Diablo 3 RMAH fees

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
First, you finally started to make a rational point about server-side changes - but I'm uncovinced they anywhere near justify the cost. A very small charge could cover it IMO.

Second, your definition of gouging as applying only to 'essentials' is wrong, and any game practice no matter how abusive you apologize for.

As I said for you there's no such thing as 'gouging' with games no matter how bad it is.

Gouging is most notable when it's about essentials, but it can apply to any product that's overpriced.

As the Wiki entry on gouging defines it:

"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. "

That's what I'm saying, that Blizzard has found a way to get players to pay a lot more money for something priced far above its cost to a degree it's not just 'making a profit', but gouging.

The key being "much higher than is considered reasonable or fair". Which comparing the fees to other auction sites, blizzard is reasonable. I dont really give a shit though. I dont plan on making a living selling D3 items, I have a real job. If I find an epic item that I wont use, sure I might sell it on the RMAH, but I'de most likely just end up using that money earned on another item in the RMAH. This is a game, play it to have fun, and stop worrying about how the RMAH is going to "gouge" you out of your "hard earned" money.

My fondest desire would be to have offline single player, and ideally LAN play and the ability to host/join 4 player games without any sort of interraction with battle.net.

I really do miss the days when PC gaming was more simple, without all this money-grubbing, unnecessary internet element... excessive DRM and pointless attempts to stop piracy at the expense of the legit customer... it's getting worse all the time.

I also wish they still had an offline/LAN mode with locally stored characters. I had a blast playing D2 mods with my brother, it helped breath new life into the game.

Unfortunately the times change. Everyone is expected to have internet access these days, unfortunately this does effect the rare few people on submarines, carrier, or deployed in a place w/o good internet. It also sucks when all you want to do is play by yourself, but the servers are down and you can't play.

Last edited:

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Didn't read through this whole thread, but people are reading that article wrong. Pieces of equipment that are sold will have the $1 seller's fee, and 15% of the selling cost payable to Blizzard if you transfer the money out to your Paypal account. The commodity items (gold, crafting materials, gems) incur a 15% seller's fee, and the 15% transfer-to-Paypal fee.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The free market determines what is "reasonable" or "fair".

In case any of you missed it we live better than the other 9/10ths of the world, and thats WHILE in the middle of a recession.

If you dont like the price, dont get it. It really is that simple.
OR, go to college, get a better job, and have the money to buy stuff you want. That may sound simple, but theres a couple billion people around the world who will never have that opportunity.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Didn't read through this whole thread, but people are reading that article wrong. Pieces of equipment that are sold will have the $1 seller's fee, and 15% of the selling cost payable to Blizzard if you transfer the money out to your Paypal account. The commodity items (gold, crafting materials, gems) incur a 15% seller's fee, and the 15% transfer-to-Paypal fee.

Yup.

I just wonder how many will bypass the auction house and just buy/sell via websites or use chat to coordinate paypal payment outside the game. The downside to that is you'll be screwed if the seller takes the money and run.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Yup.

I just wonder how many will bypass the auction house and just buy/sell via websites or use chat to coordinate paypal payment outside the game. The downside to that is you'll be screwed if the seller takes the money and run.

Unless the prices are a lot lower buyers will not do it as only the seller is out the fees but it's far too easy to get scammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.