in to group up with your friends or someone you need to meet them face to face in game.
For example you need to travel overland to wraithbane village and meet them in the bar or the outskirts of town.
Sadly modern gamers have no time for such tasks I doubt it will work like that

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I’m okay with the online thing provided you don’t bump into ransoms in dungeons I assume those will be instanced. Also keep it old school like Ever Quest as in to group up with your friends or someone you need to meet them face to face in game.
For example you need to travel overland to wraithbane village and meet them in the bar or the outskirts of town.
Sadly modern gamers have no time for such tasks I doubt it will work like that

in that playthrough, only the open map was common, and dungeons were all instanced.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Same way with D1 for me...never actually played D2. D3 I only played through once, and not too long ago, so well-after it was released and when it was on sale for cheap (Free even, I think? I do think I purchased some DLC though?). It didn't really hold my attention to bother with all the loot grinding, though.

...this one looks like something that would interest me more, though. But I guess by the time it comes out I will have forgotten about it and maybe just not be in a place where I can put time into a game like this? I dunno. I'd be all over it if it were out now.

- Yeah, D4 announcement sparked an interesting in playing through a good iso-ARPG. Rooting around my steam library to see if I have anything that will satisfy.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Blizzard should just quit making video games and become a video production studio. Their games aren't always amazing, but their videos sure are (the shorter ones, at least).

As far as ARPGs go, PoE has taken the crown and their model and community involvement is 10x that of Blizzard's.

Reactions: Majes and Borealis7

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I bet you with China heavily influencing Activision/Blizzard, D4 will suck hardcore because of all the censorships it will need to keep in order for a china port.

Anyhow i decided not to support Activision / Blizzard for the next foreseeable future, most likely until they change CEO's, as the group of people they have now are just beyond ridiculous, and has made the worst game company of the year, not only bypassing but utterly steamrolling Ubisoft and EA.

Reactions: DeathReborn
Feb 4, 2009
I bet you with China heavily influencing Activision/Blizzard, D4 will suck hardcore because of all the censorships it will need to keep in order for a china port.

Anyhow i decided not to support Activision / Blizzard for the next foreseeable future, most likely until they change CEO's, as the group of people they have now are just beyond ridiculous, and has made the worst game company of the year, not only bypassing but utterly steamrolling Ubisoft and EA.

Interesting I haven’t thought of this.
Could you explain more? I am interested.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't want to drag a political debate over to pc and gaming, but google Blitzchung, and you should have all the info required.

But China has been heavily influencing a lot of things in the US, from movies, basketball, to video games.
You have something that isn't approved by the PRC, then it wont be allowed to enter the market, which is making a lot of large corporations bend over backwards.

This is also another reason why i am giving up NBA next year as well.

Reactions: DeathReborn

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Trailer is truly amazing.

Hopefully Blizzard will consider what the fanbase is expecting though. Otherwise they once again going to release a game with many flaws and "new features" for which nobody will care and then we'll have to wait for patches to fix those things.

Nevertheless I really hope that the game will be outstanding.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hopefully Blizzard will consider what the fanbase is expecting though.

PUAHAHAHA...
Excuse me for laughing at your hopeful expectations....
But ever since it became Activision / Blizzard, the company has gone to the gutter.

Did you forget what happened at last years blizconn?

Here lemme sum it up for you..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gerald95

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe it's my age. Maybe I'm just tired to Diablo genre and loot genre.

I'm just not excited for D4.

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe it's my age. Maybe I'm just tired to Diablo genre and loot genre.

I'm just not excited for D4.

Similar with me. I had fun with the diablo 1 PlayStation version. Wife & I played tons of it.
Never touched diablo 2 or 3.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Similar with me. I had fun with the diablo 1 PlayStation version. Wife & I played tons of it.
Never touched diablo 2 or 3.

dude i have had 48 hour straight binge sessions of D1, in college with my dorm mates using the OG coax bnc nic cards running coax from one room to the other.
I also remember pissing off our RA, until we got him into our sessions, which then we magically made the cables disappear putting a rug over them. :p

D1 was epic.
D2 was also very good with the first intigration of Battle.net
D3 i think was a massive can of fail with the real money shop.
Diablo Imortal - *sigh really mobile only for a PC game!?!* (insert picard face palm meme here)
D4 i am not so looking forward to it, because i feel it will be heavily censored.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
dude i have had 48 hour straight binge sessions of D1, in college with my dorm mates using the OG coax bnc nic cards running coax from one room to the other.
I also remember pissing off our RA, until we got him into our sessions, which then we magically made the cables disappear putting a rug over them. :p

D1 was epic.
D2 was also very good with the first intigration of Battle.net
D3 i think was a massive can of fail with the real money shop.
Diablo Imortal - *sigh really mobile only for a PC game!?!* (insert picard face palm meme here)
D4 i am not so looking forward to it, because i feel it will be heavily censored.

One of my favorite couples memories and gaming memory.
Sitting on the couch at her apartment, playing Diablo 1 on the PlayStation, big snowstorm outside, her apartment was not insulated or heated well so I bought a small space heater and we just sat on the couch leaning against each other with blankets. Played that game together nearly the entire day.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
What do you mean censored? If you're referring to gore or brutality, D4 trailer showed it's trying to go back to some spooky settings.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What do you mean censored? If you're referring to gore or brutality, D4 trailer showed it's trying to go back to some spooky settings.

I think people get worried about companies broadly censoring their game in all regions to help pass Chinese censorship. Now, it does happen as Ubisoft caught a lot of flak for changing their Rainbow 6 Siege maps earlier this year to remove references to things like gambling and sex. On the flip side, Blizzard has usually left their properties alone, and crafted a Chinese-specific build. For example, World of WarCraft in China has quite a few differences compared to other regions such as changes to skeletons and such. I believe Diablo III was also censored in China and not elsewhere.

So, in other words, while other companies try to take the easy way out, Blizzard has at least not done that yet.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
PUAHAHAHA...
Excuse me for laughing at your hopeful expectations....
But ever since it became Activision / Blizzard, the company has gone to the gutter.

Did you forget what happened at last years blizconn?

Here lemme sum it up for you..
Well yeah. I guess you're right and I'm being naive...

This was funny though :D:D

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Well, Path of Exile 2 was announced over the weekend. New engine with updated graphics, looks great and very "dark", coming in 1 year and still free to play.
they also announced a MOBILE game! not as a joke!
by the time D4 comes out, it could already be rendered obsolete in terms of gameplay mechanics.