Diablo 3 - Digital Pre-sales now! @ Battle.net

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
34yr here as well but I won't be playing it. :) People really do get hooked on these games.

There was a 65 or so year old computer customer a couple years back we had and he was very, very concerned about when he would get his computer back. He outright said he is addicted to WOW and can't be without the computer. I would never had thought an old man would be playing WOW that intensely....

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
It's a hot deal because the sooner your get into the game, the sooner you can make your money back at the auction house. :colbert:

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
34yr here as well but I won't be playing it. :) People really do get hooked on these games.

There was a 65 or so year old computer customer a couple years back we had and he was very, very concerned about when he would get his computer back. He outright said he is addicted to WOW and can't be without the computer. I would never had thought an old man would be playing WOW that intensely....

When I played WoW, I was in a guild full of the most random people you'd ever encounter. Grandmothers playing with their grandsons, stripper girl and her bf sharing 1 toon, grandfathers, lots of father/son combos, etc.... I must say that WoW transcended generations.

Coltaine

Mar 14, 2012
the big question is whether or not there is any significant difference in the game. I really didn't see any huge difference between starcraft 1 and 2. I suppose if its not broke don't fix it. I just think it would be nice for them to evolve more instead of that evolution being in graphics and not really gameplay so much. I am not a fan boy by any means and I played starcraft and diablo 2. Its just disappointing when there really aren't any major fundamental differences with regards to the quality of game play and evolving the product.

I'm kinda hoping for there to not be many major changes... So far what I've heard has me going back and forth with my feelings on the game like some bi-polar nutcase...

The news I've heard from beta so far begs the question:

How long would I have played D2 if there were no runes/gems/jewels/charms to manically collect, no unlimited storage (in the form of FREE mule accounts) to further my packrat tendencies and if I had no need to ever roll more than one character of a class (aside from HC) since I could totally respec in ~30secs... ?

I'm confident that the first play through of D3 will be head and shoulders above the first play through of D2, but it seems like Blizz is taking away all the reasons I played D2 as long as I did...

I'll be buying and playing as soon as possible, so we'll see...

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm going to hold off as long as I can. First two weeks will be this:
Lag
Thousand patch updates
Lots of reviews that have no depth at all.
Lots of broken shit

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Excuse my ignorance, but in DII you could log onto multiple characters at once to swap over your stuff to a 'mule' character?

In DIII can we use multiple online at once?

Or am I correct in assuming that ability is now gone, and you're playing 1 and 1 only?

CalebRockeT

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Excuse my ignorance, but in DII you could log onto multiple characters at once to swap over your stuff to a 'mule' character?

In DIII can we use multiple online at once?

Or am I correct in assuming that ability is now gone, and you're playing 1 and 1 only?

In Diablo III there is a shared stash that can be accessed by any character on your account. Gold is also shared by all characters on an account.

To my knowledge, you can only use one character at a time. Obviously, with the shared stash, muling is no longer necessary, so that's not a problem.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I want so bad to be excited for this game. I wish I never played the beta.

Same here. I was very much planning on preordering the CE. Now I'll pass until it's in the bargain bin. The beta ruined it for me.

Well, to be specific, Blizzard ruined it and I got a taste of the piece of crap it's turned in to earlier than I should have. At least if I'd spent $100 on it, I'd have been obligated to give it a full playthrough. Now, I don't even feel inclined to buy it.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I'm kinda hoping for there to not be many major changes... So far what I've heard has me going back and forth with my feelings on the game like some bi-polar nutcase...

The news I've heard from beta so far begs the question:

How long would I have played D2 if there were no runes/gems/jewels/charms to manically collect, no unlimited storage (in the form of FREE mule accounts) to further my packrat tendencies and if I had no need to ever roll more than one character of a class (aside from HC) since I could totally respec in ~30secs... ?

I'm confident that the first play through of D3 will be head and shoulders above the first play through of D2, but it seems like Blizz is taking away all the reasons I played D2 as long as I did...

I'll be buying and playing as soon as possible, so we'll see...

The answer to me is "several times" because there was variety with the characters. Each one had different mechanics that made them completely different to play. Diablo 3 only has one mechanic: click on everything that moves until it dies. It doesn't matter what class you are...there is no strategy or variation on that one mechanic. I've played the beta through on all characters and it was always the same, and there was no challenge with any of them.

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
Instead of pre-ordering, you could: Put your money in the bank, accumulate a small amount of interest, and buy it for the same price and receive it at the same time when it is released! Wow! I am quite baffled as to why anyone would ever pre-order something, unless there was an actual deal or some major extras..... What exactly does this accomplish? You're just putting your money for safe keeping in blizzard's bank account.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Instead of pre-ordering, you could: Put your money in the bank, accumulate a small amount of interest, and buy it for the same price and receive it at the same time when it is released! Wow! I am quite baffled as to why anyone would ever pre-order something, unless there was an actual deal or some major extras..... What exactly does this accomplish? You're just putting your money for safe keeping in blizzard's bank account.

Depends on what the deal is. Usually a pre-order they give a 10% discount or some incentive. So if I'm 95% sure I'll like the game I will pre-order.

But since this game gives me zero reason to buy it and I've heard a lot of people disliked the beta...then yeah....doesn't seem much point to pre-order.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
No game has disappointed me that came from blizzard. You people are judging a game that isnt out yet, beta wasn't the game, relax.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
To be fair, I usually never buy anything without looking at reviews so.... I have not played the beta. I hope they dont screw the game up or they will have a lot of unhappy fans. :p

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002

What if they run out of the digital copies?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Pre-ordering generally doesn't cost the full amount, it's only like $5.00. Then you pay the remaining balance when the game is released. So it guarantees you a copy and not having to go searching for it for $5.00.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Blizzard UK -> £44.99
Amazon UK -> £32.97

I think I'll pre-order from Amazon or pre-order the Collectors Edition for £69.99.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm 32 and have been kinda looking forward to it.
Diablo was my first favorite Win95 game and my favorite hack'n'slash for many years. Diablo 2 was my favorite for a little while, but only long enough to race through each character class one time, then I got bored. Never beat the 2nd and 3rd difficulty with any character.

I actually had a lot more fun and staying power with Titan Quest. In fact its been curbing my hunger for Diablo 3 no problem. Ditto Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. But not 3, that sucked.
I went through Fate pretty fast and never bothered with Torchlight.